Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Pierce, KG, and Allen: Celtics raise number 17
Old 06-18-2008, 09:03 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Pierce, KG, and Allen: Celtics raise number 17

What a game, series and team. Perhaps I am one of the few who actually like watching basketball, yet alone the NBA, but these Finals were definitely the best since Jordan's last win over the Jazz in '98. Such a solid team with a deep bench. It is hard not to cheer for players like P.J. Brown and James Posey and the rest of the team when their entire team is based off of their defense. Where do I start?

Ray Allen, whom I believe has even been a little bit underrated this season, absolutely tore it up in Game 6 and the entire Finals, mostly because with Pierce, Rondo and Allen being played by Radmanovic, Fisher and Bryant, one of them has to draw the pitiful defender Radman. He did not shy away from the spotlight, however, and I am glad he got it (also being from New England, good to see a UCONN guy without a mask on win it)

Watching Kevin Garnett is like watching a player taken out of the 80s, geared with more talent and athleticism and then given the heart of a champion and an unmatched intensity. Being that tall with such elegance on the boards and the touch of a point guard is truly amazing to watch, and his passion for the game and respect for the team's history only adds to his stardom in the Boston era.

Obviously, Paul Pierce has been through tough times with the Celtics, this being his 10th season with the team, especially after two years of not making the playoffs and only 24 wins last season. He has been the consummate Celtic ever since Bird retired and the team needed a new direction with new leadership, and Pierce has certainly filled that role. Not only will they raise number 17 to the rafters, but when it is all said and done, the Celtics will also be raising number 34 to the rafters.

Also have to give a shoutout to Doc, who had conflicts with Pierce, the media and the entire town who wanted him out a lot during the offseason and the winding down of last year's pitiful performance. His father passed away this year and by the time they finally received the championship trophy, it was early morning of June 18th, his father's birthday. It is always good to see a class act winning his first ever.

Go Celtics, and looking forward to number 18 in the near future!

P.S. Kobe is overrated
CitricAcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2008, 09:20 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I watched Garnett when he was with the T-wolves and I am sure it was a disappointment for those fans not to see them build a team good enough around his talent...Glad to see some good guys win.....
Old 06-18-2008, 05:34 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm from Seattle and we were able to see that Ray Allen is a good player but he is also a great teammate. It was great to see the selfish players like Kobe and Radmanovic ending up looking like chumps that belong in the WNBA.
AzDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:04 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I loved the Celtics when I was a kid. Enjoyed watching Sam Jones, Bill Russell, John Havlicek, and all the rest in the old era. Larry Bird in the 80's. But I lost touch with the game when Bird retired and lost all touch when Jordan retired. All the obscene salaries turned me off.

I haven't watched a full game in several years. I did watch the final 5 minutes last night. Glad the Celtic fans had something to cheer about again.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle View Post
I watched Garnett when he was with the T-wolves and I am sure it was a disappointment for those fans not to see them build a team good enough around his talent...Glad to see some good guys win.....
Yep...we here in Minnesota are always happy to see our stars in baseball & basketball go on to realize their dreams and full potential somewhere else....it's surprising how many of us are happy for him - he was loyal to us for 12 years we realize he wouldn't be able to get to the top here... I do have many great memories watching the Celtics back in the 60s- 70s-80s..nice to see them beat the Lakers (trivia time - Lakers originally from Minneapolis hence the name - not to many lakes in LA! not a lot a Jazz in Utah either)
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:57 AM   #6

Randy Moss, David Ortiz, Kevin Garnett all defects from Minnesota to Boston (Randy Moss did have a little stay in the bay), we thank you Minnesota, you can have McHale! Best Laker of all time is George Mikan with his time playing for the Minnesota Lakers
Old 06-19-2008, 08:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitricAcid View Post
Randy Moss, David Ortiz, Kevin Garnett all defects from Minnesota to Boston (Randy Moss did have a little stay in the bay), we thank you Minnesota, you can have McHale! Best Laker of all time is George Mikan with his time playing for the Minnesota Lakers
Welcome! and I hope the Mets and Angels fans are happy too. All fingers point at McHale - but he continues to work his "magic" - was a good player though...there is a loyalty to native sons here that is self- defeating...
The Twins will rise again and then you can have those overpriced stars too and so it goes here in small market sports land!
Old 06-19-2008, 12:39 PM   #8

The final dagger in the heart would be the Bruins taking the cup with Phil Kessel scoring the GW goal.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:24 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

That'd be too much to expect. But I'd take it!

Somewhere I've got a picture of me at about 4 years old in a bobby orr #4 bruins outfit knocking in a goal.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:41 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitricAcid View Post
thank you Minnesota, you can have McHale!
Looks like McHale made one more assist for Boston, even in retirement.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:52 PM   #11

I was thinking the same thing...I am sure that he would have never traded him to the Lakers...
Old 06-19-2008, 05:19 PM   #12

I'm a big Celtic Fan and a Red Sox Fan, as well. The Lakers did not have the bench to beat Boston. Doc Rivers is a good coach who got them to play as a team and not a bunch of prima donnas. But the credit for #17 must go to Danny Ainge for signing all those players. And yes, thank you Minnesota.

What did y'all think of the referees? To me, officiating is questionable in the NBA. The home team wins most of the time, and if you look at the calls, you can understand why. I doubt it's deliberate or fixed, but it sure is annoying to see something called at one of the court and not at the other.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:47 PM   #13

On behalf of Minnesota , let me put on my best Minnesota Nice face and say to all you ****ers that are thanking Minnesota that you are all ****ing most welcome! We feel good when we can make others feel good...I'm not going to die until the Vikings, Wolves, Twins & Wild are champs in the same year...
Old 06-19-2008, 07:51 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I'm not going to die until the Vikings, Wolves, Twins & Wild are champs in the same year...
Man, you must be immortal!
Old 06-19-2008, 07:54 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

#$%^#%$%^!^&

I grew up just minutes from the Forum, first basketball finals I watched was when the rookie Magic took over as center for the injured Kareem and owned it. Showtime, I miss it.

Congrats to the better team. I always liked KG.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:50 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

What Laurence said... My first interest in the Lakers was in 71-72 when they had a 33 game winning streak (still an NBA record). My interest in them lagged when moved to Hawaii, but I was so looking forward to this series. And so %*$#% at there play, Kobe MVP?

The Celtics are a class franchise so a very grudgingly congratulations are in order, but wait till next year!!
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:00 AM   #17

To Eagle43, I did not think the refs were that horrible. Wearing green-tinted glasses made me think that Game 3 was ridiculously favoring the Lakers, especially Kobe early on. Phil Jackson complaining about the disparity in fouls doesn't tell the whole story, Vujacic, Radmanovic, Fisher, Farmar and Walton sit around shooting from the outside while the Celtics would head to the hole with Garnett, Perkins, Pierce and Powe. Then, all of a sudden in Game 3, Kobe can get to the line by just walking into the paint... not a big deal to me. By the way, I HATE the Lakers and kind of like the Spurs and I still do not think that Fisher should have been called for a foul on that play in the Western Conference Finals.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:04 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

My first professional bassetball game was the Kentucky Colonels and the Carolina Cougars game, circa 1972-73. Think Artis Gilmore, Dan Issel, Louie Dampier, Billy Cunningham...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
My first professional bassetball game was the Kentucky Colonels and the Carolina Cougars game, circa 1972-73. Think Artis Gilmore, Dan Issel, Louie Dampier, Billy Cunningham...
Carolina Cougars...that would be a great name for a WNBA team
Old 06-20-2008, 09:13 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah, HFWR. We had the Virginia Squires of the ABA. About all I remember is that red, white and blue basketball.
lifeisgood is offline   Reply With Quote