Join Early Retirement Today

Pets in ER
Old 03-12-2007, 08:33 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Pets in ER

So. I very carefully considered the pros and cons of having a dog in ER. It was clear that it would complicate travel plans, limit time we could be away from home, cost money in grooming, vet bills and food. Obivously the cons outweigh the pros of simply having a fuzzy companion around the house.

So we pick up the puppy tonight.

It is a purebred Great Pyrenees, but put up for adoption through the Humane Society. They carefully screened 34 applicants and selected us for the "honor" of recieving one. Part of me is saying we must be out of our minds. But 9 months without a dog, since Rufus died was the longest I'd ever been without one, and some sort of addiction mechanism kicked in, I was like a junkie looking for smack, googling puppy websites all day...... :

Do those of you with dogs find they limit or add to your ER lifestyle?

Any suggestions for naming a dog that will be pure white and 100 lbs?
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Pets in ER
Old 03-12-2007, 08:41 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cotton ball?

Dogs in ER created some limits and challenges, like dog friendly places to go on day trips and the inability to go on trips of more than 2 days without getting an RV.

Adding an infant to the ER mix was considerably more problematic.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 08:46 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I want a dog buddy to pal around with too, but in our case the sticking point is two cats who are getting older & would freak if confronted with a dog. Hell, they run & hide when the doorbell rings. They're a pain sometimes, but we're fond of them & don't want to stress them unnecessarily. Oh well, maybe someday.

Regarding a name for your guy, give him a couple days & he'll suggest his own to you.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:00 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

The dog/cat thing is tough to determine. We merged three cats and three dogs and I fully expected there to be very big problems.

It was a bit dicey at first, but after a year or so there arent any compatibility issues. In fact, the one I least expected to like it, the large male cat, is best friends with Ted. The minute the cat comes in, the two of them sniff each other all over and Ted gives him a big lick on the face, and occasionally gets his nose licked back. Jasmine still shows them her teeth when she thinks i'm not looking, but thats just a jealousy issue.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:17 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
So. I very carefully considered the pros and cons of having a dog in ER. It was clear that it would complicate travel plans, limit time we could be away from home, cost money in grooming, vet bills and food. Obivously the cons outweigh the pros of simply having a fuzzy companion around the house.

So we pick up the puppy tonight.
This is the way I got my first dog that I choose as an adult. Talked it over carefully with my wife and we decided that a dog just would not fit into our lives.

Later that day I ran into a logger who had a Lab puppy that he didn't want to keep, so I took him home. My wife said are you nuts? I denied being nuts but obviously I had a problem with impulse control.

Wife had no job, and we had no kids yet, so she took on the training of this purebred black Lab. She did a fabulous job. He became a great dog, absolutely fearless going into swift water after downed ducks and geese. So eager to hunt that he shook until he could do his thing. He lived a long life, adopted out kids when they came along and was a member of the family.

But yes, they do make lots of things harder to do. (But you knew that)

Ha
Old 03-12-2007, 09:32 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Fortunately, I have someone to leave mine with when I travel. But I would own a pet anyway as they are such good companions. I got mine to help encourage me to get out and walk. She will just come over and look at me if we don't go walking our usual time.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:18 AM   #7

I also find having dogs in retirement pretty much mandatory, in spite
of the occasional problems with travel, etc. It is best if you can find a
friend or two that you can swap babysitting with (this helps with
socialization too). My three get to have a lab, a border collie, 2
different shi-tzus, and a poodle as roommates every once in a while.
Backup is a nice dog-boarding place, which I have picked out but
fortunately not had to use yet, since it will cost about $100/day for
the 3 of them.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:11 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

Sheryl,

Congrats on the baby!

We have a fifteen year old schnauzer who is really not much fun any more. She mostly sleeps. It will break our hearts when we loose her. She has been a big part of our lives.

I have always had dogs, but when our Tootie is gone, we aren't planning on having another one for awhile. We have spent so much on vet bills, special food, grooming and boarding on her that we could have taken a nice long trip to Europe each year for the same amount.

We are now retired and have already taken two trips this year and have another three planned. We are going on a trip to Italy in Sept. and the boarding bill for the dog will be in the neighborhood of $400!

I hope to find enough friends that want me to baby sit for their pups when they take an occasional trip that I can fill the void in my life when Tootie is gone.
Lakerat Nomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:27 PM   #9

Thanks for supporting my insanity.

I have a great boarding kennel that I like and trust, once he is a little older. They are "only" $18/day I think. But I also like the idea of finding someone to trade with. A coworker just got a lab puppy a few weeks ago, so that is a good option.

I guess if you're "dog people" you just gotta have dogs. SO had been resisting because he works to much too take spend the needed time with dog, but now that he has PROMISED to ER in September it will be ok.

And I have my ulterior motives: having the dog will help force him to keep his word about quitting this time.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:37 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sheryl,

Those puppies are SO cute! What dog person could resist??

We are planning to take a "dog break" for a year or so to do some travel, but I'm wondering if we will be able to do it or not - I just love having a dog (or two)!

Did you get Rufus when he was a puppy? They are so bad, but fun!
Old 03-12-2007, 02:53 PM   #11

Rufus was about 5 months when I got him, so he was still puppy-ish, but I missed the little tiny teeth stage. He never chewed, and was already housebroken, so I was lucky!
Old 03-12-2007, 05:51 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Oh those pups are so sweet...maybe you could name your new baby Marshmallow or Sugar.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:01 PM   #13

After my dog died, I didn't hesitate for long to get another one. I knew that having dog affects every part of my life. But I don't care about the negatives, which are almost all tangible. Such as kennel costs, vet bills, housing headaches. The intangible positives are worth so much more, i.e. a warm, furry companion at home on snowy evenings, an enthusiastic hiking companion, and a fun, happy dog grin to come home to.

My recent kennel bill was $400. I just budget the cost into my vacation. Sometimes my son takes care of my dog too. It all works out. Dogs have great karma.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:25 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe
I knew that having dog affects every part of my life. But I don't care about the negatives, which are almost all tangible. Such as kennel costs, vet bills, housing headaches. The intangible positives are worth so much more, i.e. a warm, furry companion at home on snowy evenings, an enthusiastic hiking companion, and a fun, happy dog grin to come home to.
I'm of the same persuasion, though we decided to wait a bit to name Sophie's successor. A dog changes the whole dynamic of our home life and we miss it. Like you said, the negatives basically boil down to cost and pretty minimal inconvenience once you get that first year or so under your belt.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:25 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Only time in my life I didn't have a dog was from the time I left foruniversity at 18 until about age 26 when I got my Lab. Sometimes I had to have family members take care of him if I was away for a long time. I always enjoyed my dogs.

But when my old guy dies -he's 14.5 and a big dog so he is pretty old- I am going to go it alone. At least I think so. Sometimes I think I will do something or other that makes good sense but I find it not OK internally. I'll just have to see.

I know without a dog I need will need more people companionship, but then without a dog that is easier to arrange.

Ha
Old 03-13-2007, 02:17 PM   #16

losing wolfpuppy was a major contributor to my early retirement. i quit that year. i had enough pain.

he was amazingly smart. daylight savings time didn't fool him one bit. five o'clock his time was dinner time regardless of what the clock said. when he wanted his walk, he'd bring me a shoe. if i ignored him he'd bring another shoe. then another. then another. soon every shoe in the house would be surrounding my desk. he'd get frustrated and grab a shoe by the shoestrings and swing them at me. ok ok, i get the hint. sometimes he'd even bring over his leash.

he loved carrots. all on his own he figured out how to open the refrigerator and grab one. he'd get this big ol' smile on while he was prying open the fridge door. if a guest happened to see it, because often he decided to act up when we had company, they'd look at him like they were watching the twilight zone. it was very funny.

i think it will be years before i am able to replace him. also i'm considering selling in 5 years, possibly leading to a life aboard in which case i'd want to start with a new puppy on the boat, or possibly leading to an international vagabond life. so neither the timing nor my heart is ready for another. they sure are great though.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:47 PM   #17
gone traveling

Beavers!

Yes we have a family of Beavers in the backyard , Looks like I now have a 3 foot bass pond!

A bunch of Lizards on the deck, neat colors!
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe
After my dog died, I didn't hesitate for long to get another one. I knew that having dog affects every part of my life. But I don't care about the negatives, which are almost all tangible. Such as kennel costs, vet bills, housing headaches. The intangible positives are worth so much more, i.e. a warm, furry companion at home on snowy evenings, an enthusiastic hiking companion, and a fun, happy dog grin to come home to.

My recent kennel bill was $400. I just budget the cost into my vacation. Sometimes my son takes care of my dog too. It all works out. Dogs have great karma.
Exactly!

Puppy is home, and adorable. But still nameless. We have to make a decision today or he will think his name is Hey You.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:04 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Any suggestions for naming a dog that will be pure white and 100 lbs?
Are "Blizzard" or "Avalanche" too obvious? How 'bout "Tundra" or "Yukon?"

Wait... "Yeti!"

Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:57 AM   #20

Oh I like Yeti , it's different for a dog.

"hey you" works on my dog as well as a host of other names, as long as they are said in an endearing tone he'll respond.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote