Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Places you are considering for retirement
Old 09-09-2005, 03:03 PM   #61

You can check out any hot radiation downwind spots at www.downwinders.org
Helios
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2005, 03:55 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
. . .
SG - I have heard good things about Sedona, AZ., any thoughts?

. . .
Sedona is beautiful. Call someplace beautiful, kiss it goodbye. It has attracted a lot of very affluent people -- the kind of people who fancy themselves to be artists but aren't really. It's run the cost of living up quite a bit. Great place to visit.

Old 09-09-2005, 04:07 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
Was through it last year....bustling...lots of home building. A possible negative - remember there was concern about nuclear fallout - increased cancer rates because SG was downwind from the Nevada test site when they did atmospheric tests. Radiation still in the soil?
After more than 40 years the short halflife stuff is gone and the really long-lived high-energy stuff won't even be detectable.

There's more radioactivity in New England radium-clogged granite or at Denver's altitude than in Utah. But if you were to sojourn in beautiful Hanford, WA I'd steer clear of the salmon...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 04:29 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wildcat, Steve R is right on about St. George.

As much as folks claim that UT is a safe place, it is the only town where I experianced a car break-in while staying at a hotel (and in my former life I was on the road about 15 weeks a year, 26 years.. I had a LOT of exposure).

The canyons are pretty but a visit of a day or two will cover that.*
Old 09-09-2005, 04:40 PM   #65

Utah is simply weird! - I had to join a 'club' to have a drink in a bar in Salt Lake City! - They have the weirdest liquor laws of any place I have ever been. :

This is a perfect example of what happens when you let religion get involved in government!
Old 09-09-2005, 04:50 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliosagain
You can check out any hot radiation downwind spots at www.downwinders.org
Helios
SENATORS INTRODUCE DOWNWINDER LEGISLATION - One of the senators is Mike Crapo. Wonder how he pronounces it... http://tinyurl.com/dn7p2
Old 09-09-2005, 04:53 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Utah is simply weird!* - I had to join a 'club' to have a drink in a bar in Salt Lake City!* - They have the weirdest liquor laws of any place I have ever been. :

This is a perfect example of what happens when you let religion get involved in government!
Amen Brother!

I live it every day!
Old 09-09-2005, 04:54 PM   #68

Quote:
I had to join a 'club' to have a drink in a bar in Salt Lake City! *- They have the weirdest liquor laws of any place I have ever been.
I'm out then
Old 09-09-2005, 05:22 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Utah is simply weird!* - I had to join a 'club' to have a drink in a bar in Salt Lake City!* - They have the weirdest liquor laws of any place I have ever been. :

Cutthroat: Texas has quite a few "dry" counties.

My wife and I (after driving 8 hours), stopped in a Motel in Fort Stockton Texas. I found out the only place was a private club. Membership to the club was $20.00.

Had to drink 5 or 6 beers to dollar cost down the price of membership.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:08 PM   #70

One of my old Dad's friends used to tell how he always carried a flask of whiskey, in case a snake bit him; he also carried a snake, or so he claimed. I wonder if this system would work in UT?
Old 09-09-2005, 11:16 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

I grew up in ABQ from 5th grade through university (1963-1976).* * I still have relatives and friends there.

It has really sprawled out.* Places on the outskirts of town where I used to go dirtbiking are miles and miles inside the houses now.* They are also, from what I've been told, really drawing down the fossil aquifer.* Water is going to be one of the big resource issues in this century, and sooner or later the arid states are going to find they just can't steal enough of it from each other.

I suspect we'll probably stay here in San Francisco, unless once we start traveling a bit we find someplace that we just can't resist.* We both loathe heat (70* in the house sees a formal declaration of heat wave, and the box fan is dragged out) and cold, as well as clammy humidity (funny, three blocks from the ocean and it isn't a problem here, but go to Baltimore or HI or the midwest* . . .).* I've lived in Iowa, OK, LA, TX, NM and north and south CA, and I don't want anything to do with snow.

Yes, the traffic in the Bay Area is getting pretty sucky all weekend long, and you have to know the heavy commute directions and times so you can avoid them as much as possible.* But I don't mind occasionally needing a light sweatshirt in the summer, or occasionally needing a light sweatshirt in the winter.*

Medical facilities are no problem, we've got an adequate public transportation system, and good museums and cultural events.* Last night we went to a club over on the beach and listened (for free) to an assortment of guitarists and drummers trading off playing in an instrumental surf band, and today went to the Tibet exhibit at the Asian Art Museum and then a movie at the Metreon.* We can be in wine country in an hour, and I've got several race tracks I can ride at within a 2.5 hour radius.* My sweetheart does jewelry/lapidary stuff for fun, and the local gem and mineral society clubhouse is literally around the corner from us, as are several nice neighborhood restaurants, Ocean Beach (Nords, you'd like the surfing here, or the Mavericks down the coast a few miles) and Golden Gate Park.* Oh yeah, having no smoking in those restaurants, bars and clubs is REALLY nice.

I sure wouldn't mind not living in a row house, and having more storage/shop space at home would be nice.*

But we've never been the types that have longed to be at the beach/lake/cabin/mountains so there hasn't yet been any "boy, now that we're both FIREd we can finally move to, to, um, where do we want to move to, if we do?" moments.

But if we were to move we'd definitely want to spend some time in all the seasons that the place had.* I'd hate to move to some place that I loved 8 months out of the year, but loathed the other four because the skeeters/black flies/tourists made it unliveable.

cheers,
Michael
Old 09-09-2005, 11:58 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Michael
But if we were to move we'd definitely want to spend some time in all the seasons that the place had. I'd hate to move to some place that I loved 8 months out of the year, but loathed the other four because the skeeters/black flies/tourists made it unliveable.
Not that you need one but if you can afford it, it gives you a good excuse to get away and travel.

MJ
Old 09-10-2005, 12:50 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Michael
Nords, you'd like the surfing here, or the Mavericks down the coast a few miles
Monterey was the best tour we had during our Navy careers. We spent a lot of our time there underwater (SCUBA) and at the Aquarium, and many weekends up north. I like everything about the Bay Area except the traffic & the temperatures...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 01:25 PM   #74

Quote:
(funny, three blocks from the ocean and it isn't a problem here, but go to Baltimore or HI or the midwest . . .).
Funny but when I was in HI people from Cali complained about the humidity there They thought I was crazy when I said it felt great. Just having a breeze when it is humid can make all the difference.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:28 AM   #75
Confused about dryer sheets

Cyprus - mediterranean climate, culture, and food!* Sunshine!!! $150k buys you a 72 square meter apartment with a 35 square meter terrace with a Mediterranean view.* VERY low crime, language is Greek and English, law based on British law.* Gas prices less than US right now.* Low medical costs.* Part of EU.* Cars are right-hand drive.

Only bad thing - Russian tourists.* Oh, and the darned problem with the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:15 PM   #76
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

rms977,

Cyprus caught my eye last year. (I worked with some very pleasant Turkish colleagues at the time.)

What do you think of the Turkish side? I understand that it is cheaper and less crowded. Maybe for a reason?

As a part of the EU, what would be the tax situation for US expat retirees on the Greek side?

By the way, I would personally not consider buying property there (or anywhere outside of the US or Canada--and maybe not even Canada). Too many bear traps for my taste. Simplify, simplify.

Thanks.

Gypsy

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 05:25 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
rms977,

By the way, I would personally not consider buying property there (or anywhere outside of the US or Canada--and maybe not even Canada).* Too many bear traps for my taste.* Simplify, simplify.

Thanks.

Gypsy

And yet more common sense from north of the border.

JG
Old 09-12-2005, 04:24 PM   #78
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I think that Hawaii's "good" outweighs the "not so good", especially the weather & amenities.

Retirement location is such a highly personal situation with so many "right" answers that it's darn near impossible to make your choice by others' recommendations. *You have to make a list and visit the options to make your own decision. *Even then you may not have enough compelling reason to decamp from friends & family...
I too think that Hawaii is a great place to retire. I'm about halfwy to retiring but looking forward to staying and retiring in Hawaii. It could be that the only other place I've lived in was California but the cost of living does not seem as large as most people would believe. I know my grandmother enjoys it here mostly because of the weather and easy access to things (being on a small island means most things are within 15 to 20 minutes of you if not less). Changes in Hawaii weather is enough to trigger some sore bones or arthritis so they can't imagine weather swings elsewhere. You can usually find a happy group of people to hang out with and cheap/free activities (cultural, commercial, or just nature related) as well which helps relax you from a hectic day, or in retirement, live out your days.

Old 09-15-2005, 08:30 AM   #79

One place I definitely will not be:

Scientists were monitoring a slow-growing, 100-square-mile bulge in eastern Oregon that was discovered by satellite. Although the geologic feature is not considered an immediate threat to the area, seismologists seek to determine whether it's the beginnings of a volcano.
Old 09-15-2005, 08:51 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
One place I definitely will not be:

Scientists were monitoring a slow-growing, 100-square-mile bulge in eastern Oregon that was discovered by satellite. Although the geologic feature is not considered an immediate threat to the area, seismologists seek to determine whether it's the beginnings of a volcano.
Yeh, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near there in about a 50,000 or so years.