Join Early Retirement Today

Plans for First Week of Retirement
Old 11-26-2007, 06:51 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Plans for First Week of Retirement

I have developed a detailed plan for my first week of retirement. See attached.

Purron
Attached Images
File Type: gif Nap.gif (33.5 KB, 10 views)
Purron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2007, 07:13 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Enjoy the snooze!

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:35 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

One of my greatest wishes in life has always been to be able to sleep like a CAT! I am still practicing........much more since I RE'ed.
2fer
Old 11-26-2007, 10:14 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Now that I've been sleeping in a little later in the mornings, I've been missing out on my afternoon siestas.

I guess I just need to buckle down and apply myself!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:30 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I remember waking up in the middle of the night during my first week free and wondering what state I was in. Then I remembered that I was at home and would not have to travel anymore for work. Big smile and right back to sleep!

Enjoy!
Old 11-26-2007, 10:50 AM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Not only the quantity of sleep increases, but also the quality. Stressed sleep is not the truly good sleep.

No more tooth grinding or dreams of stressful situations or waking up a 3AM with solutions to computer problems...

Quote:
Macbeth: 2.2 (p. 57): "Methought I heard a voice cry 'Sleep no more! Macbeth does murder sleep' -- the innocent sleep, /Sleep that knits up the raveled sleave of care, /The death of each day's life, sore labor's bath, Balm of hurt minds, great nature's second course,/ Chief nourisher in life's feast."
The most terrible curse: "Macbeth shall sleep no more."
Old 11-26-2007, 12:42 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

DW and I will retire July 1. We understand that DC will be celebrating our independence with fireworks on July 4 so we feel obligated to attend. Of course, we expect to sleep quite well after the celebration.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Not only the quantity of sleep increases, but also the quality. Stressed sleep is not the truly good sleep.

No more tooth grinding or dreams of stressful situations or waking up a 3AM with solutions to computer problems..
of all that i only had the tooth grinding but it was bad enough to send me to the periodondist. huge difference when i quit working. and it subsided even more after mom died so that i was no longer dealing with alzheimer's and watching it take her away.

for a while i was waking up most days with a very painful headache from clenching my teeth in my sleep. now, hardly ever. don't even need the bite guard anymore. nice.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:34 PM   #9

I may be wrong, but I don't think I'll sleep a whole lot more than I do now. On a normal night I sleep, or at least am in bed trying to sleep about 6.5 to 7 hours. Even on non-work nights I still sleep about the same amount and automatically wake up by around 6 a m or so. My wife can sleep (and does) several extra hours on the weekends, but I honestly feel like I'm wasting my life if I sleep late. There's too much for me to see and do out in the world to spend my time unconscious. I figure my life's probably about 2/3 over unless I get hit by a bus, and I don't want to sleep through a minute of it! I can't wait to retire in 5 years, 1 month so I can spend every day seeing, doing and experiencing something new, no matter how small. Lots of places I wanna visit and fish I wanna catch etc. Can't do that from between the sheets! I figure there'll come a day when I actually can't get around so good anymore, and then I'll maybe catch a few extra winks. Time's too short, and the big sleep will get here soon enough.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:55 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote From martyb, ( I can't get the quote thingy to work)
"I figure there'll come a day when I actually can't get around so good anymore, and then I'll maybe catch a few extra winks. Time's too short, and the big sleep will get here soon enough."

My brother calls that sleep :THE LONG DIRT NAP"
Kind of morbid but he is after still a BROTHER and so entitled to say these things......
2fer