Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-28-2009, 04:19 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I bet this is another Natasha Richardson head bump type thing.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2009, 05:53 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if he was taking blood thinners for some reason? My old boss just lost his wife due to what seemed to be a minor fall, but she was on blood thinners due to a heart condition and she bled in the brain. She thought she was fine and waited until the next morning to to go to the emergency room. But she slid into a coma and died a couple of weeks later.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:53 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Don't take those head bumps lightly. My wife was getting a boxed article off of an upper shelf and it slipped and knocked her on the head. She said it hurt but didn't think anymore of it until her vision went blurred. She called me, I took her to her eye doctor who diagnosed it as a torn retina. She had to undergo laser surgery and has had vision problems since due to that retina tear.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:03 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

The only time I ever heard my doctor raise his voice, and I mean loud, and shake his finger at me, was when I got bopped in the head with a slow moving but heavy sailboat boom. It was a glancing blow, not a direct hit TG.
Whew!
I did not go to the hospital because I "felt fine". I could walk and talk and recite Pi to the usual 6 digits.
I used ice for the slight swelling in the dent in my scalp. Head scan the next day (ordered by my very PO'd doctor) was OK. But the headache that followed for a week was horrendous.
I was lucky lucky and even luckier yet. The outcome could have been much worse.
I will never again take any kind of head blow lightly.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:00 PM   #25

Head trauma

Very good advice to get head injuries checked out right away. I was particularly sad when Natasha Richardson died as she was a young wife and mother. I saw one of her films recently, The White Countess....loved it! I think she was a better actress than her mother.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif View Post
Geez, so who is next to bite the bullett?
Steve McQueen? Or was he the first...
Old 06-29-2009, 08:18 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Few people realize how much this man contributed to the world.
Have we forgotten:
We are the Oxiclean World
Oxi Glo, She's My Girl
Old 06-29-2009, 09:16 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

FAA has blamed his death on not wearing a seat belt during landing. After considerable online discussion about that - FAA spokesman now says they never said that. Maybe more to the story.

Moral: Blows to the head should be taken seriously even if you feel fine.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:21 AM   #29

Yes, the FAA has jumped quickly on the "it's not our fault" bandwagon haven't they?
Old 06-29-2009, 10:29 AM   #30

But why would it be the FAA's fault? If there is fault with anyone but the person not wearing the seatbelt (an idea I personally reject), it would be with the airline for not having its flight crew confirming that everyone had their seat belts on. How the FAA would be at fault is beyond me.

Having said that, as long as the passengers were duly told they needed their seat belts fastened, a competent adult should be able to assume the responsibility for their own choice to not comply.

Anyway, it seems like we're jumping the gun until and unless an autopsy confirms head injuries contributed to the death.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:36 AM   #31

Not disagreeing with you, ziggy29, but they did jump on it fast...so fast it was like they were trying to protect the airline for wrongdoing.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:38 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Not disagreeing with you, ziggy29, but they did jump on it fast...so fast it was like they were trying to protect the airline for wrongdoing.
OK -- I can see that. Maybe they were CYA on behalf of the airline, but the FAA itself wouldn't seem to be liable for anything. I don't know that the FAA can be sued anyway.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 06-29-2009, 11:01 AM   #33

The airlines charge for checked bags so more and more folks are putting heavy items in the overhead bins. This slows loading and unloading the plane and takes away from safety. I would be happy if we went back to under seat storage only.

As to Billy, news said autopsy results at 12 eastern. So, then we will know.

Breaking news..... no evidence of head trauma, no history of drug abuse, looks like heart related.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:09 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

As an aside, when/if safety rises in importance, probably the single best way to improve the crash survivability of commercial aircraft would be to reverse the seats (have everyone face the back of the airplane). Unlike a car (where impacts can come from any direction), virtually all crash-related acceleration in an airplane pushes the passengers toward the nose of the plane. Spreading this impact over the large surface of the back and supporting the head/neck with the seatback is a much better solution than holding the pelvis with a thin strap and allowing the body to jacknife forward. This is the way seating is configured on many military passenger aircraft and it works just fine, but I'm sure commercial passengers would object. In a perfect world I'd also further restrict overhead storage, make simple smoke-hoods available for everyone, and mandate that all liferafts be located at the doors or in the wings (on some jetliners a few of the rafts are in the overhead storage area over middle seats and would have to be passed over the heads of the passengers to the door. Does anyone think that's going to work during an actual evacuation?)
Old 06-29-2009, 11:52 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif View Post
Geez, so who is next to bite the bullett?
I guess it's Fred Travalena...

Old 06-29-2009, 12:21 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Has anyone studied the health effects of swirling your naked hand around in a fishbowl full of OxiClean every day?

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:00 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

The autopsy conducted Monday morning revealed Mays suffered from hypertensive heart disease, Adams said.

"It's not uncommon to have a sudden death with this kind of disease," Adams said.

"Heart disease took Billy from us," wife says in statement

TV pitchman Billy Mays had heart disease, coroner says - CNN.com

Looks like the airline is in the clear.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:02 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
Then again, a slick lawyer could try to make the argument that the incident induced a stress that may have triggered his demise.

But I'm sure the airline's own lawyers and bean counters are breathing a bit easier.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:58 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Then again, a slick lawyer could try to make the argument that the incident induced a stress that may have triggered his demise.
Locally 3 years back, the widow of an executive who died from a heart attack tried to sue the company he worked for, saying that stress caused his heart to fail. It didn't go far, as an expert witness described in breathless detail not only the fact that the executive was overweight, but was a smoker for 30 years and had THREE untreated medical problems........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:11 PM   #40

FinanceDude, If this story has the standard ending a Mississippi jury awarded the family $100,000,000!

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote