Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2015, 07:57 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
jetpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 318
Good time to get into the telemarketing business. Sell them something while you have them on the line ;-)
__________________

__________________
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2015, 10:56 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.
cantlogin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pocono Mtns.
Posts: 884
Maybe I'm naive or under educated, but I still don't understand the motivation for this type of thing. How does anyone benefit from this?

Tangentially related, I sometimes get spam emails that show my email address as the sender. I understand that as well as I do the phone thing.
__________________

__________________
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:29 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
Maybe I'm naive or under educated, but I still don't understand the motivation for this type of thing. How does anyone benefit from this?

Tangentially related, I sometimes get spam emails that show my email address as the sender. I understand that as well as I do the phone thing.
That is what DW asked.... why would someone do this?

She said that there is no way they can know what is happening... only that they can think in their mind what has happened....
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:31 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,278
Well, it had slowed down since yesterday...


BUT.... since sitting down here the phone has rang 5 times... so I think that there might be another day of this happening and today is just starting... we will see...
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:44 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,375
The spoofers know most people would ignore a call from an unknown ID but don't want their real number showing up (probably overseas) which most of us would block immediate ately. They don't want to be called back, they just want their robo calls showing the spoofed number to continue so they can reach the tiny percentage of vulnerable targets to fall into their trap (recently in my town the police reported someone sent $16,000 in a internet scam, and another person sent more than $1,000 to pay for (bogus) shipping of a free puppy another scammer promised).

I would hope there are good guys writing a program that would protect against spoofing but the bad guys would probably be one step ahead of them anyway.
__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:49 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,890
Ever since I got an accept list based call blocker device for my landline, I wouldn't want to go without one again. I used to get on average about 6 calls a day from telemarketers. Now, I've noticed a decrease to maybe 1 or 2. With my blocker, a call still rings once before the blocker takes over and either hangs up if on my reject list or gives a recording (which I don't hear) telling the telemarketer to buzz off .
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:54 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
The spoofers know most people would ignore a call from an unknown ID but don't want their real number showing up (probably overseas) which most of us would block immediate ately. They don't want to be called back, they just want their robo calls showing the spoofed number to continue so they can reach the tiny percentage of vulnerable targets to fall into their trap (recently in my town the police reported someone sent $16,000 in a internet scam, and another person sent more than $1,000 to pay for (bogus) shipping of a free puppy another scammer promised).

I would hope there are good guys writing a program that would protect against spoofing but the bad guys would probably be one step ahead of them anyway.


But this is not like that... they are not using my number to try and sell anything... I have actually talked to two of the people and their phone rang one time and then hung up... so they call ME back asking why I am calling them....

I agree that if they are trying to scam people out of money all it takes is a few people to respond.... I just do not get what they get out of this...


So far today got 6 phone messages before pulling the plug and 11 since...


I just do not understand why people will return a call from someone they do not know...
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:00 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,375
That one ring and hang-up is weird, TP--I forgot you mentioned that. Perhaps the hackers are running tests using spoofed numbers to perfect their work for further nefarious endeavors.

Hopefully their use of your number is only temporary and you won't feel the need to give it up.
__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:32 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 8,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I just do not get what they get out of this
My guess is that they are simply building a database of real live phone numbers they can then sell to other telemarketers.

Anyway, FWIW:
I was beside myself with all the spam/spoofed/junk phone calls, so I dropped the landline a couple of years ago and switched to Ooma. Instantly the number of false calls dropped by 90%.

Then about a year ago, Ooma hooked up with Nomorobo, and since then I have received LESS than one bad call per month. So delightful.

The hassle of notifying all my friends of my new home phone number was ridiculously tiny compared to the benefits of making the switch.

There is one downside: During an extended power outage, you obviously can't make or receive calls with Ooma. But frequently the cell towers will still be operating so you can use your mobile phone.
__________________
braumeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 04:26 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I just do not understand why people will return a call from someone they do not know...
Because the scammer left a message saying he has good news about that contest they entered some time back. Instead of calling the number the scammer recites (which the recipient may have previously blocked), the recipient simply hits "return call" which goes to the spoofed number (yours).
__________________
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:59 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Lsbcal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: west coast, hi there!
Posts: 5,686
The last few days we've gotten 2 calls from an outside area code and it only rang twice. So I just blocked it and got another call last night. The Panasonic unit just let's you know with one ring then disconnects. Hope I didn't block someone who I needed to hear from -- always have a niggling concern there, oh well.
__________________
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:17 PM   #32
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 16,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Hope I didn't block someone who I needed to hear from -- always have a niggling concern there, oh well.
If it's important enough, they'll eventually write a letter.
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:16 PM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Lsbcal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: west coast, hi there!
Posts: 5,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
If it's important enough, they'll eventually write a letter.
I'm trying to remember when I last got a handwritten letter.
__________________
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:25 PM   #34
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 16,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I'm trying to remember when I last got a handwritten letter.
I think the last time I wrote one was in the mid or late 1990's. The water co. had been relining the pipes and we had greatly diminished water flow afterward. They're generally pretty good about responsiveness and I'd left several messages on the contact guy's phone but got no response so I resorted to writing a letter, figuring they're harder to ignore, and he called back in a few days when he got the letter.

He first apologized profusely, and said the letter was the first indication he had that his voicemail system had a malfunction in that it would take messages but not let him know they were there. I'm inclined to believe him.
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:22 PM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,620
In the old days before cell phones, one could set their phone to do automatic call forwarding. So if you dialed their number your call was forwarded automatically to the number they had put in. The hitch was that the person calling had no idea that you had forwarded your number to another phone.

This led to the following for me: I was renting a home and moved out quickly but did not have time to get phone service switched. The landlord moved into the previously rented home and noticed the phone worked, so she had her number forwarded to my number. Her friends, family, and renters called her old number and were forwarded to my number. She just picked up the phone in my old place and talked to everybody. Until …

… until a couple days later the phone company switched my number to my new place. From that point on, I got all her calls which were still being forwarded to my number. It was quite amusing because I would tell folks they had the wrong number.
What number did you dial?
I dialed 414-2312.
Well, that's not this number.
Yes, it is. I didn't make a mistake dialing. Don't you tell me I don't know how to dial.
Nevertheless, Cindy is not here and has never been here.
I talked to her yesterday by calling this number. You are so full of it.

I figured out what she had done, but I could not call her because I always got a busy signal because her number was forwarded to the phone I was calling from. So I call the phone company. The customer service person was pretty dim-witted and said, "OK, I'll call her number." I replied, it will be busy because I am talking to you now. She dialed anyways and said, "She must be talking on the phone because it's busy."

A day later the ex-landlord turned off call forwarding herself. But I had made her mother pretty mad at me as well as some of her other tenants before she cancelled the call forwarding.

So I'm wondering if something like this happened where someone set forwarding but mis-entered the number and it's going to TexasProud.
__________________
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:02 PM   #36
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Cobra9777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
...Hope it is not a new number... I have had this one for over 30 years...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Also, I got a call from the "IRS" this morning .... saying that they were going to file a lawsuit against me etc. etc.... I wonder if there is any connection between these two scams....
I suspect you pissed off the "IRS" scammers and this is your payback. My advice: ditch the 30-year-old landline number. Too many scammers, telemarketers, and pollsters have it in their database. And ditch Comcast phone/TV while you're at it. Keep internet only. Give your landline phones a fresh new number with Obi+GV for free. Give the new number to family and friends only. Never use it on a website. We had the same landline number from 1981 through 2013. Starting fresh is good for the soul.
__________________
Retired at 52 in July 2013. On to better things...
AA: 55% stock, 15% real estate, 27% bonds, 3% cash
WR: 2.0% SI: 2 pensions, some rental income, SS later
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:28 PM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
redduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: yonder
Posts: 2,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
...An earlier poster mentioned the scam IRS calls. I got one of those, it is just unfathomable to me that anyone would be naive enough to not know that is a scam. How do these people get through life?
-ERD50
Just barely. (Do not ask me how I know this).
__________________
Carpe cōleī
redduck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:06 PM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Because the scammer left a message saying he has good news about that contest they entered some time back. Instead of calling the number the scammer recites (which the recipient may have previously blocked), the recipient simply hits "return call" which goes to the spoofed number (yours).

I have talked to a few of the people... NO message is being given... it is a ring to them and a hang up... so I know they are not trying to sell them anything...
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:14 PM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
In the old days before cell phones, one could set their phone to do automatic call forwarding. So if you dialed their number your call was forwarded automatically to the number they had put in. The hitch was that the person calling had no idea that you had forwarded your number to another phone.

This led to the following for me: I was renting a home and moved out quickly but did not have time to get phone service switched. The landlord moved into the previously rented home and noticed the phone worked, so she had her number forwarded to my number. Her friends, family, and renters called her old number and were forwarded to my number. She just picked up the phone in my old place and talked to everybody. Until …

… until a couple days later the phone company switched my number to my new place. From that point on, I got all her calls which were still being forwarded to my number. It was quite amusing because I would tell folks they had the wrong number.
What number did you dial?
I dialed 414-2312.
Well, that's not this number.
Yes, it is. I didn't make a mistake dialing. Don't you tell me I don't know how to dial.
Nevertheless, Cindy is not here and has never been here.
I talked to her yesterday by calling this number. You are so full of it.

I figured out what she had done, but I could not call her because I always got a busy signal because her number was forwarded to the phone I was calling from. So I call the phone company. The customer service person was pretty dim-witted and said, "OK, I'll call her number." I replied, it will be busy because I am talking to you now. She dialed anyways and said, "She must be talking on the phone because it's busy."

A day later the ex-landlord turned off call forwarding herself. But I had made her mother pretty mad at me as well as some of her other tenants before she cancelled the call forwarding.

So I'm wondering if something like this happened where someone set forwarding but mis-entered the number and it's going to TexasProud.

LOL... reminds me when this feature first came out.... long before cell phones... I had a friend who was 'on call' often... so he paid the big money to have this feature... had forwarded his number to mine since he was coming over to watch a game... but after he left he forgot to turn it off... I would get his calls and was pretty pissed when I got calls in the middle of the night asking 'me' to come to work... same kinda conversation with 'what number did you dial' etc....

The worst part is that AT&T could (or would) not turn this feature off... his phone worked just fine when he called out, but all his incoming came to me.... it was a week before someone at his work told him to fix the problem....
__________________

__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Caller ID Got Spoofed easysurfer Other topics 16 10-29-2014 02:17 PM
Smart phone/ House phone Lodell Other topics 32 03-19-2013 08:09 PM
Best place to get a cell phone / cell phone plan? bank5 Other topics 4 09-18-2009 06:01 AM
Re-activate old cell phone, or keep new phone? thefed Other topics 10 05-09-2009 10:42 PM
Replacing The Landbased Phone With a Cell Phone Danny Other topics 12 11-04-2005 07:12 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:16 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.