Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-15-2019, 06:20 PM   #101
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I always hated “my bad”. It just sounds so flipped when a true apology is warranted. It’s like taking responsibility for something and blowing it off all in two words.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt View Post
"I feel ya"
Isn't that the literal translation of the Spanish phrase "lo siento", meaning "I'm sorry'?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2019, 06:20 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For people in customer service, "Perfect!" has become a verbal tic. It bothers me slightly because I was taught to use "perfect" sparingly - as in, something that is the very best it can be. Getting a string of "Perfect!s" as I answer yes/no questions is somewhat jarring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I got stuck for a couple days with a guy who replied to everything I said with "Word." OK, maybe it was a couple of hours, but it seems like days.
"It's 2:30 now."
"Word."
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:25 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

"Talking around" issues implies not talking about the issues..indeed, trying to avoid them. That's how we used it at work, anyway. "I didn't want to say too much on an open line, so I tried to talk around the subject."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnML View Post
V

Talking around issues rather than about them.

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:27 PM   #104
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
For people in customer service, "Perfect!" has become a verbal tic. It bothers me slightly because I was taught to use "perfect" sparingly - as in, something that is the very best it can be. Getting a string of "Perfect!s" as I answer yes/no questions is somewhat jarring.
Your peeve is very unique.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:53 AM   #105
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Isn't that the literal translation of the Spanish phrase "lo siento", meaning "I'm sorry'?
"Lo siento" ==> "I feel it"
timbervest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 04:43 AM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Other words and phrases get hijacked by the users of language, and become altered in meaning. For some this may seem unnatural.
For cs rep, how would you like them to "ack" your responses?
Roger Dat!
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:16 AM   #107
Full time employment: Posting here.

"It is what it is"

I still think that everyone should have a word quota per day. After that you can't speak until tomorrow.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:58 AM   #108
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
In high school in the mid 70's, I referred to less than average intelligent girls as "ditzs or ditzes", or they were "ditzy", a saying I might have picked up from my dad. But I can't recall. I w*rked in a 99.5% male dominated field 35 years, and never heard it again outside my family. I heard people using it the other day when in the grocery store.

I don't even want to know what girls called me back then. Or now.
Back in the day, we called each other Chicks for girls and Chunks for the boys. I don't think the root was hunks cause we weren't.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:58 AM   #109
Full time employment: Posting here.

Phrase that came out of the blue

The other day a boomer at work was upset I didn’t know “longhand” - guess that’s what they called cursive. Thought it was fundamental to education (guess they didn’t realize his generation made the decision at the time to stop including it in education). I never understood why people have such strong opinions they want to force on others. But I guess if you turn on Fox News, they always seem to be shouting it at you (because they are angry or because their audience can’t hear?)
pj.mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:14 AM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.mask View Post
The other day a boomer at work was upset I didn’t know “longhand” - guess that’s what they called cursive. Thought it was fundamental to education (guess they didn’t realize his generation made the decision at the time to stop including it in education). I never understood why people have such strong opinions they want to force on others. But I guess if you turn on Fox News, they always seem to be shouting it at you (because they are angry or because their audience can’t hear?)
Head over to https://palmermethod.com/ and get up to speed. Or maybe you would call it getting down to speed.

In any event, they shout on other stations. When your generation owns the stations new policy can be set.

And, "Get Off My Lawn!", please. LOL
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:21 AM   #111

Ever text with a young millennial? A different language, entirely. I am learning the new language by googling the run on words and phrases that make no sense whatsoever.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:10 AM   #112
Administrator

Regardless of the medium used or the generation of the people involved, I think the rule I learned in the Navy is a good one - the sender is responsible for making sure that the message is understood by the receiver.
Old 08-16-2019, 09:57 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by albundyz View Post
I don't understand when responding to a question, the responder begins with the word "so". How is your mom? So, she's..... Who did you vote for? So, I think...… How is your job going ? So, I had.....

Watch on TV interviews, I see it all the time. Where did this come from?
I catch myself doing this sometimes. In the context, I feel like I always restart with I think, or I feel... so, my problem....I mean I think my problem is that I want to identify something as my idea not everyone else's.

So what do you say?
Old 08-16-2019, 10:00 AM   #114

Quote:
Regardless of the medium used or the generation of the people involved, I think the rule I learned in the Navy is a good one - the sender is responsible for making sure that the message is understood by the receiver.
Lol, no kidding.

Sis txt me the other night...

"Do you want to grill chicken on Tuesday?"

I thought she invited me for dinner...

what she SHOULD have texted was:

"Can you do me a favor and grill chicken on your grill Tuesday, I don't have a grill."

So here I was thinking we had some dinner date for Tuesday until common sense too hold and I said to myself... "My sister has never in her lifetime invited me to dinner."

And then I thought, isn't that sad?
Old 08-16-2019, 10:01 AM   #115
Give me a forum ...

I think the prefix "So" alerts the listener that a question is coming.

(Never had personal experience, since no-one listens to me anyway.)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:44 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
Ever text with a young millennial? A different language, entirely. I am learning the new language by googling the run on words and phrases that make no sense whatsoever.
I know, right?

Couldn't resist. I completely agree- I find myself looking for acronyms in the urban dictionary or elsewhere to explain what my 15 year old just texted me. Also, previous phrase sets my teeth on edge, as some people use it after everything!
Old 08-16-2019, 01:17 PM   #117
Recycles dryer sheets

What I hear instead of "True dat" these days seems to be "True story".
Old 08-16-2019, 01:50 PM   #118
Gone but not forgotten

I liked this "phrase" from a recent news article.

Quote:
Thus he craftily set up and contextualized him as a blackguard by his sedulously-fabricated foofaraw of flatulent whigmaleeries,
My Favorite:

"il n'y a pas de quoi"
Old 08-16-2019, 03:56 PM   #119
Recycles dryer sheets

That's what I'm talking about."
Revlefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:48 PM   #120
gone traveling

Quote:
QGS=(quikgooglsearch) translated "lo siento" to "sorry".

Ya feel me? afaik means "ya know & agree w/what I mean?"/shrug/ my friend GUMBY /shrug/
bolt is offline   Reply With Quote