Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We took my dad's cocker Spaniel last year when he died. I think he knew we would, since we gave him to my dad. He got along with our pets and had a great year of fun before dying recently( the dog). The cat my dad owned went to my cousin, who requested him. We provided some money for his care.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2011, 08:50 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Regarding taking over others' pets, or willing pets to others, I think it sometimes has unintended negative effects. My sister has two such dogs, and it has pretty much ruined her life. She doesn't realize this because she is so stubborn and clueless, but these poorly trained aged animals annoyed her husband enough by running up bills, destroying furniture and making the house basically unpleasant to occupy, that he finally had enough and left. Same with her adult daughter, who might have benefitted by being longer at home, but got tired of living in an animal menagerie. There is another issue. Sometimes pet related chores can become just one more thing to struggle with children over, and most parents will say that there are already plenty of struggles in those relationships anyway.
Ha
I'd say your sister ruined her own life. The dogs were ancillary to her problems with family members. Dog training classes would have been way cheaper than a divorce. I think you could rent out dogs that would run off adult children who linger around the homeplace after becoming adults, too!

Just sayin'...

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Pets in Will
Old 06-14-2011, 01:03 PM   #23
Confused about dryer sheets

Pets in Will

We have two 13 year old cats. If my spouse and I go at the same time, then our son has promised to take care of them. It's the least he can do, since he is our only child and will receive whatever is left of our estate.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #24
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
If we end up catless in later years, we will consider adopting a senior cat that has been abandoned by their owners, either through death or moving into a senior's facility.
It's tough to get along without a pussy ...

Hey mods - don't be so quick to censure me. DW had a lot of cats in her youth.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:26 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm almost 53. My dogs are 11 and 12. It's pretty unlikely that they will outlive me.
My Trust Attorney has a special note reminding them that I have 2 dogs that would require kenneling if I were temporarily incapacitated or placement if I am permanently incapacitated or "toast". I have named the Humane Society as a beneficiary in my Will so I'm confident the dogs will be cared for until they are adopted.
With Mr B living with me, he would care for them if I were still alive. If not, he knows to call the Trust Attorney and do the right thing for the dogs.
I wouldn't expect him to take on my 2 dogs if I passed, but I think he would. It would be entirely his decision to stay or not stay in the house, with or without the dogs.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I'd say your sister ruined her own life. The dogs were ancillary to her problems with family members. Dog training classes would have been way cheaper than a divorce. I think you could rent out dogs that would run off adult children who linger around the homeplace after becoming adults, too!

Just sayin'...
That is one viewpoint. True, she didn't need a lot of help from the dogs, but they were certainly the finishing touch.

People on this board are madly in love, and will adjust to their spouses come hell or high water (except of course an affair), but for many people there is always a balancing act, and there is such a thing as the last straw.

I know a lot more people who have jettisoned spouses than who have retired early. (Again, excepting this board.)

Ha
Old 06-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
It's tough to get along without a pussy ...

Hey mods - don't be so quick to censure me. DW had a lot of cats in her youth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vader Kitteh.jpg (39.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 06-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
That is certainly one viewpoint. True, she didn't need a lot of help from the dogs, but they were certainly the finishing touch.

People on this board are madly in love, and will adjust to their spouses come hell or high water (except of course an affair), but for many people there is always a balancing act, and there is such a thing as the last straw.

I know a lot more people who have jettisoned spouses than who have retired early. (Again, excepting this board.)

Ha
Hmmm...sounds like a good subject for a government funded study - Do people who retire early get along better with their spouses. Or at least have a lower divorce rate? I know DW used to get really tired of having me come home from w*rk and piss and moan about my boss and all the office politics. ER facilitated the removal of a serious point of stress in our relationship.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:36 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Hmmm...sounds like a good subject for a government funded study - Do people who retire early get along better with their spouses. .

I think it depends on the size and lay out of their houses .
Old 06-15-2011, 08:53 AM   #30

I think that Harley's point is a good one, though, because people who have expensive divorces have a harder time early retiring than those who have kept the old ball and chain around all those years.
Having said that, I think the key to happiness is having low expectations all the way around.
And yes, after living with DH on a 28 foot sailboat in the oppressive Bahamian heat one summer, you really can find out how well you get along when you are living in those close quarters!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:10 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Our only pets now are the squirrels that thieve my garden and the birds that nested on our porch. It simplifies getting away on a spur of the moment road trip.

As for getting along in early retirement, I am planning a BIG detached garage with amenities... and a good lock...and soundproof...no phone.... My DW is all for it but wants it to lock from the outside.

I do remember an actual study about happiness and housing that found the happiest had two bathrooms.