Join Early Retirement Today

photogram: my gayborhood stonewall festival
Old 06-22-2008, 04:59 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

photogram: my gayborhood stonewall festival

preface: diatribers are free to comment from within their own threads in the soap box catagory. this is not a political thread, this is photos of a block party at my house. thank you.

Broward beckons South Florida gays from Miami-Dade -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Quote:
Welcome to Broward County,the new center of gay South Florida, where even dinner on a weeknight is community-building. Leaving behind its heady days of South Beach excess, South Florida's gay community has moved north and redefined itself. Call it settling down. Calling it finding the comforts of home...
Quote:

South Beach now has just a few gay bars. Broward, on the other hand, has more than 150 gay-owned businesses and more gay bars than anyone can keep count of, places where you can eat a burger, watch a Marlins game, dance country and western, play competitive billiards, take in a drag show or share quiet conversation and a bottle of wine...

Last year, 1 million gay visitors contributed $1.2 billion to the local economy, according to the visitors bureau.
everyone should go to at least one gay pride parade. you'll see freaks, meet friends, you'll have fun. you'll experience the rare instance of an oppressed crowd on a public street luxuriating in self-acceptance.

here's our version of celebrating a Stonewall Street Festival - Pride of Greater Fort Lauderdale.

the new york times dubbed us gayberry rfd. here's why:

our side streets were blocked off so hopefully no one would be parking on our lawns like they've done in the past. the main street through town is barricaded for our gay pride parade saturday night followed by an all day street festival on sunday.

here the main stage is set up just blocks from casa lazy

i think she was delivering party supplies

my cousin accompanied me as my official fag hag for the evening. she's very into parades. we got lots of beads and whistles and candy.

i think she's real (just in case you were wondering) but i wouldn't be on it:

i know he's real (woof):

a real flamer (i can say that, ya know):

i thought these were going to be the dykes on bikes who rolled through last year but they were just a bunch of leather guys.

party at my house:

no gay pride parade is complete without one of these:

the finale is our rainbow flag which is a few blocks long, because, as you might have guessed, we like'm big.

the festival continued today, even in the rain. nothing stops these guys from a good party

and of course, what gay event is complete without a drag show

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
Administrator

Looks like fun.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:41 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

And a good time was had by all. Great pix. Looks like you all had a blast.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 06-22-2008, 06:46 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

My all time favorite gay guy is from there . Sorry lazy it's not you( you are second ) It is David from Design Star fame . I'm crazy about him . He is so talented . He so outshadowed the other contestants . Anyway sorry to go off track that parade looks like fun !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:03 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Great pictures.

I looked locally and see there was a Gay Pride event with parade in Dayton Ohio.

Probably a bit downscale from your local one.

I shall have to remember and attend next year.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:27 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Good times, Lazy. I saw way more elaborate gay pride get ups at a Greenwich Village Halloween Parade one year, that was a blast, but yours looks fun! Were there any gurrrllls there, or were you only taking pics of the fairer sex?
igsoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:09 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
i think she's real (just in case you were wondering) but i wouldn't be on it:
Freudian slip there, LG4NB ? I assume you meant that you wouldn't bet on her being real?

But maybe I'm further confused? It's a gay parade, she could be a 'real' lesbian, right?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:57 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I looked locally and see there was a Gay Pride event with parade in Dayton Ohio.
Made me look also. Denver, too, has such a parade.

Parade revels in Pride progress - The Denver Post

Will pencil it in for a peek next year.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:54 AM   #9
gone traveling

This thread should be moved to the Sexual Preference Soapbox.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:57 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwonderfulwyoming View Post
This thread should be moved to the Sexual Preference Soapbox.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:08 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Nice pics, lazy. Looks like lots of fun. Used to go to the odd parade in Greenwich Village back in the day and it was always a fun time.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:08 PM   #12

Although I am not a party person, I gotta admit it looks like fun---and a celebration of a very significant historical event.

Lazy, I am totally convinced that you missed your calling. With your skill in photography and writing, you could have been a terrific photojournalist. It's not too late....
Old 06-23-2008, 03:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Looks like fun.
&
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
And a good time was had by all. Great pix. Looks like you all had a blast.
ya, very fun. it's so amazing to me in my life to have gone from having to live in the closet in order to keep my friends in elementary & later high school & to have to live in the closet in order to advance at a corporation to then be able to walk a few blocks from my house and enjoy a pride parade, right down main street u.s.a.

who would have thought? wow.

just imagine going in your life from worrying about some guy coming at you with a baseball bat just because you asked him for a date, or being arrested for asking a guy to come home with you who turns out to be an undercover cop harrassing gays and then being able to be yourself on a public street and to talk to any man there without fear. imagine being able to finally breathe. it is amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
My all time favorite gay guy is from there . Sorry lazy it's not you( you are second ) It is David from Design Star fame . I'm crazy about him . He is so talented . He so outshadowed the other contestants . Anyway sorry to go off track that parade looks like fun !
oh yeah? well just for that, you're only my third or fourth favorite sarasota person. so there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Great pictures.

Probably a bit downscale from your local one.

I shall have to remember and attend next year.
&
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Made me look also. Denver, too, has such a parade.

Parade revels in Pride progress - The Denver Post

Will pencil it in for a peek next year.
&
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Nice pics, lazy. Looks like lots of fun. Used to go to the odd parade in Greenwich Village back in the day and it was always a fun time.
i would think str8 people (i'm assuming) would really enjoy this. everyone's drinking beer and smiling and having a great time. people laughing at themselves. what's not to like? ok, well, there was one thing not to like: they didn't throw enough beads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Freudian slip there, LG4NB ? I assume you meant that you wouldn't bet on her being real?

But maybe I'm further confused? It's a gay parade, she could be a 'real' lesbian, right?

-ERD50
um, ooops. funny. well, that certainly is one sheer slip. cause i'd neither be on nor bet on and i don't need freud to either hide or excuse that.

as to her orientation, she could have been celebrating her heterofaghaggetry for all i know. didn't strike me as a lesbian but then, i only have gaydar, not sonar.

"if you don't dive, you're not a lesbian." ~~sex in the city

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
hmmm, thanx, i guess, for giving me some confidence in my prejudging abilities, having already put wyoming on permanent ignore after just reading her posts once or twice in the past.

i wonder, having not been moderator-admonished, if it is either the general scientifically held position of the forum that sexuality is a preference and not an orientation--has anyone here yet corrected the american psychological association--or that wyoming was innocently or ignorantly or in good-hearted jest merely offering useful information instead of simply being overtly confrontational, rude & disrepectful to a poster & who specifically requested that disparaging remarks be restrained or at least expressed elsewhere.

this thread has been vilified. wyoming has rained on my gay pride parade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
Although I am not a party person, I gotta admit it looks like fun---and a celebration of a very significant historical event.
Rain fails to dampen spirits at Wilton Manors gay pride celebration -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Quote:
The festival marks the anniversary of the June 1969 Stonewall riots in New York City. After Judy Garland died, some members of the gay community met at the Stonewall Inn in New York City to mourn the loss of an icon. Police raided the bar and the patrons fought back over three days of rioting. The riots served to galvanize the gay community, said Bill Greeves, with the Stonewall Library and Archives in Fort Lauderdale.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:27 PM   #14
gone traveling

[quote=lazygood4nothinbum;673579. wyoming has rained on my gay pride parade.[/quote]

Not trying to rain on your pride parade, but it is unrealistic for you to post in one forum and ask that any replies be posted in another. I do think this is another example of you up on your gay/bi/trans sexual soapbox, which is why I requested that this thread be moved where it belongs.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:10 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

bww, lazy has started a number of threads of photo documentaries of 'everyday life' in his area. They have been well done, well received here, and I personally have enjoyed them.

This is another in his series. It's not something I would have gone out off my way to see, so this little series was interesting to me. Maybe he'll cover the 4th of July parade next?

Lighten up and you will enjoy life more.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Not trying to rain on your pride parade, but it is unrealistic for you to post in one forum and ask that any replies be posted in another. I do think this is another example of you up on your gay/bi/trans sexual soapbox, which is why I requested that this thread be moved where it belongs.

Then i hope your future/past heterosexist posts are all sent to the soap box too...

As far as I know, if this thread were about the green tomato festival, it would not be requested to be moved...
Old 06-23-2008, 04:26 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Lazy,

Thanks for posting the photos! We have a big annual event here in the DC area celebrating the gay community. Look forward to your next round of pictures.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:43 PM   #18

Quote:
Nobody forced you to read this thread...perhaps next time a thread has the word "gay" in it, you can refrain from reading it.
DallasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:46 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Why Obama support? I guess I'm not surprised but I dont think his position on gay marriage is anything spectacular. That's all independent of the Donnie McClurkin thing and I can imagine what his church thinks of gay marriage.

Does look like fun though
RDamien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:47 PM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post

Then i hope your future/past heterosexist posts are all sent to the soap box too...

As far as I know, if this thread were about the green tomato festival, it would not be requested to be moved...
?? "heterosexist posts" ?? Move this thread to the SOAPBOX where it belongs; I would like you to show me examples of this...