Join Early Retirement Today

Places you are considering for retirement
Old 09-06-2005, 10:55 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Places you are considering for retirement

Just interested to hear people's ideal location for retirement...whether or not you are going to relocate...reasons you like this area

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Places you are considering for retirement
Old 09-06-2005, 12:22 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If these darn hurricanes keep coming thru I might move up a little. TN is a pretty state. I have relatives in Oak Ridge which is about 20 miles from Knoxville. That's a possibility for me. * Hot Springs, Ark would be nice too.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:33 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Like Dog, JPatrick, and unclemick, lots of retirees and pre-retirees must be reconsidering the Gulf Coast region as a retirement location. Myself, I'm 150 miles inland and think that's about as close as I want to be.

The coast is a great place to visit, but I sure don't want to live there...

REW
Old 09-06-2005, 12:34 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat
Just interested to hear people's ideal location for retirement...whether or not you are going to relocate...reasons you like this area
I think that Hawaii's "good" outweighs the "not so good", especially the weather & amenities.

Retirement location is such a highly personal situation with so many "right" answers that it's darn near impossible to make your choice by others' recommendations. *You have to make a list and visit the options to make your own decision. *Even then you may not have enough compelling reason to decamp from friends & family...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 12:58 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

ok wildcat, I'll give you the two places we think would be ideal and the reasons, although I'm not saying we'd actually retire their.
Hawaii--the Big Island. Wealther, easy lifestyle, fresh fish, fresh vegatables and fresh fruit. Lots of outdoor activities, both on land and sea, all year round. Beautiful natural areas.

Mountains of Tenn/North Carolina, say near Ashville. Great music, milder winters than upper midwest, also good food and lots to do outside. Not too crowded (at least not now) Beautiful natural areas.

Uncledrz
uncledrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 01:14 PM   #6

Currently retired in Ohio this year but thinking seriously about Tn., Chattanooga area. Milder winters and better tax structure for retires as well. Not to mention having an only son living in the area.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:20 PM   #7

Quote:
I think that Hawaii's "good" outweighs the "not so good", especially the weather & amenities.
This is from a tourist's perspective but Hawaii is one of the few places within the US that seems to move to a different beat. *People (like everyone) actually seemed happy * and seemed to enjoy a good work/life balance *

Weather maybe? *I loved it (was there 2 weeks) but I wonder if the island thing would get old. *Met quite a few Cali natives there looking for a not so crowded retirement place.

Quote:
Retirement location is such a highly personal situation with so many "right" answers that it's darn near impossible to make your choice by others' recommendations. *You have to make a list and visit the options to make your own decision. *Even then you may not have enough compelling reason to decamp from friends & family...
Very true Nords
Old 09-06-2005, 01:35 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think I will probably stay put, and maybe move right down into Seattle or Bellevue after I get older.

The only other serious possibility is eastern WA. Many parts across the mountains are much sunnier than where I am. I have lived out there before, and overall liked it a lot. Way less crowded, way less PC than over here on the West Side. Sagebrush and pines instead of Douglas fir and Red Cedar

I'd have to replace salsa with cowboy 2-step, and that could be a stretch.

Both my kids live in King County. I am close to both of them, and don't want to get very far away. If they leave, I would reconsider. Same consideration applies with my wife. She lives in King County, she would not leave, and that relationship though somewhat more complicated is nevertheless very important to me.

Ha
Old 09-06-2005, 01:42 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
This is from a tourist's perspective but Hawaii is one of the few places within the US that seems to move to a different beat. *People (like everyone) actually seemed happy * and seemed to enjoy a good work/life balance *

Weather maybe? *I loved it (was there 2 weeks) but I wonder if the island thing would get old. *Met quite a few Cali natives there looking for a not so crowded retirement place.

Very true Nords
Not everyone is delerious with happiness-- Hawaii does have a lot of problems-- but I think there is a more realistic life/work balance here. Of course the flip side is many complaints that the schools & businesses don't take things seriously enough.

"Rock fever" hasn't affected us (must be a submarine thing) but it does bother people. It can be tough to commute to the Mainland to see your grandkids (we're not in that situation either). And some people, God help 'em, miss the change of seasons and the ability to drive long distances in straight lines.

But those CA people might be part of the 20% of the homeowners on Kauai & Maui who think they've found something.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 03:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa

The only other serious possibility is eastern WA. Many parts across the mountains are much sunnier than where I am. I have lived out there before, and overall liked it a lot. Way less crowded, way less PC than over here on the West Side.
Ha
We are of like mind.* Also King Co residence.* We bought a house for daughter for her time at WSU.* From our multiple visits for the "duration" we have found the Pullman/Moscow corridor increasingly attractive.* Lots of upgrades on both campuses, only an 1.5 hrs from Spokane whose airport you can still arrive at less than an hour and make a flight.
Pretty decent shopping choices in the area now including a super Wallys going into Pullman.* True 4 season weather but generally cooler in summer and warmer in the winter than most of the surrounding area.
Housing costs are very attractive compared to our local real estate craziness.
Check it out.
nwsteve
nwsteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 03:16 PM   #11

Minnesota ! - Mostly because the Rif-Raf don't want to be here and it still is a Liberal Bastion! 8)

I'm not gonna pull any punches on the Winter, however. December, January and February are no Picnic, but far better than a hurricane in the south!
Old 09-06-2005, 03:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Minnesota ! - Mostly because the Rif-Raf don't want to be here and it still is a Liberal Bastion! 8)

I'm not gonna pull any punches on the Winter, however. December, January and February are no Picnic, but far better than a hurricane in the south!
You screwed up "Rif-Raf" (CHP?)
Obviously I choose Texas. I wasn't born there but I got there as
quick as I could.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 03:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat

You know, it is a "liberal bastion". When I take over I may just nuke
the whole state. I will save Jesse V. and his family first (maybe Martha).
Otherwise, I can't see that the people of Minnesota are serving any
useful purpose.

JG
Old 09-06-2005, 03:52 PM   #14

Whatever you do, don't come to Arizona. I've lived here for 17 years. I moved away once for a little while and had to come back. So trust me, I know. You don't want to come to Arizona. Don't believe anything good you hear about it. Stay away. We have rattlesnakes and scorpions and cactus. The desert is ugly and brown and you can't get enough water to drink. The desert is hot and the mountains are cold. The Grand Canyon is just a big hole in the ground. Over 1/3 of the state is unpopulated Federal and State land that can't be developed. It's too close to Mexico. Stay away. You would be much better off to move next door to John Galt in Texas or take a submarine to Hawaii and live with Nords.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 03:59 PM   #15

jeeez -- first a geezer with a gun; now, a geezer with a nuke . . .
Old 09-06-2005, 04:12 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ((^+^)) SG
Whatever you do, don't come to Arizona.* I've lived here for 17 years.* I moved away once for a little while and had to come back.* So trust me, I know.* You don't want to come to Arizona.* Don't believe anything good you hear about it.* Stay away.* We have rattlesnakes and scorpions and cactus.* The desert is ugly and brown and you can't get enough water to drink.* The desert is hot and the mountains are cold.* The Grand Canyon is just a big hole in the ground.* Over 1/3 of the state is unpopulated Federal and State land that can't be developed.* It's too close to Mexico.* Stay away.* You would be much better off to move next door to John Galt in Texas or take a submarine to Hawaii and live with Nords.* *
All of that is true from the time I've spent in Arizona. But you do have professional baseball, and NFL football. Whoops, Diamondbacks, and Cardinals.

Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 04:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ((^+^)) SG
Whatever you do, don't come to Arizona.* I've lived here for 17 years.* I moved away once for a little while and had to come back.* So trust me, I know.* You don't want to come to Arizona.* Don't believe anything good you hear about it.* Stay away.* We have rattlesnakes and scorpions and cactus.* The desert is ugly and brown and you can't get enough water to drink.* The desert is hot and the mountains are cold.* The Grand Canyon is just a big hole in the ground.* Over 1/3 of the state is unpopulated Federal and State land that can't be developed.* It's too close to Mexico.* Stay away.* You would be much better off to move next door to John Galt in Texas or take a submarine to Hawaii and live with Nords.* *
Yup, no need to try that child psychology on me either.* I've been there and everything you say is right on
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 04:17 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne
Currently retired in Ohio this year but thinking seriously about Tn., Chattanooga area.* Milder winters and better tax structure for retires as well.* Not to mention having an only son living in the area.
I used to live in Chattanooga. *My mother still does and my bother is in Clinton, TN, just outside of Oak Ridge. *I moved away for job reasons several years ago but do get back there a couple times a year. *I have thought about going back but my kids and wife's kids and grandkids all live here so we will stick it out for a few more years and then see where we want to go. *Her family is in central CA but I have no desire to live there. *I have been in the tropics and enjoyed it as well as northern IL, PA, TX, NC and a few other places. *We like it here for now. *Saw a mountain lion yesterday at the cabin. *First one I have ever seen in the wild. *No camera handy but I will remember for a long time. *

Maybe we will do a partial retirement at the cabin and then "visit" the house when the snow gets too deep. *

Old 09-06-2005, 04:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

But those CA people might be part of the 20% of the homeowners on Kauai & Maui who think they've found something.
Hey Nords: More out of curiosity than for any practical reason, but I've wondered about the "golf" situation for locals in Hawaii.

The folks I know that go to Hawaii during the Dec. and Jan. time frame, and are golfers usually stay in resorts, and don't object (they're only there for a week or two), paying $100.00 and higher green fees.

How about the locals that live there? Do they have enough "public" golf courses that are inexpensive enough not to derail a retirement for an individual that is golf obsessed?

You may answer at your leisure.

Jarhead

Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 05:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogart
jeeez -- first a geezer with a gun; now, a geezer with a nuke . . .
Yeah, a liberal's worst nightmare

JG