Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-17-2010, 11:34 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
When I started, I just used my picture. I thought it would not hurt. I also have a profile that shows much of what you need to know about me. In 15 years, I have had no problems with ID theft or spamming et al.

On financial sites, I replaced my photo with my double-dip graph. Some people reacted negatively. I have left the double-dip until I am proven right without a doubt (or not).

So I think a personal avatar offers little downside and potential upside because people feel that they know you better. I met with meadbh once and she could recognize me so I guess it is a reasonable likeness.

But I am OK with anyone that does not have a picture. To each his own.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2010, 11:36 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Most of my avatars here have been my own photos of things that interest me. The current one (my photo from a book) is a detail from “Restaurant de la Sirene at Asnieres,” a Van Gogh that is coming soon to an art museum near me. Reminds me of my high school which had a drab exterior design from the late ‘50s punctuated with orange doors; there was a column in the H.S. newspaper, “behind the orange doors.” Some of you may relate to why I would associate that with a forum.

Other forums I frequent have many many bad photos of forum members, probably taken by their own webcams; they sometimes crop the views to make them less recognizable. I cannot relate to that. I recently changed my avatar at one site to a more funky image.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:22 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

This being an early retirement forum, a lot of our members are still working and haven't announced their early retirement plans and schedule to management. So, I can certainly understand why they wouldn't want to post a photo or other identifying information (though an RV? Gee, NW-Bound, there are lots of RV's in the world, and even in your area. )

There are other reasons to be cautious, especially for wealthy older people living alone who, I suppose, might be targeted by the unscrupulous for one reason or another. There are parts of some cities where it would not be judicious to walk around on Saturday night wearing a sandwich board saying "I am a millionaire and a little drifty and have nobody watching out for my best interests". Yet sometimes our members say such things here, knowing that nobody knows who they are anyway.

I like avatars, and have even saved and kept some of my favorites that people have used - - not that I would ever use the same one, but just because I like them (and my hard drive is over half empty anyway).

My present avatar is not me (and most people here know that). Occasionally I change it, but when I do I have received multiple PMs from various male forum members asking me to change it back. So, Eva remains.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:37 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
This being an early retirement forum, a lot of our members are still working and haven't announced their early retirement plans and schedule to management. So, I can certainly understand why they wouldn't want to post a photo or other identifying information (though an RV? Gee, NW-Bound, there are lots of RV's in the world, and even in your area. )
Maybe I am just paranoid, but better safe than sorry...

People I am in contact with for both 1099 and W2 works know that I am a part-timer and work as I please, and on individual assignment/project basis. But if they know that I actually like the w*rk, they would try to pay me less. And that's against my principle.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:03 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

My present avatar is not me (and most people here know that). Occasionally I change it, but when I do I have received multiple PMs from various male forum members asking me to change it back. So, Eva remains.
Just gotta love those male members....
Old 07-17-2010, 01:04 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Think an avatar can represent one's reality in ways an actual photo cannot.
Like mine. I chose it because of a childhood nickname. I don't have a photo of myself in digital format, and don't know if I'd post it if I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger View Post
(snip)Facebook is not an anonymous site. You use your real name, and for the most part you only communicate with former or present friends, co-workers and family. You can control who sees your information... although that isn't always as easy as it should be.

Can't speak fo everyone but I often get emails or notifications that say "Sherri (Jones) McBride wants to be your friend. Confirm?" (snip)
No Facebook for me. I've never figured out the "why" of it. Maybe it's an Introvert/Extravert thing. I've only gotten a few of those "so & so wants to be your friend" but never from anybody I actually know. In fact all so far have come from people who from their names are probably halfway around the world. I have no idea where they get my name.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:03 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I just turned off the avatars and signature displays because some can be annoying. For instance, if someone chooses a very good looking face as an avatar or a photo of an expensive possession, this colors my perception of their post(s). Needless noise, IMHO.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM View Post
Interesting....when I see a picture of someone as their avatar - I immediately assume it is not them. Not sure why, I guess it is because every other site I am on, no one uses their own picture.
Despite having seen pictures of him numerous times, in my mind Haha is a black musician. Avatars become reality on the intertubes.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:05 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Why show my face? On the Internet I'm 6'3" and have a full head of hair. No reason to post my real picture and shatter that illusion.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:06 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I never could think of an avatar I liked so I use photos doing something I like. Used to be me on a windsurfer since that was once my favorite pass-time. But now it is me under my bike helmet because that is where I usually am these days.

Edit: oops, wrong forum - that one is on bikeforums.net. This one is a picture at my weekend house where I am when I am not biking
Old 07-17-2010, 02:18 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
if someone chooses a very good looking face as an avatar or a photo of an expensive possession, this colors my perception of their post(s). Needless noise, IMHO.
While I can't say that I understand this line of thinking, it is interesting to learn that someone feels this way. Posting a pretty face, expensive item, or a picture of a beautiful landscape, just tells me that people like nice things. Not sure how it could serve to make the content of their posts any more or less compelling.

Although I do find I get hungry every time I see kyounge's chocolate chip cookies

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:21 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I just turned off the avatars and signature displays because some can be annoying. For instance, if someone chooses a very good looking face as an avatar or a photo of an expensive possession, this colors my perception of their post(s). Needless noise, IMHO.
Yet you have an avatar pic and a sig line....?
Old 07-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #33
gone traveling

Avatars are a window to the soul...

Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:49 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Why show my face? On the Internet I'm 6'3" and have a full head of hair. No reason to post my real picture and shatter that illusion.
But, but, but you already posted your photo. And by the way, welcome back, from wherever you have been the last few days.

Dang! I should have kept up my insistence that I looked like the "King of Cool", but with dark hair. With time, that would sow the seed of the image into readers' mind.

I screwed up!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
But, but, but you already posted your photo. And by the way, welcome back, from wherever you have been the last few days.
Well, my cover is blown here. But I guess after 18+ years of happy marriage I don't really need to viciously guard the 6'3" and not bald myth.

I was in England. Liverpool, to be more specific, with a *long* day trip to York and their Railway Museum and York Minster thrown in for good measure.

Never hit 75 there -- for a Texan in the summer, that's basically paradise...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:33 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I never wanted to post a personal picture. Maybe I'm too sensitive to what I think others might think of my looks. Who knows? I admit that I like to see photos of posters as it makes them come to life for me. Yet, I love most of the avatars here and I agree that they are a window to the soul, so pictures aren't needed, but would be welcomed. I agree that avatars are as recognizable as names for many of you folks. (Come to think of it, most of our names aren't really our names, are they?)

On our small island, I keep expecting to run into Nords as I know what he looks like. I'm sure we've been to the same stores and other places at one time or another. With his picture in my mind, I'm sure I'd recognize him. Still, would I speak? Don't know. I usually think people have to earn the right to show familiarity to others. I would feel uncomfortable walking up to a celebrity on the street and acting as if I knew them just because I had seen their body of work, for instance.

So, for now, I'll remain relatively anonymous.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:52 PM   #37
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I never wanted to post a personal picture. Maybe I'm too sensitive to what I think others might think of my looks. Who knows? I admit that I like to see photos of posters as it makes them come to life for me. Yet, I love most of the avatars here and I agree that they are a window to the soul, so pictures aren't needed, but would be welcomed. I agree that avatars are as recognizable as names for many of you folks. (Come to think of it, most of our names aren't really our names, are they?)

On our small island, I keep expecting to run into Nords as I know what he looks like. I'm sure we've been to the same stores and other places at one time or another. With his picture in my mind, I'm sure I'd recognize him. Still, would I speak? Don't know. I usually think people have to earn the right to show familiarity to others. I would feel uncomfortable walking up to a celebrity on the street and acting as if I knew them just because I had seen their body of work, for instance.

So, for now, I'll remain relatively anonymous.
Interesting point, Koolau. FWIW, the folks whose photos I've seen here pretty well matched up with the mental picture I'd formed of them; no real surprises.

As for running into someone else from the FIRE forum out in the real world, should the ignore button work in real life, too?
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:01 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Interesting point, Koolau. FWIW, the folks whose photos I've seen here pretty well matched up with the mental picture I'd formed of them; no real surprises.

As for running into someone else from the FIRE forum out in the real world, should the ignore button work in real life, too?
Heh, heh, heh. Good one, Westernskies! Haven't checked to see who's "ignore" list I'm on. Maybe I don't want to know.

Actually, I'm sure I'd love to meet most of you folks. It's just that our introductions have been electronic and not experiential. Maybe that changes the dynamic.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:08 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

[QUOTE=Koolau;958810Haven't checked to see who's "ignore" list I'm on. Maybe I don't want to know.[/QUOTE]

Where is this list?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:11 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
On our small island, I keep expecting to run into Nords as I know what he looks like. I'm sure we've been to the same stores and other places at one time or another. With his picture in my mind, I'm sure I'd recognize him.
Interestingly enough, I have thought about that -- even that you, certainly, would have searched each other out. What a strange thing an imagination is.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avatar, facebook, internet, photo