Join Early Retirement Today

Pitchman Billy Mays Found Dead
Old 06-28-2009, 10:32 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Pitchman Billy Mays Found Dead

According to the Tampa PD, the 50-year-old TV pitchman was found unresponsive by his wife Deborah at 7:45 AM.

Mays had just returned from Philadelphia, where he shot a new OxiClean commercial. He was a passenger aboard a plane that suffered a blown front tire upon landing. He told a local TV station, "All of a sudden as we hit you know it was just the hardest hit, all the things from the ceiling started dropping. It hit me on the head, but I got a hard head."

We're told Mays was at his home around 6:00 PM last night, and according to a source Mays was "acting fine and normal ... he was talking business with his father-in-law."

According to cops, there are no signs of forced entry to the residence and no foul play is suspected.

The Medical Examiner's office is expected to complete the autopsy by tomorrow afternoon.

Billy's wife Deborah just released the following statement:

Although Billy lived a public life, we don't anticipate making any public statements over the next couple of days. Our family asks that you respect our privacy during these difficult times.
Boxkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Makes me glad I'm not a celebrity - they're dropping like flies.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

First Ed McMahon was eclipsed by Farrah, then Farrah by Michael Jackson, and now this! The news will be non-stop Billy Mays now, so much for MJ...next!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is a shame, I was really hoping the "Shamwow" guy would go next.
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:11 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

It's been a terrible week to be famous. Wow. And other than McMahon, all quite young. Mays, like MJ, was only 50. When I was a kid, 50 seemed ancient. It doesn't feel so ancient any more.

Certainly we've been reminded of our mortality of late.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:30 AM   #6

I was just watching that Pitchmen show too.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Shees, another high profile gone.

Lemme see here, I'm not a celebrity, well past 50, guess I'm safe for a while. When the mid sixties celebrities start exiting, maybe then time for concern.

Meantime must make every day count..... in the leisure and life enjoyment departments. Glad to be retired.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:58 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I don't know if I should get in a fetal position, or hop on my motorcycle.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:21 PM   #9

Well, I've learned from Natasha Richardson and now Billy Mays to not take getting klunked in the head by something so lightly anymore...wow...sad.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:21 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I hope that he leaves his beard to a medical museum. It was damn-near perfect.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:25 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

OK , anti embolism stockings and a bike helmet for every flight.

Oh, for those following Walter Cronkite is near death. He is 92.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
This is a shame, I was really hoping the "Shamwow" guy would go next.
That was a cold shot. Here is your boy hip hopped.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:58 PM   #13

Yeah the slap chop guy makes me not want to buy the product
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:08 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

This website will be getting full.......

Dead or Alive? - Search Page
Old 06-28-2009, 01:35 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Well, I've learned from Natasha Richardson and now Billy Mays to not take getting in the head by something so lightly anymore...wow...sad.
Yep. Don't assume it's just a "bump on the head." I don't know if any head injury has been confirmed as a contributory factor in Mays' death but the timing is very suspicious.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

There's a lot that doesn't make sense here. Almost all civilian jets have dual nosewheel tires. As a passenger, you'd hardly notice if one blew. And, if one/both DID blow, it would be more likely to have been the result of, rather than the cause of, an abrupt dropping of the nose. As far as "stuff falling down," that would take one heck of a vertical acceleration to cause the latches and suspension parts on the overhead compartments to fail.

Anyway, there might be a silver lining to all this. US Air (the carrier he was on) is one of the airlines that charge ($15) for the first checked bag. As a result, more people are carrying more and heavier bags into the passenger compartment to avoid the fee. This slows the loading/unloading process and also isn't very safe. I fly US Air often and have noticed the problem getting worse. Maybe Mr Mays's death had nothing at all to do with faling objects, but regardless maybe the issue will bubble to the top and US Air will change this dumb policy.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:48 PM   #17

Geez, so who is next to bite the bullett?
Old 06-28-2009, 02:51 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif View Post
Geez, so who is next to bite the bullett?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
Oh, for those following Walter Cronkite is near death. He is 92.
Could it be Walter?
Old 06-28-2009, 02:53 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I originally thought that Farrah and Michael Jackson were have a secret love affair--and when she died he was overcome with grief and killed himself with drugs. Now I'm wondering if Billy and Michael had a secret gay love affair, and when Michael died, Billy was overcome with grief and did himself in by some mysterious way. Should I start my own tabloid?
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:01 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Here's a link to the Tampa news story that was done immediately after the landing incident. This was apparently quite a big deal, a lot more than just a blown tire. The plane ended up resting on a stub of the nose gear, people were jarred forward into the back of the seat in front of them, etc. Other reports indicate a few of the overhead compartments did open up, and I suppose Mr Mays might have been hit by some stuff falling out of them.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote