Join Early Retirement Today

PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?
Old 01-08-2007, 03:29 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?

Last Wednesday, on Denver radio station KRFX, Colorado Governor Bill Owens leveled words like “losers” and “frauds” at People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), an organization that’s no stranger to controversy. Owens told listeners: “What a bunch of losers. Don’t give your money to PETA.”

Why did the elected leader of the 8th-largest U.S. state unleash his feelings about the animal rights group? As many as 340,000 cows and steers were stranded by southeastern Colorado's latest snowstorm. National Guard units have been mounting a frantic bid to save the freezing animals. Faced with 15-foot snowdrifts, rescuers airlifted bales of hay and hoped for the best.

And when local media asked PETA for help … well … let’s just say the wealthy activist group wasn’t enthusiastic about “saving” future T-bones and rib roasts. On the air, a PETA spokeswoman sniffed: “I don't know that it's really the most noble cause.”

PETA, famous for lobbing rhetorical grenades at hunters, had no sympathy for Colorado’s wildlife either. Asked if her group would intervene to save deer, elk, and other wild animals, the PETA spokeswoman snapped that “there’s really nothing to be done.”

Does PETA care more about hurting ranchers and crippling the beef industry than about “saving” flesh and blood animals? Did Governor Owens finally say out loud what most Coloradans are thinking?

And at PetaKillsAnimals.com, you can also learn about two PETA employees who will face felony Animal Cruelty charges later this month (yes—you read that right) in North Carolina. They allegedly killed dozens of healthy, adoptable animals in the back of a PETA-owned van, and tossed the bodies into a rural trash dumpster. According to government records, PETA killed more than 14,000 dogs, cats, puppies, and kittens between 1998 and 2005.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: PETA~ Are you familiar with these folks?
Old 01-08-2007, 03:42 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i found your article a little odd, but no less so than how the media seemed to try to tug on animal lovers' heartstrings while reporting a story which was really about ranch budgets, not animals' lives. my feeling was the network writers got a little confused and the networks couldn't decide how to play it.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:45 PM   #3

I watched an interview with a rancher looking for her cattle, she said she hated to think they were out there suffering. My comment to dh was, I'll bet she doesn't care how much they suffer once they're at the slaughter house.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:10 PM   #4
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd

Does PETA care more about hurting ranchers and crippling the beef industry than about “saving” flesh and blood animals? Did Governor Owens finally say out loud what most Coloradans are thinking?

.[/i]
I don't see where PETA is "out" to hurt ranchers or cripple the beef industry. If they've decided to use their limited resources to save animals that are not to be ultimately "consumed for pay" then it seems a rational decision to me. What is the "Ranchers Association" doing to help these poor animals. That is where I would look for needed help.
honobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:15 PM   #5

PETA is a group that gives us good liberals a bad name!

Short Story.

A co-worker of mine was shopping for a car for his daughter (self professed PETA member). They found a sporty looking model and daughter was begging Dear Old Dad to buy it. Dad looked inside and noted that it had leather seats and a cow somewhere had to give its life for the car.

The daughter decided that it was for a good cause and that she should get the car
Old 01-08-2007, 04:17 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Don't get me started on a crap organization like PETA...

I remember a comment from one of their national officers... something like it was preferrable to have humans die of diesese then use any animals for testing drugs... they lost all respect with that ONE comment...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:36 PM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat

The daughter decided that it was for a good cause and that she should get the car
Well, now that makes me change my mind completely!
honobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 04:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob
Well, now that makes me change my mind completely!
I was not trying to change your mind. I was just pointing out that many PETA members have no idea of the benefits they are reaping because of animal research of products that they use everyday.

How many cells does an animal have to have before PETA gives it 'Protection'. One-celled animals reside in PETA members eyebrows, so they better not scratch them. Or don't one-celled animals count.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:02 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I have a friend who is a vegetarian and won't even eat cheese that used animal enzymes (renit? Only eats renitless cheese?). But he wears a leather jacket and leather shoes. I asked him about this discrepancy twice, both times he gave me a long, eloquent answer I could not for the life of me decipher, nor remember the next day.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:14 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I'm all for the ethical treatment of animals, but PETA is a PITA...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:50 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

We had a PETA protest in our little town last week by 2 "naked" gals. The police had to come to the place to get the gawkers to move on & keep traffic moving.

KFC doesn't raise chickens, it just fries them.

Every step of the journey is the journey.
Bram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:04 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
PETA is a group that gives us good liberals a bad name!
PETA is an extremist organization. IMHO that is always a bad thing. In fact, I am so upset by PETA that I'm going to eat a steak tonight as a form of protest!!! And a chicken tommorrow! Then some pork loin on Weds....lamb chops on thurs, turkey for lunch everyday this week, fish on friday...etc. etc..etc...

Old 01-08-2007, 07:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence
I have a friend who is a vegetarian and won't even eat cheese that used animal enzymes (renit? Only eats renitless cheese?). But he wears a leather jacket and leather shoes. I asked him about this discrepancy twice, both times he gave me a long, eloquent answer I could not for the life of me decipher, nor remember the next day.
Man, you and I have the same friend! He refuses to eat any cheese that has animal rennet in it. The label HAS to say "rennet from vegetable sources".
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:23 PM   #14
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
I'm all for the ethical treatment of animals, but PETA is a PITA...
My thoughts exactly.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:31 PM   #15

Agreed ... PETA is a group of generally mindless radicals. As noted above, engage a member in conversation sometime ... pitiful. They're also willing to support criminal damage.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:18 PM   #16

I'm all for the ethical treatment of animals!

The correct ethical treatment includes making sure they are properly aged and butchered, then seasoned lightly, placed on a properly fired-up grill, and cooked to perfection!!! Then the ONLY ethical thing to do, is to cut them into bite-sized pieces and eat them!!!

Agreed, PETA is a PITA!!!

Also, does anyone have a good recipe for the preparation of the spotted owl....should they be roasted or fried??
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA)
And here I thought it meant People Eating Tasty Animals.

Pass the steak sauce.

-CC
Old 01-08-2007, 09:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdaCE
And here I thought it meant People Eating Tasty Animals.

Pass the steak sauce.

-CC
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:12 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Agreed PETA is a PITA. They are crazed fanatics but like extreme anti-abortion activists many of them believe in what they are doing. Asking PETA to help feed commercial ranchers' beef so they can be fattened up and slaughtered makes no sense. Same thing with feeding wild animals - PETA would not intervene against nature, only man.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:22 AM   #20

if god hadn't wanted me to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat.

besides, look in the human mouth--canines! them babies are not for grinding veggies. I didn't claw my way up the evolutionary chain to eat turnips!