Join Early Retirement Today

Plasma Or Lcd?
Old 04-15-2008, 10:50 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Plasma Or Lcd?

Hey guys,
I was wondering if i can please get an input from someone about flat screens. i'm interested in buying one, and i have no idea as to which technology is better. any recommendation will be appreciated, thanks.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieb View Post
i have no idea as to which technology is better. any recommendation will be appreciated, thanks.
As I mentioned in an earlier (similar) thread, the two best (if not the only) sources for information on television sets are:

TV Reviews: LCD, HDTV, Flat Screen & Plasma Televisions & more - CNET

and this subscription site

ConsumerReports.org - Televisions: LCD, Plasma, HDTV

Old 04-15-2008, 12:11 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maserati or Lamborghini?

What a great LBYM thread!
Old 04-15-2008, 12:19 PM   #4
Administrator

I have a 42" plasma TV, LBYM or not, and it was worth every penny to me! Sometimes you just gotta splurge on something big to give you the heart to pinch the rest of those pennies until they squeak.

To the OP, I would also suggest going someplace like Circuit City so that you can actually see and compare the TV you are interested in, with others. They may not have the same settings as one another, but still it is pretty easy to see which ones are fabulous and which ones aren't. You probably want to get one with a picture that you really, really like (at least, I did).

By the way, the CNET review of my TV was right on the money, both on positive and negative aspects. They said the remote was non-intuitive, and they were right - - it is kind of a pain in the neck. That was really all they could find wrong with it, though, and I haven't found any other problems with it either. Although I really like Consumer Reports, they didn't get around to rating my TV until several months after I bought it.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:21 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
What a great LBYM thread!
Almost as good as this one: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...lot-33902.html

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:33 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

50" plasma, and I love it.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

Both types of tvs today are great, but if I was in the market for a new one, it would be plasma. They consume slightly more power and are a tad heavier, but the wider viewing angle and more true black give it the edge--at least for anything 40+ inches that is being used as a primary tv.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:02 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Like Want2retire, I have a 42" plasma TV. I love it. But I must confess that I did not really dig too deeply into the whole plasma/LCD debate when I purchased it. Upon walking into the store I found that I liked the picture better on a Plasma TV than on a LCD TV. Somehow it looked sharper and more vibrant (I don't know if this is backed up by actual facts, but that's how it appeared to me, which is all what mattered). I just made sure to choose a brand I trust (Panasonic), and that it was on sale and voila...

The funny thing is that our 42" TV now looks kinda small! I guess we got used to it and it doesn't feel like a large screen anymore! I wonder how we lived with a 20" TV for so many years! Aaaaahhhh, we're getting spoiled...
Old 04-15-2008, 01:15 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Plasma displays currently offer better overall picture quality than LCDs. Plasmas have superior viewing angles, brightness uniformity, better black levels and shadow detail.

The one area where LCDs excel is in overall brightness. This can be importantant if you typically watch TV during the daytime in a brightly lit room. However, in my opinion, for the typical home viewing environment, plasma displays are plenty bright and generally a better choice. Also, for displays larger than 40", plasmas tend to be less expensive. We have both types of displays, with our main display being a 50" plasma. Currently, the two best plasma display manufacturers are Panasonic and Pioneer, with Pioneer having the best overall picture quality and also being more expensive.

You can do a lot more research on LCDs and Plasmas here: AVS Display forum
Old 04-15-2008, 01:31 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
The funny thing is that our 42" TV now looks kinda small! I guess we got used to it and it doesn't feel like a large screen anymore! I wonder how we lived with a 20" TV for so many years! Aaaaahhhh, we're getting spoiled...
I feel the same way! I am planning to get a bigger TV at some point, maybe one of those 60" Toshibas. The older I get, and the worse my vision gets due to age, the bigger I want my TV to be and the less I care about resolution.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-15-2008, 01:34 PM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWino View Post
The one area where LCDs excel is in overall brightness. This can be importantant if you typically watch TV during the daytime in a brightly lit room. However, in my opinion, for the typical home viewing environment, plasma displays are plenty bright and generally a better choice.
My plasma TV came with a power swivel base. All I have to do is hit an arrow on the remote, and it magically swivels to the right or left as desired. This could be helpful for turning it against the sunlight if it was hard to see in the daytime, but I have never felt the desire to use it for that. I just use it when I decide to sit in another part of the room.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-15-2008, 05:35 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a 40" (and a 32") Sony Bravia LCD, and I love them both. Plasma was the best picture and may still be, but LCD's have closed the gap and continue to do so. LCD's are lighter, use less power, can be used as PC monitors (not sure if plasma's can). As I recall, LCD's are a better cost effective choice from about 42" and smaller and plasma's are a better cost choice for larger sizes. But do your research as suggested. If you're going to watch sports or other fast moving programming, check refresh rates too. Some of them blur like mad and you can't tell in the store if they're showing some slow moving graphics. Good luck...

Note: I assume you have (or will have) HD programming. I wouldn't buy any large TV if it wasn't HD anymore. No reply necessary...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 06:14 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Midpack,
Good point on the motion handling and blur. Historically, plasmas have handled motion much better than LCDs, however, LCD manufacturers have made significant improvements in recent years. As for LCD displays, I think Sony makes the best, albeit the most expensive.

Unfortunately, the worst place to evaluate and compare displays is at big box retailers. They typically use the manufacturer's default settings, which are set for maximum brightness with garish color to attract attention. Once you get the display home and view it over an extended period, you soon realize that these same settings look terrible.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:49 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'll bet you can get a good deal on a 19" CRT these days.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:28 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
I'll bet you can get a good deal on a 19" CRT these days.

I have a 19" Trinitron that I can't even pay to get rid of
Old 04-15-2008, 08:19 PM   #16

I still don't get it, pay 2 or 3K for a TV?? Huh??

Why? You are told HDTV is the next best thing since white bread. But quite frankly, a 19 inch color TV works just fine. Do you really need to see the zits on a talking heads face??

Again the sheeple are told what to buy and are hoodwinked into thinking they just gotta have it.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888 View Post

Why? You are told HDTV is the next best thing since white bread. But quite frankly, a 19 inch color TV works just fine. Do you really need to see the zits on a talking heads face??

Again the sheeple are told what to buy and are hoodwinked into thinking they just gotta have it.
Sounds like you are ready for Venezuela Newguy!
Old 04-15-2008, 08:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Sounds like you are ready for Venezuela Newguy!

Did you see 60 mins sunday about the poor kids in venezuela playing classical music? It really was interesting. Hey I like it here in the states, fun to watch the show. Stuff like 3.40.9 gasoline and 23 cars lined up at a bojangles drive through waiting for a biscuit and coffee! Pretty stupid if ya ask me.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Did you see 60 mins sunday about the poor kids in venezuela playing classical music? It really was interesting. Hey I like it here in the states, fun to watch the show. Stuff like 3.40.9 gasoline and 23 cars lined up at a bojangles drive through waiting for a biscuit and coffee! Pretty stupid if ya ask me.
Ya but they dont have 49 incher plasma tv's buddy!
Old 04-15-2008, 09:02 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Well, for us, it's simply more enjoyable to watch movies on DVD on a screen that looks bigger than a postage stamp from 12 feet away. We rarely go to the movies, maybe once a year. We prefer to make a list of the movies that interest us and then rent them on DVD later. Much cheaper, and we can pause to go to the kitchen or bathroom, and there are no annoying people talking or eating loudly (other than ourselves).