Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-26-2019, 08:38 AM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.mask View Post
As a millennial, I don’t know anyone who doesn’t text in regular English. The only abbreviation I have seen is LOL but nowadays that is usually just a laughing emoji
I would paste and copy text conversations with my DN who is 21, but I don't know how. My statement is not a criticism. Example words:
-Yeye - an expression of "that's dope"
-oye - listen up
-ugo - you go

to name a few. Her fingers type so fast, there are misspellings and run on sentences. It makes me smile. She graduated from the U of I CU magna cum laude. This has nothing to do with intelligence, it's simply a way of communicating. She watches Floribama Shore and Jersey Shore for mental relaxation with her friends.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2019, 08:46 AM   #162
Administrator

Makes one nostalgic for the '60s, when everyone communicated with proper grammar, words had one meaning, correct English was the standard and slang hadn't been invented. One more evil brought on by millennials.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:48 AM   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Makes one nostalgic for the '60s, when everyone communicated with proper grammar, words had one meaning, correct English was the standard and slang hadn't been invented. One more evil brought on my millennials.
Ahhh, yes. Just like Rock and Roll calmed my parents and Woodstock expressed the vision of the future. Where have all the flowers gone?

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:31 AM   #164

Wow, nine whole pages of discussion about this and no one has mentioned one I've been hearing a lot lately: legit. Seems like people started using it out of the blue about 6-8 months ago, and I'm hearing it more and more from people of all stripes recently. Probably the most annoying new slang trend I've noticed over the past year.

Joe: "How was the party at Jim's last night?"
Jane: "Oh, it was great, but so crowded! I'd say there were legit 100 people there!"
Joe: "That's too many for Jim's small place. Did he have enough food for everyone?"
Jane: "Actually, he did, and it was delicious! He must have had, I'd say—legit—20 different trays of appetizers there."

According to urbandictionary.com: "Legit: Something idiot hipsters say when they mean 'seriously'".
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:25 AM   #165
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I feel you.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:37 AM   #166

Brah or Bro.

Flossing

Straight Up

Make America...wait nevermind.

My all time favorite. Fughettaboutit . All Set.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:47 AM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
bla, bla, bla
yada yada
Old 01-30-2020, 07:19 AM   #168
Recycles dryer sheets

Phrase that came out of the blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
For people in customer service, "Perfect!" has become a verbal tic. It bothers me slightly because I was taught to use "perfect" sparingly - as in, something that is the very best it can be. Getting a string of "Perfect!s" as I answer yes/no questions is somewhat jarring.

This.

I’m loosing my veneer on this one...checked in for annual physical and after about 20 “puurrfect” (it seemed to have 3 syllables) between two receptionists as they check through all my info confirming it is still all the same, I declare, out loud, “I don’t think I’ve ever had such a perfect morning!”

Then I realized, oh sh*t...I’m becoming a crotchety old person [emoji4]
Old 01-30-2020, 07:23 AM   #169

I remember about ten years ago when I was in London, just about the only adjective I heard was "brilliant" and after a while it lost all meaning. Perfect will fade away and be replaced by something else.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:24 AM   #170
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskyk View Post

I’m loosing my veneer on this one..
'Loosing'...now there's one you don't hear too often.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:38 AM   #171

The one I hear a lot is "what evs", which appears to have replaced "whatever". The fact that my Medicare-age DW is saying it doesn't help.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:43 AM   #172
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cra-cra - crazy...a term older people use and think is hip

Probably the one I hate the most is when people will simply say "REALLY" and use it as a single word full sentence, as a statement and a question...all at the same time. The phrase was almost exclusively adopted by small children and women. Thankfully, it was a flash in the pan and you rarely hear it anymore...used in the context above.

also "you dont know what you dont know."
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 09:12 AM   #173
Give me a forum ...

How about 'credible'. If you want something to be true, but don't have facts to back up your desire, you say it is 'credible'.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:21 AM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Wow, nine whole pages of discussion about this and no one has mentioned one I've been hearing a lot lately: legit. Seems like people started using it out of the blue about 6-8 months ago, and I'm hearing it more and more from people of all stripes recently. Probably the most annoying new slang trend I've noticed over the past year...
Nah. That term has been in circulation for 20 years.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:43 AM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
This has nothing to do with intelligence, it's simply a way of communicating. She watches Floribama Shore and Jersey Shore for mental relaxation with her friends.
I'm going to have to reluctantly agree with you on this one. Try as I may, I can't help but judge people based on their use of the written form of the language. Trouble is, I encounter so many intelligent and successful young people who just don't seem to think that proper grammar is important. The complete lack of uppercase letters in a piece of prose is close to a cardinal sin in my book, but if everyone is doing it, what am I supposed to do?

Yours truly,

An Anachronism.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:47 AM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Nah. That term has been in circulation for 20 years.

Might be regional. I've been hearing it for about 30 yrs
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 12:16 PM   #177

bcc
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
If true dat is new to you, you've not watched The Wire, ya feel me?
When I saw the first post that was my immediate reaction. In addition, I lived in Baltimore County at the time I FIRED and had a 2 year volunteer tutor gig at an inner city adult learning center in Southwest Baltimore (SOWEBO)My experience there plus The Wire make me think the expression might have originated in Baltimore. No doubt.

ETA: Did not realize this was a reboot of a pretty old thread. My bad.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:47 PM   #178
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I'm going to have to reluctantly agree with you on this one. Try as I may, I can't help but judge people based on their use of the written form of the language. Trouble is, I encounter so many intelligent and successful young people who just don't seem to think that proper grammar is important. The complete lack of uppercase letters in a piece of prose is close to a cardinal sin in my book, but if everyone is doing it, what am I supposed to do?
A friend of mine who used to teach Language Arts in high school calls the lack of proper grammar and punctuation The Lawyer's Full Employment Act.

It was only a few years ago that some company in Maine had to pay millions of dollars in extra overtime thanks to a misplaced comma in a new law.

https://www.inc.com/jeff-haden/how-1...on-richer.html

Quote:
Under the terms of the agreement, the five "named" plaintiffs (those who led the suit) will each receive $50,000. Any of the approximately 127 drivers involved who file claims will receive a minimum of $100 or the amount of overtime pay owed from between May 2008 and August 2012.

The moral of the story? Words matter. So does punctuation.

That's why Maine has since edited the law, using semi-colons instead of commas.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 02:19 PM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
For people in customer service, "Perfect!" has become a verbal tic. It bothers me slightly because I was taught to use "perfect" sparingly - as in, something that is the very best it can be. ....
Yeah... like in phone calls between heads of state.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 02:39 PM   #180
Recycles dryer sheets

"Whatever". I find that phrase to be very rude. Another one I don't care for is "cray cray".
Plantman is offline   Reply With Quote