Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-19-2010, 08:50 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
3. People walking around in public places talking on hands-free cellphones
I love people walking around in public places talking on hands-free cellphones! (Well, as long as they're not too loud)

You can now walk around in public now having a great conversation out loud with yourself, and no-one thinks a thing about it anymore! What freedom!

Now, people driving one-handed while on the cellphone - that really gets me! It seems like whoever cuts too close, erratically changes lanes or takes corners - those people are ALWAYS on the cellphone!!!!!

Audrey

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2010, 09:06 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I guess this will sound trivial but here goes......

I can't stand to make a purchase when the total comes out to be something like $5.03 and I don't have the change. This results in receiving a handful of coins that I put into my pocket and I just don't like that at all.
Anyone else have this "change phobia"? I love the little "penny bowls" near the registers and always put my pennies into them, and take a few out when I need to.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:32 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
4. Low rise jeans and shirts that are too short to tuck in
Could I vote for this one as an anti-peeve?

Ha
Old 01-19-2010, 10:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Hey, I love American Idol! But, yeah, I do have pet peeves.

1. People who drive too fast or too slow during winter weather.
2. Big SUV's parked on either side of my car.
3. The Beltway.
4. Increased tolls on the Dulles Toll Road.
5. Drivers from Maryland.
6. The Springfield "mixing bowl".
7. Having to get an emmissions inspection.
8. HOV lanes.
9. I-95.
10. People texting or talking on cell phones while driving.

Wait a minute, all my peeves seem to be car or traffic related Welcome to the Washington, DC area.
That's why we moved to West-By-God-Virginia from Maryland. Except Virginia drivers aren't any better. I think it's endemic to the DC area.

1. Rude, selfish, obnoxious, condescending people.

2. Irresponsibility. In any way, shape, or form.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:28 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
That's why we moved to West-By-God-Virginia from Maryland. Except Virginia drivers aren't any better. I think it's endemic to the DC area.
Yeah, it's the age old gripe in this area. VA drivers say MD drivers are the worst and vice versa. Truth is, most drivers here are pretty lousy.

"Country roads, take me home,
To the place where I belong,
West Virginia, mountain mama.
Take me home, country roads."
Old 01-20-2010, 01:14 PM   #26

Much worse: the Pennsylvania drivers driving through Maryland to go to work in Baltimore or DC or the corresponding suburbs.

Also:
Neighbor who lets his car idle for 15 minutes at 5:00 am before he leaves for work.

Me to checkout clerk: "Thank you".
Clerk: "No problem". Well, I'm happy it's not a problem that I'm giving your company my business...

Driver talking on cellphone with a cigarette in the other hand and tailgating me at 60 mph. These are usually women in minivans with a carload of kids, or guys in big ole' pickup trucks. (And I apologize for the stereotypes.)
Old 01-20-2010, 02:13 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I hear ya! I swear, I can be in a 5 acre parking lot, there will be 2 suv/pickups in that lot, and I guarantee they'll sandwich me right in between them.

While I'm on a roll, I'll add....

Customer reps I can barely understand that will tell me their name is 'Kevin'.
Oh yeah baby, I agree with you on the customer service rep. I had one the other day tell me she couldn't understand what I was saying, implying from her tone that the issue was my English not the fact that she could barely string together two words in a comprehensible phrase. Yes Equifax, your customer service sucks.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Oh yeah baby, I agree with you on the customer service rep. I had one the other day tell me she couldn't understand what I was saying, implying from her tone that the issue was my English not the fact that she could barely string together two words in a comprehensible phrase. Yes Equifax, your customer service sucks.
I usally get some guy named "Sammy"..........once I asked "Sammy" what his real name was, and he told me, and I think it had 47 letters in it.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:30 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Change in the bottom of the top loader washer that this short person can't hardly reach.

Rotten avocados "fresh" from the store.

But I love lima beans and eggs.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:10 PM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessert View Post
I guess this will sound trivial but here goes......

I can't stand to make a purchase when the total comes out to be something like $5.03 and I don't have the change. This results in receiving a handful of coins that I put into my pocket and I just don't like that at all.
Anyone else have this "change phobia"? I love the little "penny bowls" near the registers and always put my pennies into them, and take a few out when I need to.
I think it's time that they abolish the penny. When I was a kid, we had plastic red or green "mills" that were worth 1/10th and 1/100th of a penny (if my recollection is correct). They abolished them because they were practically worthless. It's time to do the same for the penny.

I don't like getting change either. To keep my change jar from overflowing, I feel like I have to pay exact change and that slows down checkout lines.

Frank is one of the few that actually loves getting change and seeks it out when possible. He puts it all in his change jar. Then once every month or so he takes his change jar to the bank, and gets hundreds of dollars for it. To him change is found money, and fun money that he spends on whatever he wants.

Often he will give me a dollar for four quarters and we are both happy.

My pet peeve is people who eat snacks, drink sodas, and/or talk on their cell phones in elevators. You'd think they could desist for 30 seconds until they get off the elevator, but they wouldn't dream of being that considerate I suppose.

OK, another pet peeve is stores that won't sell you their display model of something when they run out of it. Back "in the day", they used to do that but often they won't any more.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:22 PM   #31

- Pressing "1" for English!
- The comment, "what did you do, join the Navy when you were 10?" (I KNOW it is a compliment - but it is a peeve!)
- On the grammar note, I second the apostrophe useage and would like to add: to, two, and too misuses!!
- Having to frequently change passwords to get into accounts!!! (military sites notorious for this!)
- paper resumes (I work for the DOL - what am I going to DO with a PAPER resume - it is 2010 people!! E-mail it to me so I can share it electronically with prospective employers!
- Using my name 2+ times in a sentence - or touching me like we are old buds...when I just met you...grrrrr!!
- Limp handshakes
- cell phone conversations in the restroom - makes me want to make obnoxious noises! I overheard a baby daddy drama (she had no idea who fathered her baby...who was in the stall with her)
Old 01-20-2010, 03:35 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I repeat - liver and onions. I can hack Lima beans in my old age.

heh heh heh -
Old 01-20-2010, 05:38 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
I repeat - liver and onions. I can hack Lima beans in my old age.

heh heh heh -
What do you have against onions?
Old 01-20-2010, 06:36 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
What do you have against onions?
Nothing - except they remind me of liver.

heh heh heh -
Old 01-20-2010, 06:43 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Textspeak. Spell it out, people.
BBC News - Phone texting 'helps pupils to spell'

I'm with Haha and Vincent...I vote for low rider jeans, short shirts (especially really really short ones), and weak bra straps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I think it's time that they abolish the penny. When I was a kid, we had plastic red or green "mills" that were worth 1/10th and 1/100th of a penny (if my recollection is correct). They abolished them because they were practically worthless. It's time to do the same for the penny.
Hey, they aren't worthless. I just recently took about 20 lbs of them to the bank, and they gave me $32 for them.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:27 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
2. Dirt and crumbs on counters
What drives me crazy in crumbs in the fridge. What the hell man I don't stand leaning into the fridge eating sandwiches and crackers, nor do I store foods in there that aren't in containers. How on earth are all those crumbs in there?

Also = misleading content for food. Anyone bought slim jims (yeah I know that's not really food) recently? 8 inch tall tube filled with 5 inch tall amalgamated edible meat-style product. Same with lots of bags of stuff, I know some settling can occur but down to 1/3 full.

Salesmen in furniture stores. "I'm just looking" to them means stalk you where ever you go in the store, always in the corner of your eye watching you. Bleh.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:19 PM   #37

A dripping faucet, especially when you are trying to sleep

Dust

forwarded text messages

a child kicking the back of your seat on the airplane

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:54 PM   #38
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Hey, they aren't worthless. I just recently took about 20 lbs of them to the bank, and they gave me $32 for them.
I was amazed and couldn't believe that they were really that heavy, so I weighed a dollar worth of pennies on my kitchen food scale. It came to 9.1 ounces. 9.1 x 32 = 291.2 oz = 18.2 pounds, pretty close to 20 lbs just as you said.

Pennies are HEAVY!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:31 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiuxiu View Post
What drives me crazy in crumbs in the fridge. What the hell man I don't stand leaning into the fridge eating sandwiches and crackers, nor do I store foods in there that aren't in containers. How on earth are all those crumbs in there?
Sorry man....have to tell yuh....not good news....I think you got freezer mice.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:16 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

my single biggest pet peeve is the misuse of the word loose for lose... pennies reminded me of it because we may lose our pennies because they are loose change