Join Early Retirement Today

Photo or avatar on Net - Why should it matter?
Old 07-17-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Photo or avatar on Net - Why should it matter?

Sometimes, posters complain about people who use avatars on the Internet, instead of the person's photo (though how one could tell it's their "actual" photo, is a mystery to me).

Can see why a fake photo or avatar would be wrong and unfair on a dating site, but can't understand why it would matter on ER forum, Facebook, etc.

Avatars (IMHO) say more about posters than a picture of their face does. All my face tells the world, is the things that don't matter: my age, sex, race, hair color, eye color, a guess as to my weight, the way my hair grows and the way I choose to have it cut. Possibly, the condition of my front teeth. Why would anyone (who isn't looking to date me) care about those things, when the real "me" is in my posts?

Thoughts?

Amethyst

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2010, 09:35 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm perfectly happy showing my face...see my pert little ears and hairy face.

I'm too shy to show my face and I like to think I'm also too smart.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:52 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

It's what I see when looking in a mirror... certainly it's the way I feel.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting....when I see a picture of someone as their avatar - I immediately assume it is not them. Not sure why, I guess it is because every other site I am on, no one uses their own picture.

Now that I am posting more, I have considered putting an avatar out there, only because I think it helps people "recognize" you quicker. But it won't be a picture of me.

My kids say I am "old-fashioned", but I am not big fan of plastering my picture all over the internet. What if one of you is an axe-murderer or something You would know what I looked like. And if I made you mad, instead of using IGNORE, you could hunt me down and kill me!!
Old 07-17-2010, 10:08 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I use photos, usernames, and avatars to mislead and misdirect. I've never seen a rule that says there are rules about these things, except of course unless you are trying to create a brand and market yourself.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Think an avatar can represent one's reality in ways an actual photo cannot.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:18 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Avatars are fine on an anonymous site such as this forum. I might add one someday...

Facebook is not an anonymous site. You use your real name, and for the most part you only communicate with former or present friends, co-workers and family. You can control who sees your information... although that isn't always as easy as it should be.

Can't speak fo everyone but I often get emails or notifications that say "Sherri (Jones) McBride wants to be your friend. Confirm?"

Looking at school, working life and now ER travel, I have met more than a few people. Sometimes, they have the same names! Or I never knew the last name, or the real name.

A picture would help. An avatar that shows me what you are about.. doesn't help.

And, if you can't take the time to post a picture, I'm not sure how serious you really are about all this. You invest a little time, and so will I.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:04 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I like my privacy (like anyone cares who I am, really!) and would not provide much identifying information publicly here or elsewhere. I don't know if young people feel the same way.

If I did Facebook, though, I would definitely use a (really really good ) current photo of myself (so my old boyfriends would be eating their hearts out)--don't people do Facebook mostly because they want to connect/reconnect with people?

I also think someone who is really smart could figure out who many people are by the fictitious info used combined with minor factual details/photos of locations, pets, etc. in their posts.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:11 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I do not mind posting an occasional picture of myself but I would not have a picture avatar . We discuss too many financial facts . That I like to keep private . Now that bestwifeever mentioned facebook I'm going to have too look for a much better picture .
Old 07-17-2010, 11:22 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
My pictures are here and elsewhere.
I like "Khan".
He's been my persona/avatar from way back.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:49 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I like avatars that show a member's face...kind of makes their posts more intimate and credible.

Now it better really be them, otherwise if they meet another forum member, the jig is up. I have one of my favorite pics of myself on my profile page...the lighting was low and the make-up was high.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:58 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger View Post
Facebook is not an anonymous site. You use your real name, and for the most part you only communicate with former or present friends, co-workers and family. You can control who sees your information... although that isn't always as easy as it should be..
This is why I use weekly-changing avatars on Facebook. My facebook friends are close relatives, and people I've known for years. They know what I look like and don't care, so long as I have not grown an extra head (they would want to see a picture of that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger View Post
And, if you can't take the time to post a picture, I'm not sure how serious you really are about all this. You invest a little time, and so will I.
Umm...I don't understand this statement, although I parsed it several times. Care to elaborate? Serious about what? Time to do what? (I do hope this isn't one of those "If you don't know, I'm certainly not going to tell you" moments, with which I am so drearily familiar in life).

Amethyst

Amethyst
Old 07-17-2010, 12:01 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I also think someone who is really smart could figure out who many people are by the fictitious info used combined with minor factual details/photos of locations, pets, etc. in their posts.
This is probably true. But posts with none except very abstract background are not particularly interesting. If I know the city where someone lives, I can visualize something of their reality. Without that what they say just drifts away into the ether.

Ha
Old 07-17-2010, 12:03 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I have hinted several times that I look like Steve McQueen. :-)

OK, enough BS'ing. I was reluctant to post pictures of even my houses and RV. What if one of my neighbors happens to frequent this forum? They would then know more about my financial situation, my w*rk, my life than even my siblings did.

And then, as I still do w*rk for pay, people I am in contact with might also know more about me than I want them to know.

By the way, do people even remember what McQueen looked like?

PS. I have no Facebook account, and am not interested. Being a loner through schools, I had only a few friends, and I still had contact with them. I remember little about other classmates, and would have little in common with them now. Hence, no need for Facebook.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:09 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
By the way, do people even remember what McQueen looked like?
When I was a little girl, I had crushes on every handsome blond actor, especially the tall ones (though I made an exception for Paul Newman) and he was among the pack. I lost interest after he started looking rather weather-worn, though.

Amethyst
Old 07-17-2010, 12:14 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

McQueen's height is still a matter of debate.

Still, it does not matter. I just want to be as "cool". Weather-worn is OK. He died when at about my age now. :-)

And I am not tall either. I am skinny, and that is the truth. :-)

PS. And I have dark hair. :-)
Old 07-17-2010, 12:15 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Trust me, my dog is much better looking than me.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:21 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Hmm. I'm not like that, so maybe we are all wired somewhat differently in that respect. I like your photos, yet I would like you just as well, if you did not post any photos of yourself. Do you remember, I thought (at first) that you might be a Black man with an Asian name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This is probably true. But posts with none except very abstract background are not particularly interesting. If I know the city where someone lives, I can visualize something of their reality. Without that what they say just drifts away into the ether.

Ha
Old 07-17-2010, 12:24 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
McQueen's height is still a matter of debate.
DH met Steve McQueen in 1975. He says Steve was about 5' 7"...and that's stretching it a bit.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:33 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

He was still called "the King of Cool"!

And I still want to be as cool! And I still do not look like him.

Tags
avatar, facebook, internet, photo