Pirates

This hardly seems like good deterrence. Certainly far less so than been shot or tried for piracy. While hanging is probably out of the question in today's "civilized" world.

Having worked with the Dutch military, my guess is that they also needed approval from the local VBM/NOV soldier's union to make sure they used approved labor practices.

["Prosecuting detained pirates, that is simply not our business," said Cmdr. Achim Winkler of the EU mission Atalanta, which has nine warships and three maritime patrol planes guarding shipping lanes in the Gulf of Aden.
Apparently, deciding what to do with the pirates is tricky business. There are matters of jurisdiction, paying for court costs, gathering witnesses, Kenyan courts that have years-long backlogs, etc.

I don't think there would be a problem with holding a suspect temporarily (say, 60 days) while we sort out the issues in each case. Put these detainees in a little boat of their own to be towed in the wake of a US warship while she patrols. Individual cages on board a boat maybe 20 feet wide overall and a hundred feet long, with a flat bottom and a shallow draft. Send out food and water every day, make sure everyone is happy. After they've been aboard for 60 days, they get released to Somalia. 9 weeks of that should probably cure them of any yearnings for life at sea for a long while.

Since piracy off the coast of west Africa seems to be a growth industry these days, I' d expect that other criminal organizations would love to horn in on this scam.

A well organized Mafia, for example, could really make a killing attacking ships without the messy possibility that they could be caught and prosecuted. In criminal board rooms all over the world today, they are no doubt discussing this very idea along with PowerPoint presentations, coffee, and pastries.

Back
Top Bottom