Join Early Retirement Today

Photographers' Corner, Favorite Len ??
Old 11-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Photographers' Corner, Favorite Len ??

What is your best all around favorite lens ?

I have a Canon 24-105L that I couldn't live without, it is really that good in just about any situation you find yourself in.

What is your favorite lens ?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Still a newbie, but its a tossup between my 35mm 1.8 and 70-300mm 4.5-5.6. Just got the 35mm. I read an article that new photographers should shoot only with a single prime lens for 6 weeks before branching out to other lenses. I may give that a whirl for the next 6 weeks.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My Olympus Zuiko 45mm f/1.8. Not even a contest. The lens is sharp and has great contrast and colour. It's speed makes low light shooting much easier. It is very small, about the size of a small pill bottle. Did I mention it is sharp?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
What is your best all around favorite lens ? I have a Canon 24-105L that I couldn't live without, it is really that good in just about any situation you find yourself in. What is your favorite lens ?
Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.4G
TOOLMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #5

On my Nikon D7000 the kit f/3.5-f/5.6 18-105 mm zoom is the one I use the most. But I also have three SB-900 strobes that I place around a room at family gatherings and a decent tripod for low light situations.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Really enjoying my new Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 wide angle lens for my full-frame camera. I got it after doing star/milky way photographs this summer. I replaced a Canon 17-44mm f/4.

It worked great doing city shots in Amsterdam.

I still use the 24-105 f/4 kit lens that came with my EOS6D.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
My Olympus Zuiko 45mm f/1.8. Not even a contest. The lens is sharp and has great contrast and colour. It's speed makes low light shooting much easier. It is very small, about the size of a small pill bottle. Did I mention it is sharp?
Nice to see an M43 lens cropping up. I like the Panasonic 20mm f1.7, but the 45mm m.Zuiko is definitely on the 'wanted' list!
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Really enjoying my new Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 wide angle lens for my full-frame camera.
+1 Now that I am FIRE'd I'm spending more time with the camera and this is currently my favourite lens for street photography.

If I'd been asked this question a couple of years ago, I would have gone with the 50 1.4 - it forced me to move my feet a lot but the images were very sharp.

That being said, "best" means "best" for what purpose. If I am travelling, I usually only take the 28-135 3.5-5.6 IS. It may be a bit slow but it does an adequate job for holiday snaps. Maybe time to upgrade to the 24-70 2.8L?
Old 11-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #9

Lately I've been taking more landscapes - urban and country - and have been using the 10-24 on my Nikon almost exclusively.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:07 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
+1 Now that I am FIRE'd I'm spending more time with the camera and this is currently my favourite lens for street photography.

If I'd been asked this question a couple of years ago, I would have gone with the 50 1.4 - it forced me to move my feet a lot but the images were very sharp.

That being said, "best" means "best" for what purpose. If I am travelling, I usually only take the 28-135 3.5-5.6 IS. It may be a bit slow but it does an adequate job for holiday snaps. Maybe time to upgrade to the 24-70 2.8L?
The 24-105 f/4 lens is 10 ounces lighter (almost a third lighter) and is image stabilized. I usually avoid f/2.8 for higher focal lengths because they get so much heavier. Of course if I were shooting sports or other fast action, that would be different.

I got an f/2.8 lens for the widest angles because of the improved light gathering for my night sky star photography. It was only slightly bigger and heavier than the similar f/4.

When I travelled to Europe I took all three of my lenses. My telephoto is 75-300mm. I don't use that last one much. I mainly got it because sometimes I want to zoom in more for a sunset shot and sometimes 105mm doesn't cut it. Otherwise, I just don't do much that requires telephoto.

BTW - DH is the one with the giant telephoto lenses that he uses for bird and other wildlife photography. Most of his bird photos are taken at 1200mm.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:31 AM   #11
gone traveling

The Canon 24-70 2.8 is a great, versatile lens. I have the early version and it's sharp as a tack. If I owned Nikon gear I'd be all over the 10-24.
Mr. Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #12

Do they make a Nikon to Canon lens adaptor?
Old 11-27-2013, 08:01 AM   #13
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Do they make a Nikon to Canon lens adaptor?
Yes they do. I'm done accumulating camera gear though. If not I'd be seriously looking at a Nikon Full Frame with a 10-24 lens. Another lens I really like but don't own is the Zeiss 21mm 2.8 ... otherworldly sharp and available in different mounts.
Mr. Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Nice to see an M43 lens cropping up. I like the Panasonic 20mm f1.7, but the 45mm m.Zuiko is definitely on the 'wanted' list!
The new 12-40mm Olympus Zuiko f/2.8 is on my list of lenses to check out. I sold my big DSLR gear earlier this year and have never looked back.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Yes, it is a great system with a pile of lenses to choose from. People should know that the Micro in Micro4/3 refers to the camera bodies and lenses only. The sensor is the regular 4/3 sensor size.

Old 11-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
The Canon 24-70 2.8 is a great, versatile lens. I have the early version and it's sharp as a tack. If I owned Nikon gear I'd be all over the 10-24.

I like my Nikon AF-S DX 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED on my D7000. I use it for; city shots, landscapes, and indoor shots.
I find it's picky about a dirty lens or sensor, and can produce more lens flare than my other longer lens.
Those properties may come with the short focal length?
It gets great reviews, and that why I went for it.
TOOLMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
BTW - DH is the one with the giant telephoto lenses that he uses for bird and other wildlife photography. Most of his bird photos are taken at 1200mm.
I'm guessing you mean 1200mm effective focal length? or does he have the

The Mother of all Telephotos | B&H Photo Video
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:15 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
I'm guessing you mean 1200mm effective focal length? or does he have the

The Mother of all Telephotos | B&H Photo Video
No, LOL! It's the Canon 600mm f/4 with a doubler which ends up 1200mm f/8.

It still is big and heavy and requires a monster tripod with a Wimberly gimbal head.

But if you want to photgraph warblers.....

Actually - his camera body multiplies by 1.3, so effective focal length is more like 1560mm.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:17 AM   #19

A 600 f/4 is a very very nice lens. Luckily for my pocketbook I never got into bird photography -- that lens makes my 24 tseII seem like a bargain.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
A 600 f/4 is a very very nice lens. Luckily for my pocketbook I never got into bird photography -- that lens makes my 24 tseII seem like a bargain.
The lens was bought in 2000, so my husband has enjoyed 13 years of steady use. It was a great investment for him.

However, we did use the proceeds from the sale of our Honda Accord in 2000 to buy it. After retiring we didn't need the second car.

It does make all the other lenses seem like a bargain! Not to mention light and tiny.

He does most of his photography - butterflies and dragonflies - with the Canon 180mm macro lens. But there are several times of year that we have some great birds in the area, and out he goes with the big gear!