Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-24-2013, 11:40 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I usually am insulted by stereotyping of people over, say, 50 as being technologically ignorant. I didn't find this ad insulting.

I personally am not technologically ignorant. I own a gaming desktop, gaming notebook, an iPad, and a Smartphone - all of which I fully know how to use. However, I found the ad interesting because the phone in the ad did do some things that I hadn't seen before.
I didn't bother to watch the ad. Why would I? I skip all ads when possible!

I may be a little rusty on cutting edge computer tech, but I have been using PCs more or less since they were invented, I have "some" skills at coding, and I've been in semiconductors for thirty years.

So there...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2013, 05:26 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Come on guys. Pool party, bikinis, really. If this were a beer commercial would all y'all be offended?

Zedd

Old 05-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I know it's a commercial, but I think it is a glimpse of our society and and an exaggerated look on how those things, (smartphones), have changed it.

If an alien landed and watched people acting like that...playing around with a funny little gadget that runs people's lives instead of really communicating and doing real life things...that alien would conclude that the human species is a pretty low form of life and move on to another planet. A little device is controlling the humans causing them to do illogical things, (like spending their last dime to keep the gadget up to date and with an unlimited subscription). A master race...the "Samsung's", are taking control of the humans through this device. That would be a good start for a science (non)fiction short story...by the way.

A deeper look at the commercial shows many older people have a different sense of values and politeness...but some of them are getting sucked in...like getting hooked on crack by the younger people.

Sorry...but that's also my take on the people that are wrapped up in their tweets and annoying habits those gadgets have caused to change the values of our society.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:06 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

All I know is you rarely hear of a 30+ running over a pedestrian (or into the back of a dump truck) while texting. Just an observation with no particular relevance to the discussion I suppose. Just suggesting that being hip isn't necessarily all it's cracked up to be. Just ask Huey.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:51 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Took my wife for an eye exam last week. The office was packed. Myself and one other geezer were reading paperback books. Everyone else in the office was on devices. Same with waiting for a flight recently - everyone was locked into their devices. The former banks of phones have been replaced by tech counters with outlets. You will also see people driving while talking on their phones at any hour of the day. Who do they talk to? What can they find to talk about? I don't think I make more than a couple phone calls a month.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I thought the commercial was funny. It is over the top

The commercials that used to make my teeth grind were the ones showing kids and fathers making a mess (spilling drinks, muddy feet, doing things in the house that belonged outside, etc) and there was good ol' Mom to clean up after them.

On the lighter side, here's a Mr Clean ad that I'm sure never made it on TV. It's a bit risque, but funny if you have a good sense of humor.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:50 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idnar7 View Post
You will also see people driving while talking on their phones at any hour of the day. Who do they talk to? What can they find to talk about? I don't think I make more than a couple phone calls a month.
Thank you! I thought I was the only one. What the heck do you have to say that you are always on the phone?

I put about 5k miles on the car the last 2 months. Lots of driving. Almost without exception, when I would come upon a car that was going slow, or not obeying the lane markers, it was someone looking at their device (or typing on it).

This is very dangerous and irritating. You are going 70 and pass them as they are doing 55. Once they finish, they zoom by you at 80. Then 1/2 hour later, you are passing the slow weaver again as they are answering their next text. This is craziness! I know it is now illegal almost everywhere, but it doesn't matter, it is accepted amongst the "youngsters." (I'm officially old, I guess.)
Old 05-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
This is craziness! I know it is now illegal almost everywhere, but it doesn't matter, it is accepted amongst the "youngsters." (I'm officially old, I guess.)
I see 30 something mothers doing this very often. Since I walk, I watch the drivers very carefully, and no way is this solely a problem for the so called youngsters.

Ha
Old 05-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I see 30 something mothers doing this very often. Since I walk, I watch the drivers very carefully, and no way is this solely a problem for the so called youngsters.

Ha
When I drive, I have gotten to the point that I assume ALL drivers are using their cell phone. I see too many examples of approaches to stop signs and yield signs without one iota of speed decrease.
Then screeeeech on come the brakes. Or so I desperately hope that will happen.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
If an alien landed and watched people acting like that...playing around with a funny little gadget that runs people's lives instead of really communicating and doing real life things...that alien would conclude that the human species is a pretty low form of life and move on to another planet. A little device is controlling the humans causing them to do illogical things, (like spending their last dime to keep the gadget up to date and with an unlimited subscription).
Your comments reminded me of a short film I saw years ago where aliens thought cars were the dominant species and human were parasites that cohabited with cars.

What on Earth! by Les Drew & Kaj Pindal - NFB
Old 05-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #31

Some mornings I wake up and wonder what the latest cause of "outrage on the internet" will be. I guess these ads are today's

I agree with donheff, who said that they were simply having a little fun with stereotypes.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:27 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
Your comments reminded me of a short film I saw years ago where aliens thought cars were the dominant species and human were parasites that cohabited with cars.

Dark!

Ha
Old 05-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #33

I didn't find it insulting, but I look at commercials as sources of humor and not as content to consider when buying a product.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I didn't bother to watch the ad. Why would I? I skip all ads when possible!
+1. And it's pretty much always possible. Even if I'm not watching a show I've DVRed, I usually start watching the show, pause it for about 10 mintues while I do a few things, play on the computer, whatever, then I can FF through the commercials from that point on. The best way to protest crappy (ie. all) commercials is to not watch them.

And this is an improvement. I've never watched ads. And my theory is that avoiding them helped me LBYM by not making me "want" things. Before the introduction of the the DVR I used to change channels when the commercials came on. DW is much less unhappy with me since we got the DVR.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:17 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
DW is much less unhappy with me since we got the DVR.
Harley, I love the way you phrase this. You have the syntax of the veteran husband.

Ha
Old 05-31-2013, 08:00 AM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post

That's pretty good! My kind of stuff. I bookmarked that NFB website since it is a lot like Vimeo with a lot of artistic abilities.

Tags
phone commercial