Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-08-2015, 03:11 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm, I have a 2011 F150 Supercrew 4X4 and it has been entirely trouble free since we bought it. Guess you can always get a bad one of any make or model.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2015, 03:30 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunthewiser View Post
Blaming a truck for bad shocks and battery is like saying it ran poorly because you filled up at the wrong station. More an issue of cheap sourcing. Foreign makes do seem to keep you away until the warranty is over.
Yes, cheap sourcing--by Ford. Shocks and a battery may not be big-ticket items, but buying crummy parts is a major reason that some brands are less reliable. Starters, fan motors, electronic sensors, etc, etc--they are each minor items, but when an auto manufacturer just considers them commodities and buys the cheapest ones, then the owner will eventually pay the price. Toyota and Honda aren't perfect, but they are famous for establishing long-term relationships with suppliers, with holding them accountable for parts that crump out early, and for getting into the details of how the parts function (i.e. they might specify roller bearings rather than bronze bushings, etc), and paying suppliers slightly more to get a part in which they have confidence.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchwood View Post
What's your opinions & experience with US built trucks?
I think they're getting better because the better reliability of foreign makes have forced them to, but they're not as good yet. At the time I bought my 2003 GMC pickup domestic brands were the only ones that made a full size pickup. At least I didn't know of any others. I bought a GMC over the Ford mostly because I liked their ergonomics, it just "fit me" better. I figured reliability was going to be a random wash as they're both generally regarded as good trucks.

As far as reliability, every manufacturer makes a lemon once in a while. I read of some football player who bought a Rolls Royce that was in the shop more than on the road so he replaced it with a Chevy, which ran fine for him.

So apparently there's a bit of a dice roll in buying any brand, you may still get a lemon.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:26 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I have a 2009 F150 4x4 supercrew. I had a day or 2 when it wouldn't start at around 20,000 miles. Weird - dealer service department couldn't figure it out. Battery was ok then, but have installed a new one since. I now have 83,000 miles and have a small leak in my power steering pump. Cost will be around $300 if have a repair guy do it. Other than that, truck has had no problems.

I has a 1982 Chevy S-10. From what I remember, it was a piece of junk.

Also has a 1986 Toyota. It was great until 1995, when at 160,000 miles or so, it had rusted almost to pieces and just wouldn't run anymore.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 05:43 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

We have a 2005 Chevy Colorado that we bought as a CPO in 2006 with ~30k miles and it now has ~120k miles. I needed a new head at ~39k miles which would have been a big bill but luckily the CPO warranty was to 40k miles as the bumper-to-bumper warranty had expired. Close call. Have had persistent rust problems... including some surface rust along the windows of all the doors that has been fixed twice (once by the dealer and later when I had some other rust issues fixed) and is still coming back.

I am hesitant to buy a new Colorado because of this experience but I like the ride and size but I might wait until the new Ridgeline comes out.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:35 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I have an 07 Ranger with about 70K miles. My only problem was rough shifting at really cold temperatures (like -40F and below). A warranty paid computer flash fixed it.

Other than it's fuel consumption, which I knew about when I bought, I have no complaints.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:01 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It is so funny about car dealers. I've been going to the same Ford dealer for years and they are great. If I see a truck/car on their web site, I can call and it will be waiting for me. Even though they had a Platinum in stock it wasn't the color that I wanted. They tracked down the one I wanted at another dealer and had it trailered in. Plus I can go there with my check in hand and have all the paperwork done and be out of there in about 30-40 minutes. The Chevy dealer on the other hand is so slow. I can pick the corvette I want from their stock. Wire them the deposit and fax all the paperwork. I show up when they first open at 9am and can't get out of there until noon. I've bought more than one corvette from them and this is the same routine every time. Drives me crazy!!
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:13 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I'm having a bad experience with our local Toyota dealer too. (Strictly anecdotal and not trying to paint all Toyota dealers this way.)
Clearly depends on the dealer, IMO. My local Toyota dealer has been outstanding, both before the sale and after sales follow up. (I've bought several vehicles from them in the past 5+ years) OTOH, my local Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge dealer I just bought from was "okay" before the sale and has been "zero" help after the sale.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:56 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Interesting to read about a truck that can withstand being submerged, burned, dropped, etc. But I'd think reliability, serviceability, cost, etc., under normal driving conditions would be more important for me. What can I buy that's cheap, reliable and will last a really long time?
I've had good luck with rangers, but they are out of production, so used is all that's left. A good vehicle as long as it isn't necessary for self esteem
I just gave one to a young friend who needed a car, it had 225k on it and needed a clutch. I have no doubt it will go at least 50k more before becoming uneconomic for him.
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:13 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
I've had good luck with rangers, but they are out of production, so used is all that's left. A good vehicle as long as it isn't necessary for self esteem
I just gave one to a young friend who needed a car, it had 225k on it and needed a clutch. I have no doubt it will go at least 50k more before becoming uneconomic for him.
I thought Ford was going to bring them back for 2016?

2016 Ford Ranger - Review, Price, Release date, Engine

I'm going to keep mine anyway (LBYM!) heck it only has 7K miles on it and it's a 2011. I got a killer deal on it - 29K sticker and I got it for 18999 (plus ttl) they were practically giving them away at the end of 2011.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:40 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

I hadn't noticed plans for a return of the ranger, I hope Ford decides to do it.
They are great in city, too. Better than trying to park a two story Baldwin locomotive. [ a little jab at the coal rolling crowd]
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:48 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
I hadn't noticed plans for a return of the ranger, I hope Ford decides to do it.
They are great in city, too. Better than trying to park a two story Baldwin locomotive. [ a little jab at the coal rolling crowd]
+1 I would welcome another competitor to the small/midsized truck market.

I'm guessing that there are a boatload of people like me who want the versatility of a truck to haul stuff and want 4WD but not necessarily for off-roading and don't need to to a gazillion pound RV or boat. I love the versatility of my mid-sized truck and it gets decent mileage. A full sized truck is more than what I need and probably would barely fit in my garage.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:03 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

plus rangers can tow quite a bit
Old 10-09-2015, 11:32 AM   #34

But does OP even need a truck?

I owned small pickups from 1988 to 2004 when a move resulted in selling the third vehicle which was my truck. Really enjoyed the truck but it was 2WD and I moved to snow country and would probably be cussing it out and parking it in side yard most of winter.
But, I've found that a utility trailer much better served my needs than a compact pickup. Just had to make sure one of my other vehicles was a suitable tow vehicle. In my case, my minivan does a great job. But 3500# is the limit.

That said, I miss the pick-up and once kids gone, may get a compact truck for myself. Sadly, choices have become more limited. No interest or need in a full size one, wouldn't fit my simplicity lifestyle.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:33 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I have sometimes wondered if we could make do with a SUV and a utility trailer instead of a small pickup. If DW was better at backing up trailers I might just try it.

I do find the pickup handy though.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:36 PM   #36

My Granddad's old '85 Silverado got passed down to me about 13 years ago, and it has definitely come in handy. Once you get used to having a truck, it's easy to get accustomed to and think that you "need" one, whether you really do or not.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 01:05 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Yes, cheap sourcing--by Ford. Shocks and a battery may not be big-ticket items, but buying crummy parts is a major reason that some brands are less reliable. Starters, fan motors, electronic sensors, etc, etc--they are each minor items, but when an auto manufacturer just considers them commodities and buys the cheapest ones, then the owner will eventually pay the price. Toyota and Honda aren't perfect, but they are famous for establishing long-term relationships with suppliers, with holding them accountable for parts that crump out early, and for getting into the details of how the parts function (i.e. they might specify roller bearings rather than bronze bushings, etc), and paying suppliers slightly more to get a part in which they have confidence.
Not a big fan of Honda. Had an Odessey that the transmission went out at 140k. That was on the long side. A friend had the same vehicle only a year newer. His went out before it hit 80k. What really upset me was that they continued to make this transmission for several years when they knew they had problems. So much for their vaunted reliability and making things right the first time. They are just another manufacturer in my book.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 01:16 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Not a big fan of Honda. Had an Odessey that the transmission went out at 140k. That was on the long side. A friend had the same vehicle only a year newer. His went out before it hit 80k. What really upset me was that they continued to make this transmission for several years when they knew they had problems. So much for their vaunted reliability and making things right the first time. They are just another manufacturer in my book.
What timeframe was that? I seem to remember a problem where Honda was using a 5-speed automatic transmission in the V-6 models that was the same unit as what the 4-cyl models used. In the 4-cyl models, it was just fine. But, in a V-6, with the increased power and torque, it was troubleprone. And in a minivan, with the added weight, even worse.

I was under the impression though, that Honda fixed that problem pretty quickly? For a car maker, that is. GM, Ford, and Chrysler would occasionally get away with peddling a bum transmission for decades!
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 02:00 PM   #39

youbet - my dad had a heck of a time getting his short bed, standard cab toyota pickup a decade ago. He did have to special order it - but none of the local dealers would work with him... he eventually was given a regional guy's name, and worked him before he got the guy in charge of western US sales. It took him 4 months of asking/pressuring/pushing before they would finally accept his order. I believe he had to pay a serious chunk (half) up front before they'd order it because they didn't think anyone else would want this specific configuration.

His goal was to have it short enough for 4wd'ing in narrow canyons and short enough to fit in the garage. Most of the long bed or extended cab trucks are too big to fit in a standard garage.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:14 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

As original OP, I decided to stay with my Ford F150, despite the unusual early repair.
It has only 22,000 miles and I figure I can take a risk and drive it another 50,000 before major trouble comes. I spoke with my wife, and we planned for a $500/year allowance for any breakdown repair. Trading for a same model Ford truck will cost me about $20,000 even with a trade. I think a younger guy will buy my old Ford truck, drive it 100,000 miles and say what a great truck it is, even if he has to change transmission, engine or any major parts. It's all expectation.
Birchwood is offline   Reply With Quote