Join Early Retirement Today

Play a Musical Instrument?
Old 08-23-2014, 02:59 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Play a Musical Instrument?

Not to include CD Player, Radio etc.

Personally, not an expert on any, but I do play guitar, uke, and to some extent,
recorder, harmonica and keyboard, and (long ago), the violin... to the 6th position.

So... do/did you play? If so, for your own entertainment, or in a group or on stage?

Seems as if music is taking a hit in education, with music classes one of the first to go, when school budgets get squeezed. Does your local school system still have regular courses in music?

Last question... Is RAP... Music?.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2014, 04:34 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Playing music is one of my great joys. I play baroque flute, recorder, and harpsichord regularly and also dabble with fortepiano and modern piano. I have been hired to play at weddings, have assisted college music students by playing at their recitals and have performed onstage with a Renaissance music group, but I would stop short of calling myself a professional musician. One of my big hopes for retirement is to find/form one or more ensembles so that music can finally play the role in my life that I have wanted it to for so long.

Old 08-23-2014, 05:20 PM   #3

A bit of guitar. I would enjoy it more if I were better at it but maybe it has something to do with starting late? I was way over-confident that I'd be able to run with it a lot easier. But I don't think I can give it up entirely.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:59 PM   #4

Flute (I already guessed that JJQuantz did too), recorder. I tried to play the oboe for a few years but it gave me heart palpitations. DH plays guitar and uke.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:15 PM   #5

A related question is: what instrument would you like to learn to play? For me, it's cello.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:18 PM   #6

I don't play either one much any more, but I still know how to play the piano and the guitar.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:31 PM   #7

I played the saxophone in high school. I took piano lessons about 40 years ago and just could not learn it. Would like to try again, but not sure I'd do any better. Has anyone here learned to play the piano in their 50s or later?
Old 08-23-2014, 06:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
I played the saxophone in high school. I took piano lessons about 40 years ago and just could not learn it. Would like to try again, but not sure I'd do any better. Has anyone here learned to play the piano in their 50s or later?

I don't think you ever "learn" it, but if you try you are always learning. Go for it!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:20 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I play piano when I get the chance/if someone has one. I also sing a lot with my grandkids or by myself.....
Old 08-23-2014, 08:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
A related question is: what instrument would you like to learn to play? For me, it's cello.
No doubt in my mind - bagpipes.

This will not happen because I do not want to get a divorce.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:13 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
No doubt in my mind - bagpipes.

This will not happen because I do not want to get a divorce.
Q. What's the definition of a gentleman?
A. Someone who knows how to play the bagpipe and doesn't.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:45 AM   #12

I play flute, piccolo, and piano. Had conservatory professor private lessons while in college, for which I am forever grateful, so I play 2-3x per week. Started teaching myself oboe, but it is very difficult. DH is a musician, plays piano, synth keyboards, drums, violin and sax. DS is a percussion major, but also plays flute, trumpet, trombone, clarinet.

We can't downsize--baby grand in the living room, vibes and xylophone in the family room, drums and electronic keyboard studio in the basement.

OTOH, my piccolo fits in my pocket!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-24-2014, 06:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
I play flute, piccolo, and piano. Had conservatory professor private lessons while in college, for which I am forever grateful, so I play 2-3x per week. Started teaching myself oboe, but it is very difficult. DH is a musician, plays piano, synth keyboards, drums, violin and sax. DS is a percussion major, but also plays flute, trumpet, trombone, clarinet.

We can't downsize--baby grand in the living room, vibes and xylophone in the family room, drums and electronic keyboard studio in the basement.

OTOH, my piccolo fits in my pocket!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Good to hear that I am not the only one with down-sizing issues. We have a harpsichord, fortepiano, clavichord, upright piano and a reed organ. Also various flutes, recorders and other small instruments.
Old 08-24-2014, 06:56 AM   #14

I play the Kazoo.

When I was a kid, I took piano lessons. I hated them. They came on because my other bought a piano and it came with six months of lessons. My sister wanted to learn, and I got caught up in the hype...

I would love to be able to pick up a guitar or piano, and be able to pick off three or four chords. Just enough for most people to be able to "name that tune". After the few chords, then quit playing. People would want me to go on, and I could make up an excuse why I did not want to. Not in tune, just doesn't feel right, etc.

Of course that would be all I would know how to play.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:32 AM   #15

Piano, which I can still play. Trumpet, which I haven't played since high school. Started to teach myself guitar but sort of lost interest using the online learning method. Still want to learn it, but think I'll wait until retirement and then find a real live person to teach me.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:10 AM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Harmonica - I thought it would be cool to play something so very portable. I couldn't get over the hump of sounding good enough to motivate me to continue. I should give it another try. I do play keyboards a bit, can strum a few chords and have memorized a few runs on guitar, can play a scale on recorder and maybe clarinet with a little practice, but I can't really play those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Q. What's the definition of a gentleman?
A. Someone who knows how to play the bagpipe and doesn't.
What's all this bagpipe hate (not directed at you, it seems to be a recurring theme)? I love bagpipes! Well, OK, in fairly small doses. I doubt that any cable or satellite system has a 'bagpipe channel'!

The Uilleann pipes tend to be a bit more mellow...

-ERD50
Old 08-24-2014, 10:13 AM   #17

I would love to learn to play guitar, but I don't think I have dexterity or ear for it. I took African drumming lessons for a while (djembe) but got demoted to cowbell by the end!

Mostly I'm happy to be an appreciative listener blessed with many musical friends, though. Nothing better than ending an evening with a few folks playing guitar in your living room.

Thankfully, my roommate's drumming skills have improved dramatically over the past few months and I actually enjoy hearing him practice the big set--good thing, as there's no escaping the noise!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:21 AM   #18

Have played guitar since about 14 and still playing and learning at 63. I've played a few bars around town just for fun but play mostly for my own enjoyment.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Baritone. At least once a year I get to play with the University of Texas Longhorn Alumni Band. More often at smaller pep rallies where they bribe us with free beer.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:01 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

took guitar lessons as a teen, played drums in high school and college and in bands, but now play mostly piano. find playing very enjoyable and relaxing. still have drums and guitar in the " music room".