Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-31-2010, 12:45 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

pssht. Here in Polk County Oregano they don't send out tax statements till maybe 2 weeks before the taxes are due November 15th. Cuts down on the screaming if we the taxed get ambushed with a surprise amount. We can then appeal the appraised value but not the amount - best be paying first though.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2010, 12:47 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The pigs are still grounded in my neck of the woods. My appraisal arrived yesterday and is up 4.7%. With the prospect of a rock quarry looming next door I suspect there will be a torchlight parade on the county tax office if my neighbors don't get the decreases we were anticipating.
The country will probably raise your assessment in hopes of sharing in the huge mineral-rights windfall that the quarry will bring to your holdings...

Our tax assessments are based on local recent sales prices divided by square feet of the lot. It's a crude approximation but if prices have been dropping then the assessment drops too, unless the city council raises the assessment rate. But they've historically proven reluctant to take that step during election years.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:24 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Our tax assessments are based on local recent sales prices...
That is allegedly the same criteria our county appraisal district uses.

There are approximately 40 houses in our rural subdivision - six of them have been listed for sale in the past year. One gave up and took his off the market after a few months. Three are still on the market even though at least one of the owners dropped their asking price. Two sold - one was a foreclosure that had been trashed inside and required the buyer to do some major renovation and was priced accordingly. The other was a divorce sale and the lady who owned it was desperate to sell after having the house on the market for more than a year. She lowered her asking price twice during that time and told a neighbor she "Gave the house away just so she could get on with her life".

Add to the above information the looming prospect of a rock quarry starting up next door and I'm hard pressed to see how an increase is justified. It will be interesting to see what the folks at the Appraisal District have to say when I call them next week. They should know me by now since I've protested every increase they've tried to hoist on me for the past three years, especially the 13% increase a couple of years ago that turned out to be a "mistake". (Somehow the files were changed to show our home as new construction and our deck, which I built for less than $5K, was valued at $35K!)

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:21 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sounds like you have some good comps to take with you to the protest.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
pssht. Here in Polk County Oregano they don't send out tax statements till maybe 2 weeks before the taxes are due November 15th.
Yeah, so they probably don't arrive in the mailbox until the day after Election Day.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:49 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
They should know me by now since I've protested every increase they've tried to hoist on me for the past three years, especially the 13% increase a couple of years ago that turned out to be a "mistake". (Somehow the files were changed to show our home as new construction and our deck, which I built for less than $5K, was valued at $35K!)
They're probably running an office pool for the time when your phone number will show up on the office's caller ID...

It does sound like they've made a few "hedonic adjustments" to your assessment to bring it into line with what they presume market conditions would otherwise be in a more rational environment. Yeah, that's it, rational environment.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:29 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

REW, you should make them a deal. They get to set the price on your house, but you get to decide whether to sell it to them each year.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:59 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
REW, you should make them a deal. They get to set the price on your house, but you get to decide whether to sell it to them each year.
I know it's unworkable and unfeasible, but I've often thought it would be cool if a tax appraisal also doubled as an offer to buy the house for (say) 90% of the assessed value. Once you receive the appraisal, you'd have 60 days to serve notice that you intend to exercise the option to sell. It would certainly create incentive to accurately assess real estate values...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:07 PM   #29

I like the theory but where would the funds come from to purchase the homes? From increased property taxes!

Old 06-01-2010, 03:09 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I know it's unworkable and unfeasible, but I've often thought it would be cool if a tax appraisal also doubled as an offer to buy the house for (say) 90% of the assessed value. Once you receive the appraisal, you'd have 60 days to serve notice that you intend to exercise the option to sell. It would certainly create incentive to accurately assess real estate values...
And a tax protest should constitute an offer to sell.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:24 PM   #31

I visited with the folks at the county appraisal district today regarding the increase in my property value assessment. I discussed the sales activity in our neighborhood during the past year - the four unsuccessful attempts to sell and the two that did sell and asked how they could justify an increase. Their response was 1) the failure of the four neighborhood listings to sell had no bearing on property values, 2) one of the sales (the foreclosure) was in late 2008 and has no bearing on the recent property value assessment, and 3) they have no record of the most recent sale (I learned the sale was delayed and the house has not closed.).

Since there have been no sales in the past year, asked why my assessment had increased ( BTW, the increase was 1.4%, not the 4.7% I stated earlier) and was told it was simply a construction replacement cost increase. I asked, as politely as I could muster, if they were living under a rock and weren't aware of the quarry going in next door (we're still fighting it but the writing is on the wall). I was assured they were well aware of it and that it would likely negatively impact the value of the homes in our neighborhood. They explained until a house sells in our neighborhood they have no way to measure the impact of the quarry and cannot adjust our property values. When I pointed out the obvious fact no one had been able to sell a house out here in the past year and the quarry going in would make it even more difficult to find a buyer, I was told, "Sorry, that's the law."

Bottom line, before any of us living here can get our assessed property values lowered to reflect reality someone is going to have to sell/give away their house.

What a fustercluck.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:35 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
They explained until a house sells in our neighborhood they have no way to measure the impact of the quarry and cannot adjust our property values.
That argument cuts both ways, they also would have no basis to increase the value.

I would think that a copy of the signed purchase agreement for the divorced woman's home would be good evidence of value.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I would think that a copy of the signed purchase agreement for the divorced woman's home would be good evidence of value.
Yeah, you'd think - but then we're dealing with the county gummint here.

According to the appraisal district they look only at completed sales during the 12 month period of April 2009 through March 2010 to set 2010 appraisal values. Unless the sale actually closed during that time period it won't be considered.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

The Chamber of Commerce still payin you REW? Spiders, scorpions, fire ants, heat, humidity, and now ridiculous unfounded tax assessment increases?
Old 06-04-2010, 02:21 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
The Chamber of Commerce still payin you REW? Spiders, scorpions, fire ants, heat, humidity, and now ridiculous unfounded tax assessment increases?
I'm gonna have to ask for a raise...