Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Photo Editing - Affinity software for PC/Mac
Old 07-06-2018, 07:00 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Photo Editing - Affinity software for PC/Mac

Starting a new thread for photo editing software known as Affinity.
I downloaded the Windows trial (10 day). It is a winner. Thanks for mentioning, athena53. There is a learning curve, but enough tutorials around to make it simple.
You can save presets, and apply to each photo. Batch processing and macro recording are included.
So it's not Photoshop, but very professional looking, and gave me results I needed, with a few minutes of effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
If I can make a recommendation on software since PhotoShop is expensive: a friend suggested Affinity as an alternative. It's $50 for a one-time license. I just started using it this AM and there are some decent video tutorials. I hate tutorials (would rather read text or have more intuitive menus) but that's what you get now. My late husband used PhotoShop to rescue old family photos and slides and it was good at correcting the color deterioration. (In a cosmic joke, a year after he died I got a message saying I needed to re-register his PhotoShop, which was at least 10 years old, and it failed to re-register, of course and no longer works.) I'm hoping Affinity will do the same once I poke around in enough menus.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2018, 07:39 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
It looks interesting, I will have to look into it.
It does however indicate that it does offer batch processing on their feature list. So you have found that it doesn't?
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
It does not have macros, like Photoshop. It can't batch process,
What I read on their website indicates that it has both macros and batch processing.

Maybe only the trial version is missing those?
Old 07-06-2018, 08:27 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I may have been looking at a review of earlier version. It does have BATCH and MACRO.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:49 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I should warn you that I just got nicked for a 49-cent "foreign exchange transaction fee" on my purchase even though it was in $US. The company is based in the UK.

Still happy with it, though!
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:10 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I have tried using other software in the past.

My psituation is this: As a serious amateur, I use my photo processing software a lot. If I want to do something different with it, or have a problem, there are a ton of sources for information out on the web - Youtube videos, How To sites, helpful hints, and sometimes forums where members all cry on each other's shoulder about things that can't be done. IOW, help is almost always available.

OTOH, I am getting tired of Adobe's yearly fee, though I must admit that overall it isn't much more than I used to pay when I bought every other new release of Photo Shop.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:17 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

athena 53,
I will use my Schwab card. They will pick up that nasty fee, I hope. Otherwise, there'll be another 50-cents for the Brits.

Chuckanut,
I have older copies of PS, and when I really need to, go to an old machine with PS 7 or maybe elements.
I don't use PS enough to warrant a subscription. But I will go $50 for something very much like it.
I still have my PS 1 floppies for Mac if you need'em. LOL. Those were the days.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:39 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

So is the user interface good? I have a teacher's copy of an older version of PS that still meets my needs. The interface is easy to use (or at least feels that way to me). Prior to that I used GIMP (an open source image processor that has a lot of PS's features). I didn't like the GIMP interface although I don't know how it has changed over the years. But you can't argue with free.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:04 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

An update on this: so far I'm very happy. I brought out the scanner and started working on old family pictures. I still don't enjoy having to look up video tutorials to learn how to do things but the good news is that they're all over the Web and you can certainly get answers. One thing I miss that PhotoShop had was a feature that would automatically adjust contrast and brightness to a level determined to be "optimal"- with Affinity I have to use sliders and select the setting I want- but given the price of PhotoShop I'll take Affinity.

I'd noticed GIMP in my searches for PS alternatives but I'm wary of "freemium" software. Too many features that you try to use and you get an "Upgrade to Premium- click here" message, as well as frequent spam urging you to upgrade. Worse, they sometimes reduce the features in the free version. In this case, I was happy to pay $49.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:42 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I used to bump brightness (10%), and then bump contrast (5%). I haven't found an auto adjustment for both, but it may work better for you to have specific numbers in mind, and add them as preset.

Or maybe try Levels adjustment layer?. Do that, and you see a histogram created from your photo. What I do is move the black slider to the right, until it meets the measured levels (or go further). Then I move the white slider to the left. In my picture, I had to move 20% to the left.
Attached Images
File Type: png Levels.PNG (25.7 KB, 19 views)
Old 07-08-2018, 08:31 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
An update on this: so far I'm very happy. I brought out the scanner and started working on old family pictures. I still don't enjoy having to look up video tutorials to learn how to do things but the good news is that they're all over the Web and you can certainly get answers. One thing I miss that PhotoShop had was a feature that would automatically adjust contrast and brightness to a level determined to be "optimal"- with Affinity I have to use sliders and select the setting I want- but given the price of PhotoShop I'll take Affinity.

I'd noticed GIMP in my searches for PS alternatives but I'm wary of "freemium" software. Too many features that you try to use and you get an "Upgrade to Premium- click here" message, as well as frequent spam urging you to upgrade. Worse, they sometimes reduce the features in the free version. In this case, I was happy to pay $49.
GIMP is not like that. It is an open source project originally developed for Linux as a component of the GNU free software project. Only later ported to Windows and OS X. It is maintained by a dedicated team of coders. You will never get nagged to pay for any features. Don't be afraid to try it. The main question is whether you are comfortable delving into an editing program with a bazillion features that may be unfamiliar to you. There are a number of good beginners books and free online tutorials. I used it for a while and was very impressed. I only switched to Photoshop because I had access to a free teacher's version when my daughter lived with us for a while.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:31 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not to threadjack overmuch, but I never could stomach the idea of subscription services and so make do with an old copy of Photoshop CS6. Is there really that much that the new Creative Cloud versions can do that CS6 can't (and an amateur like me might care about)?
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:11 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I’m happy with CS5
Old 07-08-2018, 02:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
Is there really that much that the new Creative Cloud versions can do that CS6 can't (and an amateur like me might care about)?
That is going to depend on what features are important to you. The improvements are incremental and over time do accumulate to a substantial number of improvements. For example if you shoot a lot of landscape photos the "dehaze" feature added about a year ago would be almost essential.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:31 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I really like the new feature in Lightroom CC Classic that lets me fix distortion by simply drawing a few lines along the edges of things that I want straight. I still have my LR 6 and PS 6 paid for versions, but as Walt says above, with time more and more features are introduced, some I don't use, but many are very handy.

As I mentioned earlier before CC I usually purchased every other update partly because the difference between the new versions was not huge and partly to save money. The $90 year I spend for the CC subscription is about the same as I spent on my LR and PS updates. So, yes, it's worth it to me to "blow some dough" on this product. YMMV.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:08 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
That is going to depend on what features are important to you. The improvements are incremental and over time do accumulate to a substantial number of improvements. For example if you shoot a lot of landscape photos the "dehaze" feature added about a year ago would be almost essential.
I couldn't agree with you more. The dehaze function has improved many, many photos for me. Now if they could just make it a batch function!
SoReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoReady View Post
The dehaze function has improved many, many photos for me. Now if they could just make it a batch function!
You can make it a preset and then apply that preset to a bunch of photos at one time. But all of them would be the same amount and that might not be what you want.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:28 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Popped for a big $50 for Affinity Photo full version.
The healing tool is quite remarkable.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:38 PM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

Hmmmm... I have been using FREE irfanview since 1997. It does everything I want, and is still free.

https://www.irfanview.com/
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:41 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Popped for a big $50 for Affinity Photo full version.
The healing tool is quite remarkable.
I decided to buy it too. I have been using Photoshop CS5 but so far I like Affinity more. $50 was a lot better than buying a new version of Photoshop.