Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by human743 View Post
The delivery charge does go to the drivers. Where else would the money come from to pay their wages and mileage? I am glad it is not added to the pickup pizzas that do not have to incur the costs of delivery. I assume people only have a problem with the amount of the fee?

NO!! I have a problem with the fact that I thought that the driver was getting this money and he wasn't . I had been giving the drivers a dollar each time as a tip thinking they were actually getting $3.50. It is very deceptive and after speaking with several other people (neighbors and friends) almost every single one of them who order pizza from Dominoes and Papa Johns assumed that the driver was getting this "delivery charge" and had also been giving only a dollar or even nothing....

I usually get an itch for pizza around midnight so while I actually think that Sam's and Costco has better pizza, due to the time, they are not really an option. I may check out some of the frozen pizzas and see if they are any good and if so keep a pizza or 2 in the freezer.
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If my friend said "don't be so cheap", especially in front of another, I'd feel really bad. Why didn't the friend just chip in a few dollars and discuss the charges over pizza?

JustMeUC, you made an honest mistake. No need to feel bad anymore. The pizza gods will forgive you.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
If my friend said "don't be so cheap", especially in front of another, I'd feel really bad. Why didn't the friend just chip in a few dollars and discuss the charges over pizza?

JustMeUC, you made an honest mistake. No need to feel bad anymore. The pizza gods will forgive you.
She may need to watch out for the delivery gods, though.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:11 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post

Yes, but I still feel badly for the drivers who are just trying to make a living. It's a dangerous job and one that deserves a decent wage. We had a pizza guy here killed not long ago from the store that I order from and I wondered at the time if it was one of the guys who delivered to me

My friend did hand the guy a couple more dollars. We grew up together, I've known him since we were both in diapers... and we can joke around without getting upset, neither of us are the sensitive sort so we probably say things to each other that most people might find offensive. We are more like brother and sister than friends, sometimes we get irritated with each other, but never stay mad with the other long.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
Has anyone else ordered a pizza and not been aware that the drivers don't get the delivery fee? I am betting that I am NOT the only one to assume the delivery fee goes to the drivers and that lots of drivers are getting shorted.
I guess I am surprised that anyone would make such a direct connection, and 'compartmentalize' this to the point that the delivery charge money went directly to the driver.

When I order something with a "Shipping and Handling Fee", I expect that amount to be close to the actual USPS, UPS or FedEx fee or whatever, plus some general overhead cost of doing business to handle an order. But I don't expect them to specifically go to the warehouse, find the guy/gal that filled my order, and hand them that $1.50, or whatever. It's all lumped and averaged, and they pay their employees.

Same with a 'Labor' charge on some repair or service - do I expect that to go directly to the guy/gal that did the work? No, that was paid to the company, and they pay the employee. The company is also paying their portion of FICA, Unemployment, etc. It's not so simple as to say $2.50 goes to the driver.

Unless they handed you two bills - One from Pete's Pizza for $9.99, and a second from Dave's Delivery Service for $2.50, I can't see why you would separate them in your mind.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, but you don't/can't tip your UPS driver. And a shipping and handling fee, well thats a whole nother thing. Plumbers and Electricians get paid an hourly rate, not less than minimum wage, they don't rely on tips.

Delivery drivers do rely on tips, and I assumed that people were not tipping well enough so it was the pizza places way of "forcing" the public to tip so they wouldn't have to pay them a decent wage.

Of the 6 people I spoke to, only one knew that the drivers didn't get this money.

I also assume that when they ad in a 18-20% charge to parties of 6 or more in a restaurant that it goes to the server, I guess in the future I am going to ask.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I guess I am surprised that anyone would make such a direct connection, and 'compartmentalize' this to the point that the delivery charge money went directly to the driver...
-ERD50
No, not directly, but I would assume that the extra charge would apply towards compensation to the driver for the gas and wear and tear on his personal car, and then for some extra pay vs. a counter clerk who does not have to drive.

Then, someone said that this compensation is usually not enough, let alone the guy not getting a tip while having to drive around.

Come to think of it, we rarely eat fast food, and have never ever ordered for home delivery. Good thing we didn't, because we would likely undertip for the service, not knowing how tough it is for these people to make a buck.

I remember seeing somewhere an ad for guys doing home delivery. The requirement was that the driver car had to be a subcompact. It appears that they do not want the driver to get screwed too badly, by losing money on gas for the job.

Man, it's tough for people to make a buck all around the world. Just now, I saw an interview in Bloomberg of a young Greek waitress who dropped out of college to make €500/month (less than $US 700). There's no tipping there either. Her English surely was a lot better than my Greek.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Delivery drivers do rely on tips, ...
Relying on tips or not, I still would not assume that any charge listed by the company would go directly to any specific employee, rather than go into their general operating funds. Tips are different, as those have their own regulations and rules.

In fact, it's probably illegal to do so. As I mentioned with FICA and such, there are accounting issues. I would think the driver might need to be an independent contractor for that to work. Exceptions are probably things like specific EPA fees for tire disposal etc, I think those are spelled out explicitly and have their own regs.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
No, not directly, but I would assume that the extra charge would apply towards compensation to the driver for the gas and wear and tear on his personal car, and then for some extra pay vs. a counter clerk who does not have to drive.

Then, someone said that this compensation is usually not enough, let alone the guy not getting a tip while having to drive around.
I had some hours where I actually made negative money. I would get back to back deliveries at the far end of the delivery area and it would take a full hour just for those 2 deliveries. If I get no tip(which happens too often) then I make $5.25 in wages for the hour plus $2 for the 2 deliveries. That's $7.25 earned before taxes. Those deliveries are 16 miles round trip(each) totaling 32 miles. In city driving lets say I get 16 mpg. That's 2 gallons at $3.80/gal. That's $7.60 in gas and $7.25 in earnings. I actually had to pay to work. I gave notice shortly after the last time that happened. Even in a good shift i'd profit(after gas) $5/hr in tips for a total wage of barely over $10/hr before taxes. Not a very good job and it can be very stressful always going as fast as you can.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, but I still feel badly for the drivers who are just trying to make a living. It's a dangerous job and one that deserves a decent wage. We had a pizza guy here killed not long ago from the store that I order from and I wondered at the time if it was one of the guys who delivered to me

My friend did hand the guy a couple more dollars. We grew up together, I've known him since we were both in diapers... and we can joke around without getting upset, neither of us are the sensitive sort so we probably say things to each other that most people might find offensive. We are more like brother and sister than friends, sometimes we get irritated with each other, but never stay mad with the other long.
Thanks, you are doing a service here educating us on this pizza guy issue. We generally don't have much pizza and I go out to get it because we only eat about 4 slices between us. Got to have room a nice salad ... and for a little desert . If we do order I'll be making sure the tip is a good one.

Sounds like you have an enviable friendship going there.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I usually tip a buck a pizza, although I don't think I have ever ordered just one pizza - in that case I might do $2 as a bare minimum for getting them to show up. Although I have all the major pizza chains either in the neighborhood, across the street from our neighborhood, or within a mile of the neighborhood. Even if I was the only destination on their delivery route, they aren't spending more than about 15 minutes getting to/from my house and giving me the pizza. My $2 works out to an additional hourly rate of $8+/hr in that case. Not unreasonable for unskilled labor, on top of some min wage.

If I lived out in the country somewhere and they had to spend 45 minutes - 1 hr getting to me and back, I'd probably give $5 minimum.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

My 20 year old son calls himself the VP of Culinary Logistics, delivering pizzas for a local shop in the evening while going to college. The prior owners paid $5/hr under the table plus the $2 delivery charge plus he keeps the tips. New ownership pays $8 per hour on the clock plus tips. The shop eliminated the delivery charge for now anyway. He did a little better with the original plan. He averages about $5 per delivery in tip but has received numerous $20 tips too. Pretty rare that he get stiffed but he's really friendly and comes across well.

I used to tip a couple bucks but now seeing how the math works will tip $5 or so.
woodguy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

For those of you pizza fanatics out there (as am I), that posted about making your own pies, I found a website years ago you should check out, the Pizza Making forums:

Pizza Making Forum - Index

They even have sub-forums for New York and Chicago style, and many other styles. Lots of recipes by people trying to recreate famous pizza houses' recipes (Giordano's in Chicago, etc).

Now I'm hungry
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Call me cynical but I would never assume a delivery charge went to the driver.
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:46 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodguy00 View Post
He averages about $5 per delivery in tip but has received numerous $20 tips too. Pretty rare that he get stiffed but he's really friendly and comes across well.

Clearly your son does not deliver to many of our posters!
Old 07-18-2013, 04:50 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
They even have sub-forums for New York and Chicago style, and many other styles. Lots of recipes by people trying to recreate famous pizza houses' recipes (Giordano's in Chicago, etc).
When it first opened, our local Giordano's was doing Restaurant.com coupons. We ate a lot of excellent pizza on the cheap for a year or so until they discontinued the coupons! Now we just go occasionally.

Thanks for the tip on the web site.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:30 AM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Saw a short segment on the national TV news this morning that this sort of "tipping" thing is going on with a lot of restaurants in major cities. I think the news was pointing out that if the "gratuity" is added right on the check and there is another line at the bottom for "additional gratuity", this is just another way to increase the profit to the restaurant and not going into the pockets of the wait staff.

So, I guess this "tipping" is moving into other segments of the business community.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Saw a short segment on the national TV news this morning that this sort of "tipping" thing is going on with a lot of restaurants in major cities. I think the news was pointing out that if the "gratuity" is added right on the check and there is another line at the bottom for "additional gratuity", this is just another way to increase the profit to the restaurant and not going into the pockets of the wait staff.

So, I guess this "tipping" is moving into other segments of the business community.
So are you saying that the gratuity added to the check goes in the restaurateur's pocket and not to the waitstaff? I would take my business elsewhere.

I guess that is one additional question to ask where the gratuity is added to the check - does this go to the waitstaff? I always assumed that it did and the gratuity on the check was to get around the cheapskates who left an inadequate tip.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #39
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I was thinking $2.50 was actually fine, and adding another dollar on was just extra. I figured most people don't even do that. He then told me that he had read the box once as he was eating, and noticed it said the driver does NOT GET THE DELIVERY CHARGE! I then called the "major pizza chain store" to find out the real deal and they told me that no, the driver gets NONE of the delivery charge and only gets mileage, plus tips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicbookgujy View Post
The drivers don't get the $2.50 fee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by human743 View Post
The delivery charge does go to the drivers.
So which is it? Indications seem to be leaning towards "does not go to the drivers".
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
Can't remember last time had p delivered.
Me either. It has been over a decade, maybe 14 years, since I had a pizza delivered. I love pizza but it is just too fattening to have in the house, given my constant battle to lose weight.

The last time I had one delivered, I think it was a little under $8. I gave the delivery man a ten and was done with it. Sounds like times have changed.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote