Pet Peeves...

I couldn't agree more. Where I grew up on the South-Side of Chicago we'd say: "USE GUYS" :)

Mike

What if you were talking about the other guys:confused: Is it 'YOUS GUYS'?

And from Texas... not only y'all... but all y'all.... (you don't want to exclude anybody in the y'all..

I have two pet peeves:

1) Sitting in a restaurant with my family and always being addressed by the server as "you guys". It's not a gender thing with me, it just doesn't sound good to me.

I agree that it is absurd. How would we men feel if mixed groups were addressed as "you girls"?

Still, when in Rome...and where I live it is totally gauche to notice that people come in sexes. So, I hope you ladies and gentlemen will excuse me if I pass you sometime and say, "How you guys doing"? :)

Ha

The thing that drives me nuts is all the people who say "Have a great one " . What does that mean ?

I interpret that to mean "Have stupendous sex at your first opportunity!"
And henceforth you will also have this uniquely pleasing thought several time daily.

ha

Sorry guys. I tend to think of "you guys" or "guys" as gender neutral but "the guys" as male. :)

The "you guys thing" -- I must admit I find it mildly irritating when a 20-something server uses it to address a table of adults old enough to be their grandparents. It's not so much a gender thing as it is being inappropriately familiar.

Kind of like when a receptionist at the dentist yells out, "Richard, you're next. How are you today, sweetheart" and she's 28.

Now, where's that recent Curmudgeon poll...

I interpret that to mean "Have stupendous sex at your first opportunity!"
And henceforth you will also have this uniquely pleasing thought several time daily.

ha

Great interpretation ! I usually answer you do also but now I'll make sure the person is under 90 before I say that .

Hey, all of you...I´m trying to learn good and proper American English so stop F*****G AROUND:D

Hokay. Let's try some basic pronouns.

Dis / dat / dese / dose

"Hello, dis is Vinnie's Pizza."

"Dat guy is gonna get whacked."

"Dese guys will whack anyone for fifty bucks."

"Dose guys stiffed Vinnie. Whack em!"

"The Sopranos": Your reference for American language and culture...

This is a conversation between a young German Oceanographer and I early 1970s. His real first name, not using his last, though if he happens to read this, will recognize the exchange.

Dr Hans: Say, why is it when Americans meet me they say; Hi, How are you? Yet when I proceed to tell them they don't want to hear it, just move along.

Me: That is an Americanism. They really don't care how you are, it is a form of greeting. It took me a while to figure this out.

Dr Hans: well that is very rude, if they don't want to know, they should not ask.

Me: I don't think we will be able to change that, sorry.

Dr Hans: Are there more of these kind of things?

Me: Yes, but I'm still learning them.

I think I'm now up to speed on most forms of greetings. though some still get me thinking.

Like: Yo, whassup?
I tend to answer that with: You is.

The "you guys thing" -- I must admit I find it mildly irritating when a 20-something server uses it to address a table of adults old enough to be their grandparents. It's not so much a gender thing as it is being inappropriately familiar.

My friend put it best: "I did not come here to make friends. This
is a master-servant relationship".

I should hasten to add that he said this to the waiter only in his
fantasy, that we have both worked as waiters, and that we treat
them politely and tip very well.

My pet peeve?

Grammar & spelling [-]Nazis[/-] police.

Pet peeve? Fluffy the pet cat, for one, does not wish her status connected to the idea of peeve. How's about changing that to feral peeve?

Ooh, ooh, I thought of another one that bugs me. Saying I could care less when they should say I couldn't care less. They are saying the opposite of what they mean.

Mike D.

Ooh, ooh, I thought of another one that bugs me. Saying I could care less when they should say I couldn't care less. They are saying the opposite of what they mean.

Mike D.

Once worked with a guy who periodically told me "You ain't sheet." or something that sounded very similar. He was not joking around.

I usually smiled and thanked him. Doubt if he ever "got it".

Once worked with a guy who periodically told me "You ain't sheet." or something that sounded very similar...

I thought that was from a legitimate U.S. dialect? I've heard it that way many times. Whatever, that would not peeve me in the least. I believe the same person who said that, also said, "I'll keep a eye out for...." What peeved me was that one of my co-workers harped on that, "she keeps saying, 'I'll keep a eye out....,'" his rolling eyes were like nails on the blackboard to me. Whatever, (hate the word whatever).

II believe the same person ..... also said, "I'll keep a eye out for...." What peeved me was that one of my co-workers harped on that, "she keeps saying, 'I'll keep a eye out....,'" his rolling eyes were like nails on the blackboard to me. Whatever, (hate the word whatever).

According to this site keep an eye out for: Information from Answers.com, this expression dates back several hundred years...

Back
Top Bottom