Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 08:01 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One should not speak ill of the dead but ...

I really do not understand the destructively addictive habits people have. I'm afraid my opinion of people goes down a notch or two when they do something terrible to themselves and in Hoffman's case, to the family.

Also, as we have seen in cycling, drugs can be used to enhance performance. Is it possible that Hoffman was a better actor then he would have been without drugs? Maybe he could have been a better actor without drugs? I don't feel strongly about either thesis, just putting it out there.

I really liked The Talented Mr. Ripley (Hoffman was Freddy in it) and recently started reading that 1955 novel by Patricia Highsmith. Then I read that Highsmith didn't like blacks and was anti-Semitic (see Wikipedia on this one) and had several other unpleasant traits. Now I'm conflicted on her art. Was she just nuts and so the literature seemed unusual and interesting although dark? Was she presenting a side of human nature that ought to be much less celebrated? Reading about Ripley and watching Matt Damon who played the character, one almost is rooting for this villain to succeed.

Well, this is my essay for the day. Talking points that one can ignore if they are too troubling.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2014, 08:36 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Hearing about the news kinda reminded me of hearing when Chris Farley died also from drugs. Sad news.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
One should not speak ill of the dead but ...
If he died by car accident, was assassinated, etc., he would have drawn more sympathy. I for one can't sympathize with a person who died with needle sticking out in his arm.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:31 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

A short article about how heroin kills, why it happens so frequently.
National Geographic: How Heroin Kills
Several factors, including the unique way it differentially affects portions of our brain, increasingly potent things it is now adulterated with, etc.

Also I heard a bit on NPR today about why there are more heroin users today than a few years ago. Basically, when the spotlight was turned on the high rate of prescription opioid abuse, doctors cut back on prescriptions, registries were started to track those who shopped for doctors, etc. The price of illicit prescription opioids went up, and the availability went down. Users of these drugs turned increasingly to heroin.

Regarding Hoffman--there's more to all of us than just our dark side. Conversely, maybe we put our entertainers on a bit of a pedestal.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:16 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post

If he died by car accident, was assassinated, etc., he would have drawn more sympathy. I for one can't sympathize with a person who died with needle sticking out in his arm.
Perhaps you can spare some sympathy for the mother of his children, and his three children, all under the age of eleven. All they know is their dad is never coming back.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:44 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Such a shame....He was equally great in dramas and comedies.
Another example of money not buying peace/happiness.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:19 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Perhaps you can spare some sympathy for the mother of his children, and his three children, all under the age of eleven. All they know is their dad is never coming back.
Sure, I can spare it. I recently lost a younger brother who left a young DW & DD behind. He struggled for 8 years to beat cancer and finally succumbed to fate. He fought to live one more day until his last day on earth. The ordeal took a heavy toll on me as I was taking care of him part time. Compare to his death, a death like this when someone is basically killing himself?

There are thousands of people who die every day. RIP to all of them. The only reason that this man is getting a lot sympathy from perfect strangers is b/c he was a celebrity. I am not one of them.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:27 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

It is hard to muster sympathy for self-destructive behavior, but I'm not sure a heroin addict has full control over themselves.

Agree, though, that there's something weird about celebrity worship...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Closed Thread