Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Pilot, prepare for expedited egress:
Old 07-24-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Pilot, prepare for expedited egress:

Dis-Mount!

Photoblog - Pilot ejects an instant before fighterjet crashes
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Procrastination in action. Another half second and he would have been a human lawn dart.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Procrastination in action. Another half second and he would have been a flaming human lawn dart.
fixed it for you....
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

At least he couldn't be accused of premature ejectulation.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Reminds me of footage they have shown several times on (IIRC) Hist. Chan. Two Russian pilots clip each others wings at an air show; both planes crash in huge fireballs. Then, you see the parachutes. Soon, you see a pilot, in full flight suit walking out of the smoke, carrying his helmet. He pauses, lights up a cigarette, and saunters on. This guy was cool (Kool?). It occurred to me upon at least one viewing that reminding this particular pilot that smoking was bad for his health was a bit redundant.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:50 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

The maneuvre as described in AVweb:

In advance of the weekend airshow, Bews was practicing a maneuver called the High Alpha Path when witnesses say they saw sparks coming from one of the engines and heard loud "popping noises." The High Alpha Path is a maximum angle of attack/minimum speed maneuver that relies on engine power to keep the aircraft stable. "I noticed it start to bank a little bit off to one side, which I kind of thought was unusual and I saw a couple of pops and all of a sudden this plane just banked and slowly dropped into the ground into this huge orange ball of fire," said Lethbridge Herald photographer Ian Martens, who took these jaw-dropping images.

UPDATE:
Captain Bews was treated for minor scrapes and has a sore back but was released from the hospital on Friday.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:04 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post

UPDATE:
Captain Bews was treated for minor scrapes and has a sore back but was released from the hospital on Friday.
Wonder if his back injury was related to the whiplash it looks like he suffered in the initial photo or to the large load he was carrying in the seat of his flight suit when he impacted the ground...
Old 07-24-2010, 05:00 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I'd have a load in my flight suit if cruising a few hundred feet off the ground at slow speed attempting to have the airplane rotate towards vertical nose up position controlling attitude and altitude by using thrust levers.

Ah the price of glory.

You can see the approach and rotation in the following video.

YouTube - ChiefmoonNewshawk's Channel
Old 07-24-2010, 08:19 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Reminds me of footage they have shown several times on (IIRC) Hist. Chan. Two Russian pilots clip each others wings at an air show; both planes crash in huge fireballs. Then, you see the parachutes. Soon, you see a pilot, in full flight suit walking out of the smoke, carrying his helmet. He pauses, lights up a cigarette, and saunters on. This guy was cool (Kool?). It occurred to me upon at least one viewing that reminding this particular pilot that smoking was bad for his health was a bit redundant.
Sorry to quote myself, but here is at least one view of the incident I mentioned.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:06 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

And another thing. When I see these narrow escapes, I always wonder if some poor schnook has ever safely ejected and then landed in his own fireball. Bummer! I recall a scene from "The Spirit of St. Louis", with Jimmie Stewart in which (supposedly) Lindbergh bails out when his aircraft runs out of fuel at night. As he floats down, his doomed plane makes a series of circles, narrowly missing him with each pass. Very exciting when I saw the movie at age 10.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:45 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I saw this crash in person:

I was about 50 feet away from the camera so this was pretty much exactly what I saw.

The wreckage came very close to clobbering the control tower, as you can see.

There were several thousand spectators on the opposite side of the runways (across from the tower, behind the camera), so it was a good thing the pilot crashed on the other side.

The pilot actually ejected a split second before the crash, and got up and walked away, although it was a few minutes before the crowd knew that so for that brief period of time we thought we had just seen a man die. Very surreal.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:01 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
And another thing. When I see these narrow escapes, I always wonder if some poor schnook has ever safely ejected and then landed in his own fireball.
Apparently at least one schnook has so expired. Another thundberbird pilot:
Quote:
The first was the death of Major Joe Howard flying Thunderbird 3 on June 4, 1972 at Dulles Airport, during Transpo 72. His Phantom (F-4E s/n# 66-0321) experienced a structural failure of the horizontal stabilizer. Maj Howard ejected as the aircraft fell back to earth from about 1,500 feet tail first and descended under a good canopy, but was too close to the explosion fireball and did not survive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I saw this crash in person:

I was about 50 feet away from the camera so this was pretty much exactly what I saw.

The wreckage came very close to clobbering the control tower, as you can see.

There were several thousand spectators on the opposite side of the runways (across from the tower, behind the camera), so it was a good thing the pilot crashed on the other side.

The pilot actually ejected a split second before the crash, and got up and walked away, although it was a few minutes before the crowd knew that so for that brief period of time we thought we had just seen a man die. Very surreal.
Cool vid - pilot a cool hand as well, hung with it until 0.8 seconds before impact. Weird cause on that accident, according to Wiki. The pilots use above ground level (AGL) readings for their stunts - as in this vid in which he should have entered it at a minimum of 2500 feet AGL. But the instruments only showed altitude in readings above mean sea level (MSL). Since home base was 1100 feet lower MSL than the location of the show, he entered the stunt at only 1600 feet AGL - oops. I'm a tad confused about that cause though, I thought altimeters could be adjusted to reflect the MSL of the actual ground level at a certain location so pilots could minimize that whole running-out-of-sky problem.