Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I don't think all 20-somethings are clueless about life. Most, but not all.
I actually hope all 20-somethings are clueless about life. It will hit them in the face soon enough.

Eta: what's that Bob Seger line, "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." Amazing I can remember it being only 3 years from medicare and my special old people's phone....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Thanks... I figgered there'd be a way... Have some friends who will thank you too.
THANK YOU! (but now you've ruined my day because I'll spend the rest of today thinking about how this great idea/product will work for me...)
Old 12-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelm View Post
...I am a firm believer that every senior should hang that emergency one button calling thing around their neck...
My thoughts are slightly different on this matter: I am a firm believer that most people should have some kind of emergency calling thing.

Actually, this is one of the main reasons I started carrying a cell phone myself many years ago. I spend a great deal of time alone (seriously introverted, maybe selfish, need lots of me time to be happy). While this is not the product targeted to the elderly in those late night TV ads, for me, it servers the same purpose: If I am incapacitated but still able bodied enough to press the button on one of those things, I can almost certainly dial 911 on my phone. I have known younger people over the years that have needed but not had this kind of technology and suffered for not having it:
  • After a car accident, a friend in high school was trapped in his wrecked car for almost 24 hours before someone found him. (This was long before the era of cell phones.)
  • I have known a few folks who had serious bicycle accidents while cycling alone; fortunately, all were on well traveled routes so help did come along before too much time passed.
  • My assumption is that most people know (or, at least know of) someone who has taken a bad fall at home when no one else was around.

I bought my mother (now in her mid-80's, very independent and healthy, also quite introverted) a simple flip phone for the same purpose: No way would I convince her to wear one of those one button things all the time; but, she always has her cell phone with her since that is how she stays in touch with me. In an emergency, she could use that to call 911; as a bonus, in a bad situation that she did not consider an emergency (and would not likely press the button around her neck), she could call family or friends.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

One of the wonderful side benefits of my relationship with F, is that we spend time together each day and are in contact with one another several times earlier and later in the day. If one of us is planning anything risky (like, when he cleaned the gutters before he bought that gizmo for safer gutter cleaning) the other usually comes over just to play it safe.

To me, this kind of closeness is more effective than any cell phone or button because it does not rely on impersonal technology. Instead, it relies on our deeply close feelings for one another and sense of responsibility, both of which I think are far, far more reliable than any button or phone.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:16 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
So... there must be a device where you can pop your cell into a cradle, and have it be connected to another two phones in different rooms of the house.
Sound pretty simple, but where is it, and what is it called?
We have used at&t cordless set for a few years now (multi-line DECT 6 with bluetooth). It is so easy - when we get home our cell phone connects to the cordless system through the bluetooth automatically (line2). For our 'land-line' we use NetTalk, it comes over the Internet on line 1.

It is time for us to renew netTALK DUO phone service (1 year $29.95):
• Free Calling to the U.S. and Canada
• Free national phone number
• Free e911 registration

So I am doing our annual search and possible cost reduction. We have cut the cord on Verizon 2 years ago and now we joined Republic Wireless, so we can say goodbye to AT&T cell phone. This smart phone (using Wi-Fi at home) is not for everyone but it's cheap ($19 a month): republicwireless.com

Getting started is easy – purchase a brand new dual-band Motorola DEFY XT smartphone for $249 plus a $10 start-up fee and any applicable tax. Your start-up fee includes shipping & handling. Then you will be charged $19 for your first month of service when the phone ships. This includes unlimited talk, text and data with no contract or overages.

I will update when I get the phone.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange View Post
My thoughts are slightly different on this matter: I am a firm believer that most people should have some kind of emergency calling thing.
+1

A few years back my sisters got my Dad a cell phone for emergencies when he was out and about on his electric scooter. They programmed it so he only had to press and hold the "1" key to call sister A, and to press and hold "2" if he wanted to call sister B. To call 911 was press and hold the "9" key.

A couple of weeks later sister A had to take her husband to the hospital for an appointment one evening and she knew that Dad would be worried. This was in February and she called him at 8:30pm to tell him that all was well. To continue his "training" she called his cell phone, but no answer. She called his land line and he immediately picked up. She asked why he didn't reply when she called his cell phone, and he replied, "So that explains it! I thought it was the sound of the ice cream van and would have gone out to buy one, but it's dark and snowing."
Old 12-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Very interesting information with this thread. One question I have is how about faxing? Granted, I don't do as much as I used to but it's still important. I keep my landline mainly for this purpose.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
imnotmuchyungrnu, but this doesn't appear to be confusing and will turn your cell phone into a multi-handset "home phone".

Amazon.com: Panasonic KX-TG7642M DECT 6.0 Link-to-Cell via Bluetooth Cordless Phone with Answering System, Metallic Gray, 2 Handsets: Electronics

You don't place your cell phone into a cradle, you use your bluetooth (wireless two-way) connection to tie your cell phone to the home system. Comes with 2, 3, 4 or 5 handsets.
I often find Amazon's pricing curious.
The phone system noted comes with two handsets for $78.98. You can bump that up to three handsets for a mere $79.99 a whole extra $1.01, but think twice about going for four, because that will cost you $120.99.
Pssst, buy the three handset option.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Very interesting information with this thread. One question I have is how about faxing? Granted, I don't do as much as I used to but it's still important. I keep my landline mainly for this purpose.
I do not use FAX but they say:
Make and receive faxes through the hook up of your DUO device as you would with a traditional phone company landline. Just simply plug you fax machine into the device.
So at this price you could have 2 NetTalks and 2 numbers.

Note: I have my DUO and DSL modem plugged in to UPS so when power goes out I have Internet and phone for a while. Laptop and cell phone have no problem as long as they are charged. Our power outages are usually short YMMV.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
I often find Amazon's pricing curious.
Pssst, buy the three handset option.
+1
3 handset is 40% off.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Amazon.com: Panasonic KX-TG7642M DECT 6.0 Link-to-Cell via Bluetooth Cordless Phone with Answering System, Metallic Gray, 2 Handsets: Electronics

This phone is very interesting when POWER goes out:

What happens to your phone when there's a power outage? Nothing, with this new Panasonic phone featuring Power Back-Up Operation. A powerful battery back-up system keeps you connected so when the power goes out. Keep a charged handset in the base unit and you can still make and receive calls with the other cordless handsets.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirka View Post

This phone is very interesting when POWER goes out:

What happens to your phone when there's a power outage? Nothing, with this new Panasonic phone featuring Power Back-Up Operation. A powerful battery back-up system keeps you connected so when the power goes out. Keep a charged handset in the base unit and you can still make and receive calls with the other cordless handsets.
The talking caller ID is pretty cool and the display looks very readable without my getting my reading glasses. Also the pricing right now is towards it's low range.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
These days I scan and email documents rather than faxing them.

In the rare instance that you need to fax, there are internet based services that can do that from your computer - I haven't used them but know they are available.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
These days I scan and email documents rather than faxing them.

In the rare instance that you need to fax, there are internet based services that can do that from your computer - I haven't used them but know they are available.
I think I got this from this forum - I don't remember which one.

Set up your computer to send and receive faxes

I have not tried this either but it is on my todo list.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by plex View Post
.......... Many phones can use it, but there are some models to stay away from.......
I'm interested in Page Plus as an emergency phone. How do you know which phones to stay away from and why?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Try ting.com for cell phone service. They use the Sprint network and have OUTSTANDING customer service; an actual person picks up the phone after a few rings. Cost is $6/month per phone; you get charged for minutes, texts, and data, however, it is very inexpensive. You only pay for what you use, so you don't have to lock yourself into some monthly plan for minutes, etc. If you don't make any calls in a month, it is $6 bucks. You pay full price for phones, but don't get trapped in the long contacts with expensive monthly charges. We have 3 smartphones and 1 flip phone, and I have never paid over $95 in the approximately 7 months I've had the service. I even have a teenager who can rack up the text messages. Ting also just started a service where you can bring over certain Sprint phones to their service.

For landline, we use Ooma. I have the premium service which is $13.50/month, however if you don't want all the bells and whistles, you pay $3.50/month. If we lose power, I have a UPS for back up power.
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Fax form PC
Old 12-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Fax form PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
I have not tried this either but it is on my todo list.
For this, you first need to outfit your PC with a fax modem and you need a phone line!
Old 12-10-2012, 07:15 AM   #38
Gone but not forgotten

Re: Fax
We've used Vonage for about 5 years... Right in the beginning, we used our old fax machine to send info back and forth... no trouble at all, though it seemed to work slower than over the landlines.

RE: Emergency callers
Picked up an emergency caller at a resale shop for $3. Works well. It's a pendant thingy, that communicates with a small box connected to the phone service. Works this way.
Pressing button on pendant triggers the box to sequentially call four different numbers, with a prerecorded 15 second message. "This Mr. Smith. I have a problem. My telephone # is 555-5555. When the call is received by relative or neighbor, they can respond and will be heard by the Mr. Smith, who can then call out with the nature of the problem... "I've fallen and I can't get up."
The messages will be sent sequentially over and over. Does not involve 911.
The Safety 1st Automatic Caller I have, is no longer manufactured, but there are equivalent systems available on line for $50 to $100.

In our home, built in 2000... in a senior community, we have pull-cords in most rooms including bathrooms... This is a hard wired service that connected to a central emergency center. The monthly service became so expensive $30/mo. that our residents opted out, though the service can be activated on an individual basis... an option if circumstances require.
.................................................. ..............

Re: OP... After ordering Magicjack, I looked up the process to port, or change to my current telephone number. From online discussions, it looks like a zoo. Going to the website, sends one on a wild goose chase that ends with no explanation except to direct a new customer (must already have a phone and be registered) to the process... Am mighty suspicious... but will come back and report as part of the experiment.
.................................................. ...............

We keep a charged old cell phone in both cars (no service) in case of a real emergency, and if we forget to bring a live phone with us. Dunno where the 911 call will go... gotta check on this.

edit to add:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergen...ile_telephones
and,,,
http://andreas.com/faq-cell911.html
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote