Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Peter Jennings - A sad way out
Old 08-12-2005, 01:43 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Tortfeasor
I feel for all who have been been hit by the pain of cancer, in one way or another.
My mother resumed smoking when her breast cancer metastasized into her bones. I don't think it helped her immune system or any other part of her body/psyche, but at that point her entire attitude was "Why fight it."

So it became a self-fulfilling prophecy. It wasn't much different from the 9mm approach, but it was a lot longer and more painful... for her too.

But at least my father has quit smoking for good. And we kids never started.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2005, 04:21 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Smoking killed my mother. I've never smoked but I have seen with her and others how incredibly hard it is to quit. Even when she knew that the smoking would kill her, due to the deteriorated condition of her lungs, she couldn't stop, and so it did kill her.

It alternately breaks my heart or infuriates me to see anyone smoke.

Old 08-13-2005, 07:37 PM   #23

My brother died of lung cancer at age 45. He was diagnosed on Halloween and died 3/17, on my birthday. I thought of it as a birthday present, because I knew that he was not suffering anymore and that he was going to a much better place. He had quit smoking 2 years prior to getting it. He also worked in a rubber factory and was around alot of chemicals. I quit smoking 12/31/85 and if I ever get any type of cancer, I will blame it on my own stupidity. I keep wondering if I should pay for a CAT screen to see if I do have lung cancer, so that I could start getting treatment. My brother had radiation treatment, but his cancer was inoperable and the doctor said there was no need for chemo. I would definitely rather go, by the big one!

Dreamer
Old 08-14-2005, 05:09 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer
My brother died of lung cancer at age 45.* He was diagnosed on Halloween and died 3/17, on my birthday.* I thought of it as a birthday present, because I knew that he was not suffering anymore and that he was going to a much better place.* He had quit smoking 2 years prior to getting it.* He also worked in a rubber factory and was around alot of chemicals.* I quit smoking 12/31/85 and if I ever get any type of cancer, I will blame it on my own stupidity.* I keep wondering if I should pay for a CAT screen to see if I do have lung cancer, so that I could start getting treatment.* My brother had radiation treatment, but his cancer was inoperable and the doctor said there was no need for chemo.* I would definitely rather go, by the big one!

Dreamer
I know (knew?) lots of people who died of cancer, but can't think of one
who died of lung cancer. Odd. Anyway, one of my good friends,
(I've posted about him - both parents still living - unusual for our age)
has a father in his late 80s. He has cancer, uses a walker, is mostly
blind and mostly deaf. His mother is about the same age, still puffs
Viceroys and is doing fine. Like I said, smoking is a bad bet but some
people do beat the odds.

JG
Old 08-14-2005, 09:48 AM   #25

My dad was a heavy smoker for at least 50 years before he had a heart attack and quit ( I quit at that time also). He recovered and continued to play tennis daily into his 80's. Dad was diagnosed with lung cancer at age 89 and died within a few months. On the other hand, Mom did not smoke but developed alzheimers in her 70's. She rapidly became unable to care for herself. She spent the last 3 years of her life in a nursing home and also died at age 89.

I am a cancer survivor. I had testicular cancer (like Lance Armstrong) in 1983. I would not wish that experience on anyone. However, I would certainly prefer the rapid way my father went with lung cancer than the path my mom had to follow. I hope that I will have the courage to take the 9mm option instead if I am facing a terminal illness.

Grumpy
Old 08-14-2005, 09:51 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
* I hope that I will have the courage to take the 9mm option instead if I am facing a terminal illness.

* * *Grumpy
Sure nice to retain the option.

JG
Old 08-14-2005, 10:06 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Option wise - still prefer the bottle of vodka and snowbank.

Pleasant trip up North - and being single - leave the credit card unpaid. Of course with a big enough bill - the estate might be dunned.

Heh, heh, heh - there is always snow somewhere.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:31 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I feel your pain too Windsurf. My brother had a cancerous tumour removed from his back last summer. When he was discussing radiation treatment with his doc he casually told the doctor that our parents lived up into their 80's and that he always assumed he would as well. The doctor's reply..."you won't live to be an old man." Well he was correct as my brother died in March at the age of 56. I guess there is a fine line in being honest with a patient and giving false hope, but hope is all a cancer patient has. When that is lost the will to live is lost.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:58 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG51
I feel your pain too Windsurf. My brother had a cancerous tumour removed from his back last summer. When he was discussing radiation treatment with his doc he casually told the doctor that our parents lived up into their 80's and that he always assumed he would as well. The doctor's reply..."you won't live to be an old man." Well he was correct as my brother died in March at the age of 56. I guess there is a fine line in being honest with a patient and giving false hope, but hope is all a cancer patient has. When that is lost the will to live is lost.
We all have our sad stories and misfortunes. Personally, I prefer
100% straight up news, bad or good.

JG
Old 08-14-2005, 03:13 PM   #30

I would hope that I would never comtemplate suicide. However, if I was facing a terminal illness and felt well enough, I would take up skydiving and all of the over things that I am too afraid to do now, but think would be neat things to do. If the parachute did not open, oh well!!

Dreamer
Old 08-15-2005, 08:36 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG51
The doctor's reply..."you won't live to be an old man." Well he was correct as my brother died in March at the age of 56. I
That is harsh. To me it's essential that doctors tell patients the whole, straight truth, but they need to have a class in med school on compasion, IMO.

My dad was trying to find out how his heart condition (atrial fibrillation) was going to affect his life, and his doctor told him, "well I wouldn't buy your toothpaste in the big tube." Dad found it humorous.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:50 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer
I would hope that I would never comtemplate suicide.* However, if I was facing a terminal illness and felt well enough, I would take up skydiving and all of the over things that I am too afraid to do now, but think would be neat things to do.* If the parachute did not open, oh well!! Dreamer
That logic bears examining.

If it's a neat thing to do then is it really necessary to wait until you're at death's door? Is there a better way to overcome the fear, or how long are you willing to be limited by that?

I have six static-line jumps to my credit and it certainly gets your blood pumping, but there are too many other things that I'd rather be doing. I guess it's nice to know that I have something to fall back on, so to speak, if I ever get tired of surfing or yardwork...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:35 PM   #33

I agree Nords. I am such a wimp!

Dreamer