Join Early Retirement Today

Pink Floyd and ER
Old 08-01-2015, 09:03 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Pink Floyd and ER

I had the opportunity to see a band called Brit Floyd the other night. They are a fantastic Pink Floyd cover band, and I would recommend seeing them if you like the original.

Anyhoo, while at w*rk the day after the show, I couldn't get the lyrics of a particular song out of my head:

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
Fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way

Less than one year to go!
Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #2

Saw them on a PBS special a while back - quite good.

Was just playing "Animals" yesterday....gotta get my Floyd fix every once and awhile.
BBQ-Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:46 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I saw the band in early 1973 at a smaller venue, before they started filling stadiums. Still the greatest concert I've ever seen.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:53 AM   #4

PF is still one of my favorite bands! i listen to them often, when riding the bike...a PF song comes on, volume goes up and smile ensues.....so many good memories. I remember listening to the song "welcome to the machine" in college with trepidation . If you have not heard this song check it out. One of their best in my opinion.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
I saw the band in early 1973 at a smaller venue, before they started filling stadiums. Still the greatest concert I've ever seen.
Me, too. Saw them in early 1973 at UW's Hec Ed basketball auditorium on their "Dark Side of the Moon" tour, in quadrophonic sound, for about a $2.75 student priced ticket. One of the Top 3 or 4 concerts ever for me. (Paul McCartney, Stevie Wonder and CSN&Y were my other faves.)
Birdie Num Nums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:48 PM   #6

Birdie, Wikipedia says the band's Hec date was September 29, 1972, about six months before the album was actually released (not that Wiki is 100% trustworthy). It was just incredible what the band could do with lights and other special effects in the controlled space of an arena -- I saw the band twice in a stadium environment, and while the stunts were bigger in stature, to me they weren't as impressive. And of course, the musical set list revolved around a landmark of an album.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:56 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I saw Britt Floyd a few months back and they were great. Never saw Pink Floyd but this was next best thing.
Livefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:57 PM   #8

"Welcome To The Machine"

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
Where have you been? It's alright we know where you've been.
You've been in the pipeline, filling in time,
provided with toys and Scouting for Boys.
You bought a guitar to punish your ma,
And you didn't like school, and you know you're nobody's fool,
So welcome to the machine.
What did you dream? It's alright we told you what to dream.
You dreamed of a big star, he played a mean guitar,
He always ate in the Steak Bar. He loved to drive in his Jaguar.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:49 PM   #9

The remaining members had an album out recently. Decent instrumental effort.

Gilmour just released a single in July for his new album Rattle That Lock. I like it.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
Birdie, Wikipedia says the band's Hec date was September 29, 1972, about six months before the album was actually released (not that Wiki is 100% trustworthy). It was just incredible what the band could do with lights and other special effects in the controlled space of an arena -- I saw the band twice in a stadium environment, and while the stunts were bigger in stature, to me they weren't as impressive. And of course, the musical set list revolved around a landmark of an album.
Well, then, that's the date, as I had just started college at the UW that month. I was living in Haggett Hall--a co-ed dorm, just up the hill from Hec Ed. I am positive it was a "Dark Side of the Moon" show. It was the first and only show I attended that had speakers at all four corners of the venue (quadrophonic sound). When they performed "Money"--that opening sound effect of the coins bounced from corner to corner to corner to corner and all around. It was amazing!

(I just now googled it and found the set list! "Echoes" was the popular song we college guys were all looking forward to, not knowing about DSOM or the impact that album would have.)

P.S. Also saw Rod Stewart and Faces there at Hec Ed in 1975, right before they broke up and Stewart went off on his own. That concert is in my Top 10 ever, perhaps Top 7. It was a really good show.
Birdie Num Nums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
"Welcome To The Machine"

Where have you been? It's alright we know where you've been.
You've been in the pipeline, filling in time,
provided with toys and Scouting for Boys.
You bought a guitar to punish your ma,
And you didn't like school, and you know you're nobody's fool,
What did you dream? It's alright we told you what to dream.
You dreamed of a big star, he played a mean guitar,
He always ate in the Steak Bar. He loved to drive in his Jaguar.
Thanks for words to the song frayne!

I have no more trepidation....no Jaguar, but can eat at he steak bar any time I want!

PF was way ahead of it's time. I found a link on youtube that had all their albums and have been listening this afternoon while getting ready for company very soothing music. I used to study with it in the background, always settled me. Just don't listen to the words!
Old 08-01-2015, 09:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie Num Nums View Post
Well, then, that's the date, as I had just started college at the UW that month. I was living in Haggett Hall--a co-ed dorm, just up the hill from Hec Ed. I am positive it was a "Dark Side of the Moon" show. It was the first and only show I attended that had speakers at all four corners of the venue (quadrophonic sound). When they performed "Money"--that opening sound effect of the coins bounced from corner to corner to corner to corner and all around. It was amazing!

(I just now googled it and found the set list! "Echoes" was the popular song we college guys were all looking forward to, not knowing about DSOM or the impact that album would have.)

P.S. Also saw Rod Stewart and Faces there at Hec Ed in 1975, right before they broke up and Stewart went off on his own. That concert is in my Top 10 ever, perhaps Top 7. It was a really good show.
The March '73 concert I saw was in Madison, Wis., very shortly after the "Dark Side" album was released. Did you ever see that Pink Floyd film set in Pompeii? It featured "Echoes" and other songs from the "Meddle" album.

A friend had just bought a quadraphonic sound system that spring and had a quad recording of DSOM as a demo for the system. (On 8-track, if I remember correctly!) It was fun to listen to, with sounds and voices coming from hither and yon.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:48 AM   #13

Quote:
PF was way ahead of it's time. I found a link on youtube that had all their albums and have been listening this afternoon while getting ready for company very soothing music. I used to study with it in the background, always settled me . Just don't listen to the words!
+1

It was good "Walkman" background music to work on the engineering problem sets back in the college days

I sill think that Dark Side of the Moon is my favorite album of all time.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote