Planning your last day

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This would be fun to take to work on your last day..Parting gift for co-workers... :LOL: although co-workers probably wouldn't appreciate...

Attachments

• mhT141X.jpg
    mhT141X.jpg
    557.7 KB · Views: 55
I wouldn't eat the cookies.........

LOL! It'd be so uncharacteristic of me but the following line may be : "Sorry if I am too busy to stay in touch :blush:."

I left a note over my desk that said " Don't drink the Koolaid".

I had originally planned to show up for an hour or two on my last day, then go home. But a few days prior, I got wind of the boss planning a retirement party for me. So, within a few minutes of finding that out, I decided to leave right then. I walked into the boss's office, handed in my keys and turned to leave. He told me about the party scheduled for a few days later, and I told him that I hoped that he and my co-workers would have a good time at it. He seemed to be surprised when I informed him that I'd be a "no show".

With absolutely no regrets, I left and never looked back. :greetings10:

I left a note over my desk that said " Don't drink the Koolaid".

One of my former colleagues jokingly said this very same phrase several months ago, which was overheard by a coworker who immediately went to our manager and reported her for insubordination. The manager went to the director, and then to HR. Suddenly, this coworker was written up, had to write an action plan to correct her poor behavior, and was under constant surveillance. She resigned about a month later. It was horrible to watch the whole thing play out. The fallout has been devastating to the entire department as far as poor morale and job security/satisfaction.

On the plus side, it was the deciding factor that made me realize I didn't want anything to do with this toxic company. My OMY planning turned into "get me the hell outta here"...retiring December 31st. WooHoo!!!

One of my former colleagues jokingly said this very same phrase several months ago, which was overheard by a coworker who immediately went to our manager and reported her for insubordination. The manager went to the director, and then to HR. Suddenly, this coworker was written up, had to write an action plan to correct her poor behavior, and was under constant surveillance. She resigned about a month later. It was horrible to watch the whole thing play out. The fallout has been devastating to the entire department as far as poor morale and job security/satisfaction.

When I was 18 I unloaded trucks after high school and before college. The store where I worked, Woodward & Lothrop was a sort of upscale department store chain in the Washington, DC area.

I learned an important lesson there - that the people you work with can make or break a job. Never before or since have I worked in an environment similar to that described by WestcoastRN, that was so petty, vindictive, childish, and simply stupid. At the time I thought it must have been a gross exception.

How sad that it was not.

Music for the last day? So long farewell from sound of music? Johnny paycheck take this job and shove it? Others?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Music for the last day? So long farewell from sound of music? Johnny paycheck take this job and shove it? Others?

Frank Sinatra's "My Way"

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I have mentioned a few times before that the first words I yelled out after I entered my apartment at the end of my last day were, "I'm Free!!" That's the title of a popular song by someone whose name escapes me but a youtube link of that song was posted in response to my post. Seems appropriate.

I've liked where I have been for the last nine years. Everyone has been nice to me. Management is better than most although I see what was a smallish company transitioning into Megacorp. I intend to go out in as positive a manner as possible. Resignation day is 5 Jan 2015. I'm flexible on the transition time (within reason) and intend to show up for the traditional Mexican lunch for the whole department.

I guess it's a "give what you've been given" kind of day.

My last two days entailed a party that I threw for my staff and people who were important to me at megacorp. The next day there was a short afternoon cake and beer/wine celebration.

Then a plane flight from LA where I was based to Denver where I lived. Over the last fifteen years this was the case and I would commute 2-3 times a month. I would take the same flight home every Thursday and got to know a number of the flight attendants, gate staff and even a few pilots. We did some math that day and figured that between going and coming I made that flight almost 900 times.

The flight attendants gave me a bottle of their finest champagne (?) and we had a toast in first class to celebrate the last flight. It wasn't until we had landed and I got off that plane for the last time that it really hit me that this was it.

I have mentioned a few times before that the first words I yelled out after I entered my apartment at the end of my last day were, "I'm Free!!" That's the title of a popular song by someone whose name escapes me but a youtube link of that song was posted in response to my post. Seems appropriate.

The Who?

The plan for my last day involves a Hooter's calendar girl, followed by a massive coronary.

Oh, you meant last day of w*rk...

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

My last day physically at work was a Friday. I had a very long list of signoffs to accomplish because I was a contracts manager (govt R&D), a laboratory manager (equipment inventory, laser safety, hand receipt transfer, key turn in) and had to be debriefed thru security. Plus sign off at the tech library. It took me all day.

So I asked my closest co-worker friends to just show up at the Chinese buffet place on Wednesday prior for a relaxed, no speech affair. I asked everyone to skip the gifts, but if they absolutely had to buy something, I liked dark chocolate. I did well. :cool:

As far as my last day on the planet, the list is way too long and definitely against many,
if not all, forum rules to post here.

Giggling... ;)

Last edited:
I'm tempted to announce my retirement to my coworkers with an email that says "Master has given Dobby a sock".

I'm tempted to announce my retirement to my coworkers with an email that says "Master has given Dobby a sock".

Perfect! :)

Anti-climatic Final Day

My final day is about 18 months from now and I have recently begun thinking about what that day will be like. Unfortunately, it will be kind of sad. I am a school principal and my contract will end on June 30. There will be no kids, no faculty or support staff. Just myself and the custodians on that final day. No one to say "good bye" to.
However, by that time, with the way things are going in public education, I might just be so glad that I won't care what the final day is like- only that there is one!

I can't help it. Every time I read the title of this thread, I misunderstand it (probably because I am already retired).

Anyway, if I was to plan my last day, it would start early in the morning with very strong coffee, along with waffles drenched in coconut syrup and a substantial side plate of crispy bacon. Then, body surfing for a while on a sunny, sandy beach, hugging a puppy, maybe reading some poetry.... :D

I can't help it. Every time I read the title of this thread, I misunderstand it (probably because I am already retired). D

Me too! Sudden, no warning, complete, would be my formula.

Now returning you to the less macabre part of the thread ...

My totally incompetent boss put the wrong date down on the paperwork for my retirement. So, I could not get into the building. I left for a long lunch. All my turnover documents were destroyed when my email account was erased so I stayed one extra hour to say goodbye and then left. So, all my plans for an organized turnover went out the window.

Last edited:
My totally incompetent boss put the wrong date down on the paperwork for my retirement. So, I could not get into the building. I left for a long lunch. All my turnover documents were destroyed when my email account was erased so I stayed one extra hour to say goodbye and then left. So, all my plans for an organized turnover went out the window.

This may be one of the best "last day of work" stories ever. It would certainly make it easier to leave and not look back. Congratulations.

Stated several times elsewhere, I announced my retirement the Friday before Labor Day. My last day on site was the next Friday, though my actual retirement date was end of the month (way more than 2 week notice - told them to call me if questions - about my retirement, that is.) Anyway, I left my office clean and neat, files properly labeled and purged where appropriate, computer wiped of any personal stuff, (except my screen-saver saying "Those who think in inches and talk by yards should be kicked by feet".)

My parting gift was to leave all of my Hawaii posters and pictures still taped to the office carrels and neatly push-pinned to the cubicle divider cloth. I figured I wouldn't need them anymore and my cow*rkers might as well enjoy them in my permanent absence. At the time, we were in full "Last one out, turn off the lights" mode. So, I'm pretty certain those pictures were there when they finally figured out what they wanted to do with the office and attached lab space. (Actually they sold it all a few years later - always figured the "new guys" either loved or hated the motif - It's the romantic in me.)

I felt lucky that, at the department level (and even for the most part, the division level) I got along with most of the folks with which I interacted. My main reason for calling it quits was that I didn't wish to move to a new assignment - one for which I was not particularly qualified and one with absolutely no rewards (other than being "allowed" to keep w*rking.) My OMY syndrome was more or less instantly "cured" in my head and in my heart. It was the best thing that ever came my way at Megacorp.

I do still keep in touch with 2 people of the (literally) hundreds of folks I got to know there. Sad in its own way, I suppose. Still I left with very few regrets and I left on my terms and on good terms with everyone. If anyone there even remembers my name, I could care less if they thought I was a good w*rker, major achiever or all around good "company man." If half a dozen folks remembered that I always tried to get along and not push my way to the front, I would be most happy.

Wow! This brought back way more feeling than I thought I still had. Go figure!

Of course, YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom