Join Early Retirement Today

Phones that record our location very well
Old 11-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Phones that record our location very well

I checked this out and it is amazing how the iPhone really does track where you spend your time to within a few houses on a block. I turned the location tracking off.

Your iPhone knows where you’ve been, puts it on a map - TechBlog

This isn't new, but what amazed me was how easy it is to get a map showing everywhere I have been. If you enemies get their hands on this, it's all over!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I checked this out and it is amazing how the iPhone really does track where you spend your time to within a few houses on a block. I turned the location tracking off.

Your iPhone knows where you’ve been, puts it on a map - TechBlog

This isn't new, but what amazed me was how easy it is to get a map showing everywhere I have been. If you enemies get their hands on this, it's all over!
I want a map that shows me where my phone is right now. And my car keys too if it's not too much trouble.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I want a map that shows me where my phone is right now. And my car keys too if it's not too much trouble.
I want it to answer me when I yell for it to come out of hiding!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You betcha an iphone knows where you're at. Here's a screen shot from this morning's hike. I walked across the footbridge that is maybe 10' from where my hiked path per GPS in red.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hike.jpg (113.5 KB, 19 views)
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post

I want it to answer me when I yell for it to come out of hiding!
Dear app developers: please contact Sarah and BWever for good ideas. Reasonable rates.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

There is no doubt that the iPhone can track your location very well. Watch this "interview" of a developer who created an app that can track your every move using the information being continuously gathered by your phone:

FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Apple makes it easy to track other folks too - it's opt in of course - using the Friends and Family app on the iPhone. I use this to keep track of both of my parents.

I do reciprocate - they can see where I am too. I'm sure I bore them ;-)
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I guess that is why everyone in Breaking Bad had cheap old fashioned mobile phones and regularly destroyed them. Saul had a whole drawerful!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Smart phones have built-in GPS, the same as what is in your dedicated navigation devices such as Garmin, TomTom, etc... Hence, the position is just as accurate.

More than that, when inside buildings where no line-of-sights exist to the GPS satellites, a cruder position can be estimated using the adjacent cell towers that the smartphone can get signals from. That's what a Garmin cannot do.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Smart phones have built-in GPS, the same as what is in your dedicated navigation devices such as Garmin, TomTom, etc... Hence, the position is just as accurate.

More than that, when inside buildings where no line-of-sights exist to the GPS satellites, a cruder position can be estimated using the adjacent cell towers that the smartphone can get signals from. That's what a Garmin cannot do.
I'm waiting for smartphones to get survey grade GPS accuracy. Today's survey grade GPS receivers not only receive data from GPS satellites, but also maintain data links to continuously operating reference stations having known positions. These data links are generated through cell phone sim cards. The result is centimeter accuracy.

Smartphones should be able to incorporate this technology easily if they can receive the data from the referencing stations. I'm not sure how important it is to know a cell phone's location within a centimeter though
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Sorry when I casually compared smartphones to a Garmin.

I meant the common consumer-grade Garmin, not the surveyor grade. Of course we know that, but laymen do not appreciate the difference.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

While all of my coworkers have company issued iphones I stick to my old flip phone. I have the same mobile number I had 20 years ago and refuse to turn it over. I keep using the same excuse that I just renewed a 2 year plan and can't switch over now.

No GPS or big brother stuff here. I also note that many long time top producing salesmen that I call on have antique cell phones. It's amazing what you can get done when you just talk to someone.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I'm waiting for smartphones to get survey grade GPS accuracy.
Probably not far off. DW and I use the Find Friends app frequently to see where each other is, and I've noticed that it will often show me which room of the house she is in. Pretty impressive!
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone location