Join Early Retirement Today

Play Bridge?
Old 12-27-2008, 01:13 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Play Bridge?

My wife has got interested in we two playing Bridge.
I briefly played 35 years ago - when I moved to SF at 23 I fell in with a gang of old Bridge & Scrabble addicts. Will it come back like riding a bike?

Should be a good social outlet and may help stave off brain shrinkage.
I think we are headed for lessons. I remember Warren Buffet & Bill Gates play each other on-line. Any players on the forum?

The way the economy is not going lately, I think there will be a trend to making your own entertainment with puzzles games and other at home hi-jinks.

Hey I just noticed this is post 2,000. Do I get anything?

Well from one old er fart to you young and old er farts, happy holidays and have a real good new year and decent returns and tricks in the future.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2008, 01:37 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Well from one old er fart to you young and old er farts, happy holidays and have a real good new year and decent returns and tricks in the future.
I guess the economy is worse than I realized. You'll be careful out there on the street?

Ha
Old 12-27-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
Administrator

I play but have a heck of a time finding anyone to play with and am not willing to join a bridge club - way too stuffy for my taste. I've found that the best way to find good and fun players is to teach people you enjoy spending time with to play.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:14 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Good to see you back, Danny, on your 2,000 post! Not a bridge player here and SO gets mad when I win at Scrabble or dominos so we mostly play with the cat.

All the best to you in the new year.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Good to see you back, Danny, on your 2,000 post! Not a bridge player here and SO gets mad when I win at Scrabble or dominos so we mostly play with the cat.

All the best to you in the new year.
My ex had about twice my IQ. She used to beat the crap out me in scrabble and games like that. I reacted about like your SO, unhappily. Girls, don't you realize that men suffer when you destroy our vanities?

Ha
Old 12-27-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
My ex had about twice my IQ. She used to beat the crap out me in scrabble and games like that. I reacted about like your SO, unhappily. Girls, don't you realize that men suffer when you destroy our vanities?

Ha
You would think dominos is a fair game of chance but there really is strategy.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:21 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:

Ha
In 10 years, my EX beat me at Scrabble two or three times, same with card games. Is that why he left?
Old 12-27-2008, 06:18 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
In 10 years, my EX beat me at Scrabble two or three times, same with card games. Is that why he left?
You know, you girls are supposed to learn about that in junior high.

You want be popular with men? Act like this gal

Ha
Old 12-27-2008, 06:44 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
If you played Scrabble only two or three times, No!

Gives me an idea. I'll set up a game now.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:47 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Phew! The only advice my dad gave my sister was, "modulate your voice!"
Old 12-27-2008, 06:55 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
If you played Scrabble only two or three times, No!

Gives me an idea. I'll set up a game now.
I come from a family that took Scrabble seriously. When I asked why there was an extra 'E' in the game, I was told it was because mother stuffed the entire previous game into the woodstove after father quit rather than lose.

Paternal Grandmother was still winning at Scrabble in her 80s with cataracts.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:59 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
My wife has got interested in we two playing Bridge.
I briefly played 35 years ago - when I moved to SF at 23 I fell in with a gang of old Bridge & Scrabble addicts. Will it come back like riding a bike?

Should be a good social outlet and may help stave off brain shrinkage.
I think we are headed for lessons. I remember Warren Buffet & Bill Gates play each other on-line. Any players on the forum?

The way the economy is not going lately, I think there will be a trend to making your own entertainment with puzzles games and other at home hi-jinks.

Hey I just noticed this is post 2,000. Do I get anything?

I recall at college, there would be ongoing card games in dorm hallways and student union, where games would stay but players would come and go . (euchre spades hearts pinochle poker...)
Old 12-27-2008, 07:10 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I come from a family that took Scrabble seriously. When I asked why there was an extra 'E' in the game, I was told it was because mother stuffed the entire previous game into the woodstove after father quit rather than lose.

Wood stoves were so useful.

Mom's side of the family loved to win at cards. Remember 1000 piece puzzles? Someone would finish it and I would take a few pieces out so mom could "win." Monopoly games were unbelievable. I came up from behind once with nothing but hotels on cheap streets, isn't that how it works in real life? And the "Game of Life" had a house for second place, IIRC, philosopher, which was plenty impressive for me.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:22 PM   #14

Quote:

Ha
I would love to be able to act like her. I love to see people dancing. I took a dancing class through our university years ago and another dance class through OLLI last year, but I am not really that well coordinated and my DH does not like to dance. He does go with me to a few square dances at a fire hall in PA if my DS's DH is going to be there. I would love to take a ballroom dance class or some of the latin dances, but he would never agree to doing it.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:28 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I would love to be able to act like her. I love to see people dancing. I took a dancing class through our university years ago and another dance class through OLLI last year, but I am not really that well coordinated and my DH does not like to dance. He does go with me to a few square dances at a fire hall in PA if my DS's DH is going to be there. I would love to take a ballroom dance class or some of the latin dances, but he would never agree to doing it.
I am uncoordinated and arthritic; maybe I could waltz?
Old 01-01-2009, 06:34 PM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

Another Scrabble memory:
The instructions say to put the (then wood) tiles upside down in the box.

At some point, mother noticed that brother and I were always picking the good letters. We were remembering the wood grain. After that we resorted to dumping the tiles into a ceramic bean pot.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:50 PM   #17

I do play a lot of bridge, since no one else does, possibly the OP could PM me?