Join Early Retirement Today

Pinnacle Security sucks - beware traveling salesman
Old 01-31-2009, 04:30 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Pinnacle Security sucks - beware traveling salesman

So we got took by a door to door salesman from Pinnacle Security. The "free" system ended up being really crappy, and when the alarm went off (false) their CONTACT THIS NOW line was busy for 30 minutes. Now the city has cited us. Went to terminate the service and they said, "Sure, just pay us for 2 more years right now". "Huh?". "Oh, you didn't read section 4.b.2.a.1.b? 3 year contract, no early termination clause except for failure of service. So I said they failed so clearly I'm out. No no, they are allowed a chance to correct it. How do you correct what happened. "After careful review, better luck next time" Wa La, we were "corrected" - no termination. WTF?
So I have engaged in an email war and reported them to the BBB. In addition, they automatically renew to a new 3 year warranty unless you snail mail a letter of termination and they acknowledge reciept of it 30 days before your contract is up. So I said, "well I'm mailing it now" and they replied, "oh, it's too early, we can't accept it yet" but then couldn't tell me when it wouldn't be too early anymore. Obviously, they sit on letters and then automatically renew and tell you to f*** off. Funny how the stooge on the phone magically became the manager when I asked to speak to one.
So, any tips? Anything else I can do? I'm thinking about setting up a "Pinnacle Security Sucks" website and doing my homework so it comes up high on Google. Maybe I'll picket outside of their local office, call the local news. Any advice? The salesman made it sound like you could cancel anytime, but I know that's not legel cover per se.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2009, 04:37 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wow Laurence, I"m surprised that you signed up for something that you didn't read. I'm sure that they locked you in pretty good so I'd just rock their boat as best you can. Also make sure you use return receipt request when sending them mail. This way you have proof that you sent it.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:48 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

What I usually do is what my SO refers to as pulling a New Jersey . I get in their face and do not leave until they make it right . I insist on talking to a supervisor and then I just keep repeating my complaints over & over making a pest of myself . It really works good in offices or stores where the just want to get rid of you . If you doubt this call Best Buy and they will vouch for me as they biggest PIA they ever had to deal with .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:06 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Might be time to turn to legal counsel. A letter on letterhead stating that they did in fact fail to perform on their end of the contract means that you can cancel. Or perhaps call your state attorney general's office and ask if they will take a complaint.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:14 PM   #5

Start with your state Attorney General, they all have an office of Consumer Affairs. Let the state issue the first letter, then go to every consumer advocate service (local preferably) for follow up. I wouldn't even bother with your own attorney, between the state, BBB, and the local consumer advocates, I'm sure they find a way to get the contract cancelled.

Rita
Old 01-31-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I will try the AG and the legal letterhead next. My bad on the contract, they did most of the negotiating with DW and I came home from work kind of harried and hurried and said, "what? o.k., I guess." and signed it.

We had our previous company for six years, I was always willing to do the alarm system because my homeowners pays for half of it with the discount. I only want out because their service has failed us. We'll see how it goes.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:16 PM   #7

Why not a registered letter spelling out their "failure of service". Correcting it would include their paying city costs. Then, quit paying them.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:39 AM   #8

Get a new credit card # / checking account # on whatever account used to pay them. This changes the future situation (at renewal time) from "give us our money back" to "keep billing us all you want, we cancelled you".
Old 02-01-2009, 11:01 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Did you pay by credit card? If so, most cards have a dispute resolution process that's detailed in the fine print.

Essentially you direct the card company to not pay their portion of the bill because you've got a problem with the goods/services you purchased. This puts the onus on the company to make it right, and usually gets these types of losers off your back.

Previous advice to register mail, keep scrupulous records will all pay off.
deepc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #10
gone traveling

On a distantly related note ....Had a knock on my door from a Securities Salesman this weekend- a poor sap from the new Edward Jones office, out knocking on doors trying to drum up business... after reading this thread it struck me that The Pinnacle guy would probably prove less costly in the long run

As for the security folks, I'd notify them via registered mail of their failure to perform, and submit the bill from the city. Then formally dispute the CC charge, followed by getting a new CC. Send a letter to the AG office, and the BBB. Document everything, but steadfastly maintain in all correspondence that they failed to perform, and you were forced to cancel the contract for security reasons. I'd also cc the CEO of Pinnacle on the AG and BBB letters- their customer service folks don't want the negative publicity at that level and he doesn't want the thing to escalate- the less exposure the better. The bill from the city is iron-clad proof of their failure to perform.

Good luck.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:44 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

This is what I did with CAR-X after they refused to honor their warranty on a muffler. Only the exterior of a muffler is warrantied and they have milage restrictions. Go to your attorney General or BBB and log a complaint, all you want tis the log number, they are both pretty useless otherwise. Now look up some of the competitors such as Brinks, ADT, Wells Fargo and get their coporate adresses and contact names. Now spend some time detailing a letter as to what resolution you want and what action you will take if you don't receive a response. Set up deadlines at which time you will make copies of the whole mess available to each competitor in turn, say two weeks apart. Dear Mr. Smith, I've logged said complaint on your business, on February 19th I will forward copies of your business practices to Brinks, marketing department, on March first I will forward copies to Wells Fargo, on March 15 etc. You actually don't send anything but convince them that you are crazy enough to do so. Everytime they pass a deadline contact them and tell them what you've done. CARX was stubborn but two months later the owner contacted me and said bring the car back, he had had enough. I had already replaced it somewhere else but got satisfaction in telling them I couldn't sell my ethics for the price of a muffler. I used email, never used profanity, and was a constant thorn in their side.
ratface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:11 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
On a distantly related note ....Had a knock on my door from a Securities Salesman this weekend- a poor sap from the new Edward Jones office, out knocking on doors trying to drum up business... after reading this thread it struck me that The Pinnacle guy would probably prove less costly in the long run

As for the security folks, I'd notify them via registered mail of their failure to perform, and submit the bill from the city. Then formally dispute the CC charge, followed by getting a new CC. Send a letter to the AG office, and the BBB. Document everything, but steadfastly maintain in all correspondence that they failed to perform, and you were forced to cancel the contract for security reasons. I'd also cc the CEO of Pinnacle on the AG and BBB letters- their customer service folks don't want the negative publicity at that level and he doesn't want the thing to escalate- the less exposure the better. The bill from the city is iron-clad proof of their failure to perform.

Good luck.
Good tips, but judging from a google of Pinnacle, they don't seem to care much about bad publicity.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, that's what I've found. Word of mouth is not their business model.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:27 AM   #14

We had some security company guy come around selling a "free" system for one year, if you put their sign on the front yard, and if you signed up for five years, but that part was only in the fine print, which I read.

Told him to pound sand.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

RESOLUTION:

They sent me a letter basically saying they did nothing wrong, it was all my fault yadda yadda, but booted me from their company. Hey, they can have the last word, I got what I wanted. I think the BBB complaint is what did it.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:39 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
RESOLUTION:

They sent me a letter basically saying they did nothing wrong, it was all my fault yadda yadda, but booted me from their company. Hey, they can have the last word, I got what I wanted. I think the BBB complaint is what did it.
"Booted" as in they terminated the contract without any further commitment on your part?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Technically, they transferred us back to ADT, but ADT is going to come out and re-set up the system or I can cancel with them.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:11 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
Technically, they transferred us back to ADT, but ADT is going to come out and re-set up the system or I can cancel with them.
It'd be interesting to see a police department's "Consumer Reports"-style ranking on security companies vs false alarms.

I guess the BBB will interpret this to mean that your complaint was satisfactorily resolved...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:49 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
It'd be interesting to see a police department's "Consumer Reports"-style ranking on security companies vs false alarms.

I guess the BBB will interpret this to mean that your complaint was satisfactorily resolved...
And they would be right...technically. But they still suck.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:30 PM   #20
gone traveling

It took a while, but I'm glad this worked out in your favor.
Time wounds all heels?
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote