Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Phone commercial insults older people...
Old 05-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Phone commercial insults older people...

And I don't mean just retirement age or those near it. In the commercial those under about 27 are seen as hip and knowledgeable, while those over about 30 don't seem to have a clue what is going on.

Why would they do this? What is the point in insulting any large group of people who might purchase your product? It reminds of of commercials which show the husband/father figure as some type of nitwit while the wife and kids are so smart. Gosh, that really makes me want to buy the product!

Or, maybe the older people have more important things to do with their lives than fuss over a phone with a few more features of limited utility?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here's another Samsung commercial that is raising some hackles among men.

Perhaps that's their new strategy?

Yahoo! Shine - Women's Lifestyle | Healthy Living and Fashion Blogs
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

These anti-male sexist portrayals are at least 50 years old in the US. And ageism is eternal.

Basically, look around at today's society, and ask yourself as a man of some age- would you take responsibility for any of this crap?

I will start worrying about the man's status when men start primping more than the ladies before a date.

Ha
Old 05-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Right. Chuckanut probably started the whole "Don't trust anyone over 30" thing back when he was under 30.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Chuck, the truth is sometimes hurtful.

I wasn't at all offended.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

you just wanted to post the bikini pics where you could play them over again
Seriously the commercial is dinging the I phone not the users age.
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

While some seniors are tech savvy, there's certainly some truth to it. Plenty of people my age could play the part in the ad. I know people young and old with smartphones who don't begin to tap into what they can do, they use the phone and maybe text (only because their kids would never respond otherwise).

There are certainly ads that show seniors favorably, and Gen X/Y or Millenials unfavorably.

If you can't laugh at yourself...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:35 PM   #8

The ad is obviously geared to those under 30 so I see no biggie here. Of course they made the white males look like idiots but that's been par for the course for many years. Younger people are better as a generalization using new technology. Hey I don't have a cell much less a smart phone and I couldn't give a f&$k if their GD smart a$$ phone can turn on a tv and share pictures by touching another smart phone, I have no need to do those things.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:04 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

No insult, they simply play a little with stereotypes. And the commercial was not all old vs young. A young woman was impressed with a feature she never saw before and by the end the clueless, middle aged white guy was ready to buy one himself. I just returned from a biking trip in France with a bunch of boomers my age and older. I was impressed with the number of smart phones and other tech devices in wide use, including by some late 70s folks. We tend not to be into texting, instagram, twitter, and the like as much as kids but so what? That may just show that we are smarter than our clueless offspring.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:34 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Many of us are 50 and over, or approaching. I have news for you:

advertisers don't care about you anymore.

The "important demographic" is 18 to 49. After that, you are considered someone too stodgy with your cash, too hard to get you to make the impulse buy.

I consider it a sign of maturity. You're probably going to ignore the commercials anyway, so don't worry about them.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:57 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I laugh at myself all the time so I thought the commercial was funny.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
What is the point in insulting any large group of people who might purchase your product?
I didn't see it that way at all.
To me, the commercial came across as simply an ad for "the latest and greatest" version of a smartphone, which the younger early adopters were more likely to already own. The older folks were simply marveling at its capabilities. I saw no form of insult to them (me).
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:23 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

The ad didn't bother me either - I was expecting something far more insulting based on your impression of it. But to each their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Many of us are 50 and over, or approaching. I have news for you:

advertisers don't care about you anymore.
It "depends" on what they are advertising.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
It "depends" on what they are advertising.

-ERD50
You want an annuity with those diapers?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

The ad's dig was that people with iPhones are old, so we need to buy whatever this phone is so we'll not be perceived as old. Meaning being perceived as old is something everyone should try to avoid.

So yes, it was an insult, but I still thought it was funny. The funniest thing is that I remember "iPhone" but cannot remember the phone we all need to get so we're not old anymore. So maybe the ad backfired.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I thought the "neanderthal guy" ad was more insulting.

But I still laughed at it too. Doesn't really bother me.

Not sure I'm going to go out and buy a smart tv device now because I don't want to become the next Stepford Husband (which the ad fantasizes about).

Here's an article describing how advertisers are not only focusing on the younger set, but specifically young women, especially in tech. It is a change of sorts, at least for the cutting edge companies. Samsung seems to have bought into the idea with the neanderthal ad: Sorry, Young Man, You're Not the Most Important Demographic in Tech - Alexis C. Madrigal - The Atlantic
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Right. Chuckanut probably started the whole "Don't trust anyone over 30" thing back when he was under 30.
You bet I did. Those ignorant old folks couldn't even play an 8 Track tape without getting it tangled.

How did you know that?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #18

I didn't get the insulting part. I thought the ad was funny (and clever). The kids in the ad weren't disrespectful and the adults weren't offended. It seemed that the people in the ad were all enjoying themselves. And, like the adults in the ad, I was amazed by some of the things the phones could do. What exactly in this ad did anyone find insulting?
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I don't take offense. I don't even have a smartphone, but I still have no problem messing with anyone under the age of 30. It's too easy........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I usually am insulted by stereotyping of people over, say, 50 as being technologically ignorant. I didn't find this ad insulting.

I personally am not technologically ignorant. I own a gaming desktop, gaming notebook, an iPad, and a Smartphone - all of which I fully know how to use. However, I found the ad interesting because the phone in the ad did do some things that I hadn't seen before.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phone commercial