Join Early Retirement Today

Pizza Delivery Charge
Old 07-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Pizza Delivery Charge

My friend was here visiting at lunch today and I ordered a $9.99 pizza online for us. It has a $2.50 delivery charge already so when the driver got here, I gave him an extra dollar thinking that a $3.50 tip was sufficient. My friend then said, "don't be so cheap" and handed the guy a couple more dollars.

I was thinking $2.50 was actually fine, and adding another dollar on was just extra. I figured most people don't even do that. He then told me that he had read the box once as he was eating, and noticed it said the driver does NOT GET THE DELIVERY CHARGE! I then called the "major pizza chain store" to find out the real deal and they told me that no, the driver gets NONE of the delivery charge and only gets mileage, plus tips. So, even worse, I am assuming like a waitress they would still have to be paying taxes on assumed tips?

I went back to the website and it does say, among all the coupons and codes and would you like to add this or that that the delivery fee does not go to the driver. But in all the time I have ordered I had never noticed it as the website is so cluttered and I would just be trying to order my pizza and check out.

I felt really bad for the drivers, I have ordered pizza at least a dozen times in the past 6 months and only given them a dollar each time since I assumed they were already getting the delivery fee.

Has anyone else ordered a pizza and not been aware that the drivers don't get the delivery fee? I am betting that I am NOT the only one to assume the delivery fee goes to the drivers and that lots of drivers are getting shorted.
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

If the driver doesn't receive the fee who does? Is the $2.50 considered a processing charge, i.e. for the person on the phone to jot down the order and turn it in to the kitchen? What gives?

It's been ages since I've ordered a pizza for delivery. A year or so ago I ordered a pizza online for pickup in the store - no fees were added. Is this delivery charge something new?

So those of you who order take-out please elaborate. Is this an industry trend?
Old 07-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I seem to recall that many years ago (maybe '60s) when pizza delivery was newish, that they charged for delivery (maybe $1). As competition was created, the newer places advertised "free delivery", which meant that there was no delivery charge. This had nothing to do with tipping the delivery guy.

Looks like it has come full circle now. Don't always expect free anything, but always tip the guy that deserves it.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maybe the fee goes to the entity that runs the web site that processes the delivery orders. This seems similar to the various ticketing outfits for events that are out there.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #5

I believe the delivery fee just goes to the store. It is a way to add a fee that consumers don't usually consider when making a purchasing decision, so it's a creative way to raise prices. The side effect that most people assume it's paid to the delivery guy who then reduce the tip doesn't affect the store revenue, so that's a side effect they don't care about.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

I think the charges go toward paying the mileage fees, but delivery guys usually don't make a whole lot of money which is unfortunate. I think they make the sites so complicated in order to detour people from things like this. It'd be nice to know if I needed to give a tip or if it is already factored in, ya know?
Powor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I've got a friend working at PJ's a family members working at PH, and a sibling working at D, all delivery drivers. They get minimum wage + $0.10 per miles driven + tips.

The delivery charge they said was rationalized to them at work as the fee for having the employee out of the store for so long instead of around to help make pizzas, because they could help more customers in store in the time it takes them to get to your place and back.
Arifriekinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

The charge allows them to keep advertising pizzas as $9.99, which will entice more buyers than advertising the pizza as $12.49.

As a separate charge you are less likely to associate it to the cost of the pizza. What you are paying for is the "process" of scheduling your order and the "service" of seeing that a driver gets it to you in a timely fashion. Then you tip him for making it more convenient for you than picking up the pizza itself or making the pizza yourself.

It is just another example of fees added to the product that makes the product seem cheaper, for competitive purposes.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #9

I cant wait until tipping is a way of the past. Why do we tip a baggage handler but not a ticket agent? Why tip a taxi driver but not a bus driver. Pay your employees a fair wage and stop the tipping madness!!
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

The drivers don't get the $2.50 fee.

I usually tip about 10% for my order.

I feel getting ripped off though. On top of the $2.50 delivery charge, they guilt you into paying the driver a tip ...I'm just afraid the driver might spit into my pizza
comicbookgujy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
I cant wait until tipping is a way of the past. Why do we tip a baggage handler but not a ticket agent? Why tip a taxi driver but not a bus driver. Pay your employees a fair wage and stop the tipping madness!!

Yea. I hate tipping and getting a dirty look because I "only" tip 10% or 15% for lousy service. It's like a guilt trip.

Went to Hong Kong for a month and didn't have to tip anyone. It was great. Most resturant or hotel add 10% to your bill so you don't have to worry about the tip now you do here.
comicbookgujy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicbookgujy View Post

Went to Hong Kong for a month and didn't have to tip anyone. It was great. Most resturant or hotel add 10% to your bill so you don't have to worry about the tip now you do here.
Bet the workers never saw the 10%. Someone I know works at an exclusive private country club. For added revenue they sell banquets and weddings to the public. They put an added 18% charge on for gratuity. It goes directly to the house and the wait staff is paid close to minimum wage. Not very ethical if you ask me, but a very common practice.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:46 AM   #13

I buy my pizza at Costco and tip myself. IMHO PJs does not have "better ingredients - better pizza" but I would pick it up myself since it is only a mile away at 30 cents round trip.

Cheers!
Badger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:06 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

The delivery charge is a not so invisible & deceptive profit margin increase.

I have not had the opportunity as we rarely order delivery pizza. With places so close, I rather drive and support the locals. Just me.
Cessna5354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:48 AM   #15

I'm very surprised, and agree with the OP that this is both deceptive and wrong.
None of the pizza places I get delivery from have a delivery charge, so you pay whatever it is (and I order either online or by phone, about equally).
I only order pizza as an occasional treat, so I always tip generously, and the delivery driver is always surprised when I do.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:21 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicbookgujy View Post
The drivers don't get the $2.50 fee.

I usually tip about 10% for my order.

I feel getting ripped off though. On top of the $2.50 delivery charge, they guilt you into paying the driver a tip ...I'm just afraid the driver might spit into my pizza
Most tip'ed workers make $2.13 an hour. Tips are expected to make up the difference toward the minimum wage. If the base salary and tip's don't equal the full minimum wage the employer makes up the difference.

The $2.50 is just another way the company has figured out how to increase profits, like ATM fees, airline baggage fees, etc, etc. Welcome to capitalism

I always give 20% tip. People gotta live.
Kaufmanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #17

Can't remember last time had p delivered. Drive the 1 mile to the locally owned restaurant and pick one up, usually ~$16. I know it's hot and don't have to deal with the delivery charge/tipping confusion. And, it's better pizza than any of the chains as I have judged when it was delivered to workplace for events. Other option is to make it myself on the charcoal cooker. As good as that is, and if my labor was free, I end up buying expensive ingredients ($8 for fresh mozzarella) and spending more than $16 for home made. It is good though, use imported Italian flour for a thin crust.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
Other option is to make it myself on the charcoal cooker. As good as that is, and if my labor was free, I end up buying expensive ingredients ($8 for fresh mozzarella) and spending more than $16 for home made. It is good though, use imported Italian flour for a thin crust.
I could get a baked nacho weighted about 2 lbs for $5.50 at a little hole in the wall mexican taco shop. I thought I could do better at home, with my store bought ingredients, it was good but it was also $20. Back to Nino's.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #19
Confused about dryer sheets

The delivery charge does go to the drivers. Where else would the money come from to pay their wages and mileage? I am glad it is not added to the pickup pizzas that do not have to incur the costs of delivery. I assume people only have a problem with the amount of the fee?

I doubt many delivery drivers get the tipped employee rate. Most of the big chains pay minimum already plus you keep the tips (of which very little to none is reported). Even if they did get the tipped employee rate, employers are requires by federal law to ensure that the employee makes $7.25/hr after tips. If any tipped employee works a pay period and the tips added to his wage do not total $7.25, the employer must make up the difference.

If you know someone making less than $7.25 on average over a pay period, let them know what the law is. But they will have to honestly track and account for all of their tipped income. (And report to IRS)

In my experience (restaurants years ago) many tipped employees have only a rough idea of what they make and it typically is far higher than most want to admit. Its easy come, easy go. It's easy to forget the night you pulled in what would be one weeks pay for the cook when you are looking at a slow night's take.
human743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by human743 View Post

I doubt many delivery drivers get the tipped employee rate. Most of the big chains pay minimum already plus you keep the tips (of which very little to none is reported).
That's not true. At least not around here. When I lost my job I took a part time job delivering pizza at Pizza Hut. I chose Pizza Hut because the drivers get $5.25/hr which is more than any other big chain. That's the same wage I got when I delivered 12 years ago but the tips are down because people think the driver gets the delivery charge. We don't. The mileage we get paid doesn't even cover gas let alone wear and tear. The price of a pizza is the same as it was when I worked before 12+ years ago. The "delivery charge" is just their way of keeping the "sticker price" of a pizza as cheap as possible without going broke. Bottom line is if you're not going to tip your driver, then don't order a pizza or pick it up yourself. I quit the job 7 months ago and they're still looking for a driver because they keep quitting(wonder why?).
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote