Pink Floyd

Money...they're still giving none away. Thanks for the reminder - I wore two LP's out and need to get another.

I attended a Dark Side of the Moon concert, in quadrophonic sound, at the rather small Hec Ed basketball center, U of W, Seattle, early 1973 I believe it was, for a student price of $2.75.

I liked Atom Heart Mother the best. However Dark Side of the Moon was a popular audiophile test disk so Dad and I heard plenty of it.

Yep - great album. Made a huge impression on me. Still enjoy it immensely.

My buds and I still go camping every Oct (30+ years now). As is the tradition, the last album we listen to Friday night is Dark Side. Mellowing out around the campfire with Pink Floyd...there's nothing better. Of course, the music player has evolved from the eight track to the cassette to the CD to the iPod.

Great album,great band.
sidebar--- can"t believe Syd Barrett is gone over six years.Very innovative musician.Sad that he became a recluse after leaving the band,hope he was happy.RIP.

It was the year I left home for college. Fantastic memories come from listening to that album....

Remember that Dark Side of the Rainbow business?

Dark Side of the Rainbow – also known as Dark Side of Oz or The Wizard of Floyd – refers to the pairing of the 1973 Pink Floyd album The Dark Side of the Moon with the visual portion of the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz.[1] This produces moments where the film and the album appear to correspond with each other. The title of the music video-like experience comes from a combination of the album title and the film's song "Over the Rainbow". Band members and others involved in the making of the album state that any relationship between the two works of art is merely a coincidence.​

Sorry---never really liked their music, and I'm a big fan of all types of music. Back in the early 70's, worked for a 5-state chain of retail stores that sold stereo equipment. Our in-house technician / repair guy was a cool dude. He'd fix the employee's equipment at his home for free. He had every Pink Floyd album, and that was all he would listen to, period. Was great to get my equipment fixed for free at his house, but listening to Pink Floyd for 2-3 hours non-stop used to drive me up a wall!

I have the CD. I load it in and crank up the volume, a few times a year. My favorite time to play it is on a road trip in my Mustang convertible. Great cruising music! :cool:

Second to this album in my lineup is Days of Future Passed.

Thanks - I listened to the entire album. I seldom listen to an entire album any more and admittedly I had a small case of the heebie-jeebies until I finally relaxed. I am thankful to have grown up in that era. IMO, best music of all time.
Peace

Thanks - I listened to the entire album. I seldom listen to an entire album any more and admittedly I had a small case of the heebie-jeebies until I finally relaxed. I am thankful to have grown up in that era. IMO, best music of all time.
Peace

This is one of those albums that really must be listened to in its entirety for full appreciation. Yes, individual songs are great and stand on their own ("Money" in particular), but it really was meant, and best enjoyed, as a 'concept'. Just let it flow.

I think the following line from the album is the most concise way possible to express the absurdity of war:

forward he cried from the rear
and the front rank died
and the General sat, and the lines on the map
moved from side to side

I'll put John Coltrane's "A Love Supreme" in that category of 'concept' albums as well.

-ERD50

Dark Side of the Moon holds the record for longest time on the Billboard record charts. It was in the charts for 741 weeks from 1973 to 1988.

The movie was a huge element in my teen years. Must have watched it 50 times. Anytime I hear songs from it, I recall the old boyfriend I gad who was crazy about Pink Floyd. The last gift I gave him as a breakup present was a Roger Waters cd.

I always thought it was cool how Money was 7/4 time - a very unusual meter. It switched to 4/4 time in the middle instrumental part, then back to 7/4 at the end. Very, very cool.

I always thought it was cool how Money was 7/4 time - a very unusual meter. It switched to 4/4 time in the middle instrumental part, then back to 7/4 at the end. Very, very cool.

As was "Tom Sawyer" by Rush.

Didn't listen to Pink Floyd much during my youth, but am branching out. Have "Dark Side" and "The Wall". I had to listen a few times to appreciate them, but they are both great albums. Am looking to add to my collection. Are there any other Pink Floyd albums you'd recommend that are similar to Dark Side or The Wall?

Didn't listen to Pink Floyd much during my youth, but am branching out. Have "Dark Side" and "The Wall". I had to listen a few times to appreciate them, but they are both great albums. Am looking to add to my collection. Are there any other Pink Floyd albums you'd recommend that are similar to Dark Side or The Wall?

Meddle

:cool:

Back
Top Bottom