Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-04-2010, 08:02 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You could do that - or spring for some of that indoor plumbing everyone is raving about...
I have a hole cut in the bathroom floor. Does the job.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2010, 11:02 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I have a hole cut in the bathroom floor. Does the job.
I sure hope that's a ground-floor bathroom...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:40 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I sure hope that's a ground-floor bathroom...
And not on a slab.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:43 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You could do that - or spring for some of that indoor plumbing everyone is raving about...
You could combine that plumbing project with a slightly used big screen TV...

Old 11-08-2010, 06:10 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

If you decide to go the LCD route, I would pay a bit more for the LED. They are thinner, lighter, more efficient and have a better picture than a LCD.

We just purchased the Samsung 40" LED and really enjoy it. We also have a couple of older Vizio LCD's and have not given us any problems.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:06 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Is LED different than backlit LCD?
Old 11-08-2010, 08:52 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Is LED different than backlit LCD?
Only in the backlight used, which is LED. (It is, actually, a backlit LCD, but it would be confusing to refer to it that way.)
Old 11-30-2010, 06:14 PM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

And the winner is...............
Toshiba 55UX600U 55-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LED HDTV with Net TV (Black Gloss)
$1199, free delivery. Hubby is in heaven. Thanks for all of your feedback.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:00 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
Woo hoo, sounds like a great choice! Enjoy
Old 11-30-2010, 08:01 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
Congrats! I went back and forth on LCD vs plasma recently, too, and ended up with a set very similar in spec to yours. Hooray for Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals!
Old 12-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #51

Scored a 58" Panasonic Plasma for $1199 and a 42" Panasonic Plasma for $599 day after Christmas (BB matches competitor's advertized prices - found both listed by a place known for their factory refurbs - with the actual model # listed!)...bought the cables & stuff for CHEAP from Amazon for more savings. Neither was a floor model or out of the box. Researched & surveyed others for the past couple months, so we knew what we were looking for. The biggie is scheduled for (free) delivery tomorrow! These were our 2010 luxury purchases!
Old 02-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #52
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
I love Samsung. I love plasma. In the last 3 years, I've had Samsung plasmas pn50a450 (720p), pn42b450 (720p), pn58c8000 (1080p, 3D). All great sets, because they have very good color, and have lots of user controls so you can adjust them yourself (avoiding a professional calibration).
I just bought the Samsung pn58c8000 (1080p, 3D, 58" plasma HDTV). It's the end of the model year so I got a barely used demo for a somewhat reduced price. I am so glad to hear that you like yours!

After reading this thread and researching online, I had originally planned to get the Panasonic. However Best Buy couldn't find the stand for that one (which was also a demo and wall mounted). So, the salesman sold me the Samsung which cost less anyway. It will be delivered tomorrow. At last, I think I will have defeated the vision problems resulting from my aging eyes!! At least for now.

And see, REW? (I know you're reading this. I just know it. ) We old geezers and geezerettes can get into new technology like 3D HDTV's too. Well, I might get into that feature, anyway, although I'm not entirely sure whether or not I will actually use that capability. Mostly I'm excited by the SIZE of it and the beautiful picture. And the SIZE....

F. helped me move all of my furniture around in preparation for it. For a temporary TV stand I'm going to use a rock solid, very heavy antique oak dining table (weighs a ton, but wouldn't budge with an entire football team jumping on it). So, we moved that table from the dining room into the den for the time being. As long as we were doing that, we moved all the furniture in the den around. Then once I choose the right home entertainment furniture, he can help me move the heavy oak table back and transfer the TV. I'm so lucky to know him.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I just bought the Samsung pn58c8000 (1080p, 3D, 58" plasma HDTV). It's the end of the model year so I got a barely used demo for a somewhat reduced price. I am so glad to hear that you like yours!
I do. After 9 months, it looks as good as ever. I find I don't use 3D anymore, though I'm not against it --- it just seems too much trouble to switch the TV into 3D mode, and find the glasses and make sure they're charged up. When the Discovery 3D channel comes on line, maybe I'll get back to it.

Here's a suggestion about adjusting the set's picture controls. Use "Relax" mode, and adjust the main Contrast etc. options to taste. Your best-looking values will differ, but I have mine set to Cell Light : 16, Contrast : 80, Brightness : 50, Color : 26, Picture Options : Color Tone : Warm1.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #54
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
I do. After 9 months, it looks as good as ever. I find I don't use 3D anymore, though I'm not against it --- it just seems too much trouble to switch the TV into 3D mode, and find the glasses and make sure they're charged up. When the Discovery 3D channel comes on line, maybe I'll get back to it.

Here's a suggestion about adjusting the set's picture controls. Use "Relax" mode, and adjust the main Contrast etc. options to taste. Your best-looking values will differ, but I have mine set to Cell Light : 16, Contrast : 80, Brightness : 50, Color : 26, Picture Options : Color Tone : Warm1.
Thanks, Greg! I'll try it. It was delivered this afternoon, and I have been familiarizing myself with the controls and enjoying the terrific picture. It almost seems like 3-D, when it is in 2-D and watching a 2-D show, probably due to the great colors. I am very happy with it so far.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote