Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-17-2008, 05:31 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Don McLean did have at least one other hit: Vincent, ironically enough, a song about Vincent Van Gogh...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Don McLean (and Picasso)
Old 01-17-2008, 09:51 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Don McLean (and Picasso)

Didn't he write "And I Love You So", too, which was a hit in the U.S.? Not that I liked it when I was a kid but I appreciate the song better now.

I read that said song was nominated for the Grammy but "Killing Me Softly" won as best song in the same year (IIRC in 1971). Ironically, "Killing Me Softly" was written about Don McLean.

With only one humanities class required for a business degree, I only knew of Picasso's abstract art while going to school. I didn't learn until years later that he started with masterly-drawn representational stuff. I don't get abstract art most of the time so I guess I liked Picasso better when I found out he could actually draw and paint subjects that looked like the real things.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:04 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Guernica is in my opinion the most powerful painting of the 20th century. It commemorates and gives human emotional outlet to the devastation of that day. It was the first instance of terror bombing of a civilian population. The bombing of Guernica was a trial run for Nazi air tactics during the larger war to come.

Guernica - bombing of Guernica

Picasso wanted it to go to Spain, when Spain had again achieved a republican government. MOMA wanted to hang on to it. I am very happy to have seen this magnificent work many times before it left. I hope to be fortunate enough to see it again.

Ha
Old 01-17-2008, 10:52 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Guernica is in my opinion the most powerful painting of the 20th century. It commemorates and gives human emotional outlet to the devastation of that day.

Ha
We studied Picasso's Guernica in a High School Humanities class. When they projected it on the screen, my reaction was along the lines of the OP - what is this messy scribble?

Then they explained what it represented, and I was in awe of the thing. It's an amazing and creative way to cram the confusion, devastation and emotion into 2 dimensional monochrome. I'm not even sure I could handle seeing it in person.

The musical parallel for me is Coltrane's 'A Love Supreme' - the real beauty and intensity of it just did not hit me until I understood what was behind the song.

-ERD50
Old 01-18-2008, 09:54 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Guernica is in my opinion the most powerful painting of the 20th century. It commemorates and gives human emotional outlet to the devastation of that day. It was the first instance of terror bombing of a civilian population. The bombing of Guernica was a trial run for Nazi air tactics during the larger war to come.

Guernica - bombing of Guernica

Picasso wanted it to go to Spain, when Spain had again achieved a republican government. MOMA wanted to hang on to it. I am very happy to have seen this magnificent work many times before it left. I hope to be fortunate enough to see it again.

Ha

I agree that it is the most powerful painting of the 20th century. I wish that I could have had the privilege of seeing the work in its full size real life splendor. It probably would bring me to my knees.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote