Platform beds?

Sarah S

Recycles dryer sheets
I need a new bed and the ones that meet my needs are all platform. I have never had anything other than the old fashioned box spring and mattress ( except when travelling then whatever hotels have). I like a fairly firm mattress

For those of you who made a switch was it difficult to get used to?

Thanks in advance

Both of our beds are memory foam on top of a box platform which fits on a regular bed frame.
I love memory foam and they are best used without a box spring.

I went to a memory foam mattress 2-3 years ago and took the opportunity to get an adjustable bed platform. I don't think I'm sleeping any better but I love being able to sit up more for reading, watching TV, or to elevate my head if I have a cold.

My memory foam mattress is a few years old and still quite firm. The worst part was the initial chemical smell, which took several weeks to dissipate, not several days as advertised.

I have one with a memory foam mattress. It's a "slat bed" which are popular in Europe, horizontal wooden slats with a halfway stiffener on a queen frame.

Very comfy.

The box spring for most mattresses is nothing more than a solid platform for the mattress to sit on so if you use a platform bed you usually don't need the box spring. I've had a platform bed for years and have had latex foam and hybrid coil mattresses on it without a box spring and no issues at all.

Thanks everyone. Zinger I do have a true box spring. The set is quite old because most of its life was spent in a seldom used guest room. So whatever I do unless I seek out a retro mattress set I will be making a big change. I was looking at hybrid coil mattresses so glad to hear you have found them comfortable.

We switched in June. We bought a new mattress at the same time and moved from a queen size to a king. Lots of changes.

We very much like the new bed. But who is to say if it is mattress or the platform bed. I would guess the former over the latter.

Switched to platform a few years ago and now I'm wondering why we ever wanted/needed a box spring. Also recently added a foam/gel mattress topper to freshen up the old mattress.

Have considered one with pull out drawers under for additional storage in our second home (which is small). So thanks all for the reviews.

That is the kind we have. An underdrawers bed! :DDrawers are so much better than a dank, dusty, hard-to-clean space under the bed.

Except for hotels, I have not slept on a box-spring mattress since I moved out on my own. At first, I had no bed (or other furniture) and slept on a mattress on the floor. Later, someone built a simple platform (basically a wooden box with particle-board over the top) for the mattress, and that was my bed throughout my 20's. And when I got married at 29, we bought a Scan platform bed. Later, the under-drawers bed replaced it.

Have considered one with pull out drawers under for additional storage in our second home (which is small). So thanks all for the reviews.

Box springs are a big scam that people think they need. If you lay a mattress on a solid flat surface...there is no need for a box spring. Direct on floor, platform bed, etc.

We have a select comfort sleep number bed- nothing more than air tubes on a plastic platform. Its great - I can’t remember the switch from box spring - it was a long time ago. Our guest room bed has a box spring, but I may replace it with a platform when I build the new bedroom furniture.

Note that in addition to wooden platforms there are now metal platforms that eliminate the need for a box spring, and being 19 inches high provide a way to store things under the bed. (much cheaper than the wooded platforms)

Thanks everyone. I have ordered a platform storage bed and spent an hour in the sleep lab at the store. Mattress number 3 was a winner and spent a long time making sure

I am now working on new flooring for the bedroom to happen before the bed arrives!

Got our first platform bed back in 1978. Never had any other type, since then. No adjustment period at all.

I need a new bed and the ones that meet my needs are all platform. I have never had anything other than the old fashioned box spring and mattress ( except when travelling then whatever hotels have). I like a fairly firm mattress

For those of you who made a switch was it difficult to get used to?

Thanks in advance

No. It's great. Our mattress is quite thick.

We recently purchased a queen sized platform bed and a new foam mattress. My DW complained that the mattress shook her when I rolled over. We swapped the new mattress for the old inner spring mattress and the problem remained. I asked her to gently jump up and down on the mattress while I looked underneath. What I found was that the bed rails were flexing and causing the bounce. Adding a support in the center really firmed it up.

I must be a weirdo. We have a king size bed and I just built a platform for it out of cedar 2x4 and furniture plywood. A platform is nothing more than a box. Hidden under the bed (I cantilevered it). Didn't see any reason to go out and buy one when I built it in a couple hours for practically no money.

That is the kind we have. An underdrawers bed! :DDrawers are so much better than a dank, dusty, hard-to-clean space under the bed.

But then where would my stranger-anxiety cat go when I have company?

I have a platform with storage drawers. Plan to get an adjustable bed/platform in near future. While I want the adjustable bed - giving up the 'dust free' platform will be tough.

Box springs are a big scam that people think they need. If you lay a mattress on a solid flat surface...there is no need for a box spring. Direct on floor, platform bed, etc.

You beat me to it about box springs. Bedding is a racket of sorts, especially those coming out of bedding galleries--very expensive.

I ordered a Leggett and Platt adjustable bed and a very high quality memory foam mattress from BedInABag.com and my wife cannot sleep on any other bed without back pain. Their level of service and quality of bedding cannot be beat.

Back
Top Bottom