Pitch-drop experiment or watching grass grow

hakuna matata

Recycles dryer sheets
Now I am sure this thread will drop quickly as this is some boring stuff--but I found it fascinating!

The Pitch Drop Experiment | School of Mathematics and Physics

and

Pitch drop experiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

First that someone could keep an experiment like that going for so long, but it always amazes me that the things we think of as solids are often not. As an Architect I like it too because it is so sciencey, yet it almost becomes artistic in it's oddness!

Well as I said, not sure anyone else will find it fascinating but I did! And the first link has a 24 hour camera so you can watch the drop fall...eventually! What a way to pass your retirement if you didn't save enough to do something fun!

:D
The class clown in me would love to sneak in there at night and apply some heat to make it drip faster.

The class clown in me would love to sneak in there at night and apply some heat to make it drip faster.

That's what Global Warming is for!

I also thought it was neat. Positive geek test. ;)

-ERD50

IIRC, glass is also a 'liquid' that given enough time (lots and lots), will slowly ooze.

+1 >:D

Yeah, let's make people scratch their head, wondering what the hell happened.

About old glass windows sagging due to glass viscosity, that claim has been refuted. See Is glass liquid or solid?.

Just so others won't have to divert to the links if tey don't find this topic fascinating when they know a little more. From the Wikipedia link:

The pitch drop experiment is a long-term experiment which measures the flow of a piece of pitch over many years. Pitch is the name for any of a number of highly viscous liquids which appear solid, most commonly bitumen. At room temperature, tar pitch flows at a very slow rate, taking several years to form a single drop."

This could actually be done as a pretty cool art piece. With some artfully done glass-work, the fact that it moves would be interesting.

Darn, too late to whip one up as a Christmas present!

-ERD50

Until internet search came along and put me straight, I too thought glass flowed as seen in old window panes.

I recall learning about this "experiment" in an asphalt pavement design class in undergrad. Guess there has been another drop or two since we learned about it way back then.

Back
Top Bottom