phone scams

HsiaoChu

Recycles dryer sheets
I don't understand people complaining that they got caught by a phone scam.

There was another article in the paper about some retired person who was ripped off, and anther one about someone who "was really good at resisting them."

I'm really good too. When I don't recognize the number on the incoming call, or its an 800 number, I don't answer the phone. I assume that if its someone who really wants to talk to me then s/he will leave a message.

I guess some retire people are a) just really really lonely and will talk to anyone, or b) don't really have all their marbles anymore and as such will believe anything someone on the phone tells them.

I guess some retire people are a) just really really lonely and will talk to anyone, or b) don't really have all their marbles anymore and as such will believe anything someone on the phone tells them.

Think about your work as a professional counselor in the school system. You know well that children are very different from one another with each having unique issues. Adults are that way too and some are vulnerable to being scammed for a number of reasons. Professional scammers take advantage of this. It's really a shame. I am a strong proponent of the death penalty for phone scammers. Or, at least daily water boarding. :cool:

I guess I used a poor choice of words in saying "I don't understand." Actually after 40 years of dealing with people professionally, there is little about people's interactions that surprises me completely.

Until they took my mother's phone away, her loneliness caused her to answer every call. and she lost a lot of many to these scammers and then even more money to people who claimed that they could get her money back from the lost scammers if she would just pay them a little money.

It was more of a comment on the sadness of people being susceptible to scams either out of loneliness or out not understanding.

Back
Top Bottom