Join Early Retirement Today

Pineapple at Costco
Old 06-29-2007, 11:05 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Pineapple at Costco

Just an FYI - had one of the Maui Gold pineapples from Costlyco - I've not had anything like it before. Not that I'm a big pineapple eater, being mostly used to canned, but dang - that's some sweet mellow eating, not stringy and pucker making tangy. Dunno if they get to all the Costcos, but keep an eye out..

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2007, 08:58 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I learned a pineapple buying rule and perhaps Nords the grower can confirm it.

Supposedly the pineapple has a set amount of sugar in it and converts this sugar to sponsor growth of the green "top". So you choose pineapples with the smallest "leaves" and those are going to be the sweetest and juiciest.

Since I started using that method, it seems to be true.

And yeah, costco pineapples are good AND pretty cheap to boot.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 10:26 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I'll second that, we had a great Maui Gold recently.

Another tip: they don't get ripen or get sweeter as they sit on the counter, so there's no reason wait before eating them.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:09 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

i've never done the cost/benefit analysis of the costco pineapple, they are yummy - but seem so expensive. of course, cutting up that prickly pineapple can be a pain too...but then again, there are those cool pineapple corer things...he he and we always need more kitchen gadgets i may never use...
Old 06-30-2007, 12:18 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I learned a pineapple buying rule and perhaps Nords the grower can confirm it.
Supposedly the pineapple has a set amount of sugar in it and converts this sugar to sponsor growth of the green "top". So you choose pineapples with the smallest "leaves" and those are going to be the sweetest and juiciest.
No clue-- wouldn't the sugar-free pineapples also have small green tops?

The nice thing about planting pineapples is that they take up a lot of yard space and don't need much water or attention. Fruit is an unexpected bonus.

Maui Golds are yummy, and one of the best resarch products to come out of the labs. It was supposed to help save the industry from Thai & Malaysian imports but I don't think that's gonna happen.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:09 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
i've never done the cost/benefit analysis of the costco pineapple, they are yummy - but seem so expensive. of course, cutting up that prickly pineapple can be a pain too...but then again, there are those cool pineapple corer things...he he and we always need more kitchen gadgets i may never use...
You might already have all the gadget you need. Have an electric knife?

Lay the pineapple on its side, use the electric knife to remove the top and bottom, then place it on its now flat bottom and 'slice' off the skin in ~1-2" strips. Now slice between the core and the flesh four times, turning the pineapple 90 degrees between slices.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:21 PM   #7

hehe, no electric knife here...but i did recently see someone on top chef cut off the top and bottom and use a large knife, and rolled the pineapple clean of the skin - might try that! the corer is still cool though because then you can use the remains and fill it up w/ something...for all those parties i cater...ha!
Old 06-30-2007, 01:50 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Hey lookee here

Alton Brown on picking a pineapple, and cutting one up with an electric knife, although he uses the "roll" method bright eyes talked about.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:03 PM   #9

i love alton brown, perfect combo of geek and gourmet.

nords - he did say smaller stalk is better, half green, half yellow...mental note to self!

sniff, thump, measure...
Old 06-30-2007, 03:52 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

There's nothing like fresh pineapple (and supposedly it's wonderful grilled---something on my to do list).

Calmloki, do you remember how much the pineapple is at Costco? I'm not a member, but if prices are really lower, would join. Today I bought a pineapple for $2.99 at the local Korean store.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:51 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

They are consistently $2.98 at Sam's Club.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:53 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Greg eats a lot of pineapple. Often he can find them for two for five bucks at the local grocery.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:13 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

The really good ones are flown around, often labeled as "jet" pineapples. So the further east you are, the more expensive they might be.

A little over two bucks a pop at costco and sams around here.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:23 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
There's nothing like fresh pineapple (and supposedly it's wonderful grilled---something on my to do list).

Calmloki, do you remember how much the pineapple is at Costco? I'm not a member, but if prices are really lower, would join. Today I bought a pineapple for $2.99 at the local Korean store.
Just checked the reciept - $3.29. My 10" kitchen knife made short work of peeling: lop the top and bottom, slice skin off in strips, 1/4, slice out the sorta woody core. I was happier with it raw than cooked, (stuck it in a covered pan with a little water, added some vanilla and some peach liquor, dolloped it all around some Breyer's vanilla ice cream - great sauce, so-so pineapple). $5.49 for the tuscan melon (read:elongated stripey cantaloupe), which was not worthwhile, perhaps because I got a pair that was too green.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:25 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The really good ones are flown around, often labeled as "jet" pineapples. So the further east you are, the more expensive they might be.

A little over two bucks a pop at costco and sams around here.
Hmm. Salem Oregon Costco here - maybe you are near a hub airport?
Old 06-30-2007, 07:30 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Not far from Sac, Fresno, San Fran and Oakland...oakland takes a lot of freight.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:35 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not far from Sac, Fresno, San Fran and Oakland...oakland takes a lot of freight.
Eh - it's a California thing - your booze is cheaper too. I enjoy the thrill of buying hooch in Costco or Stater's and carting it back with me in the checked luggage when we fly out of Palm Springs.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:41 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Our milk's dirt cheap too. Although its gone up a bit lately. Until last month it was under four bucks for two gallons of milk.

Its been a long time since I bought booze elsewhere, but it was a big thrill when I moved here from MA to buy beer in a drugstore at 2am on a sunday.

By the way, I believe you can buy booze at costco/sams club in most states without a membership.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:11 PM   #19

aah - i thought at first you were talking about the pre-cut pineapples in the fridge section at costco - that ones around $8 bucks a pack? not sure how many individual pineapples it is- maybe 1-1.5...so that is the expensive one...
Old 07-01-2007, 06:36 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

WooHoo Costco pineapples are only $2 sometime $2.50. Finally something on the islands cheaper than the mainland.