Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Played hooky yesterday as a dry-run for retirement
Old 08-20-2015, 07:17 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Played hooky yesterday as a dry-run for retirement

For the first time in my career, I called in sick when I wasn't sick. I use few sick days, and am cheesed off about the expected bonus (or lack of). When I saw my calendar had not a single meeting in it, I decided to take the day for myself. Oh, I did handle email during the day, and I called in for a quick meeting at the end of the day, so I wasn't being completely irresponsible.

This was a dry-run for retirement. I went out for a long walk by the water, spent some time making more money on the stock market, puttered around the apartment, did grocery shopping, and made a nice dinner.

I know it was only one day, but I didn't miss work, and it was nice being out and about while the rest of the city was busying themselves with the business of making a living. I don't think that I will be bored or have a while in my life when I finish work next April at 50.
Davis65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2015, 07:25 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You called in sick when you weren't but still answered emails and called in for a meeting? You are infected with the work virus. Take 2 martinis and call me in the morning.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:32 AM   #3

So you took a few steps in the ocean yesterday as practice for your channel swim....
Old 08-20-2015, 08:13 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Nice test run at a retired day.

Any time that I'm off or w*rk during the week I always take a moment to dream about what it'll be like when I'm retired. It's a nice feeling and a good driver to keep on keepin' on.
Cassius King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:46 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good for you!

I did the same thing when I learned my time was up.

In 33 years I had never taken a sick day without being sick or played hooky.

One day, after being told I'd not be included in the team going forward, I just took the day, went for a walk, had lunch at a cafe (living in Paris at the time made it even easier) and visited a museum. Took a nap, went to dinner.

One of the more interesting--and memorable--days of my work life.

I say interesting because of the slight disorientation of "just not giving a damn" anymore. It was a new and unusual feeling for me but I've expanded upon it over the past 10 years!
Old 08-20-2015, 11:15 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
You called in sick when you weren't but still answered emails and called in for a meeting? You are infected with the work virus. Take 2 martinis and call me in the morning.

+1

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:21 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
Ouch! Guilty as charged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
So you took a few steps in the ocean yesterday as practice for your channel swim....
Fair analogy. One day vs. 45 years....

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Good for you!
I did the same thing when I learned my time was up. In 33 years I had never taken a sick day without being sick or played hooky. One day, after being told I'd not be included in the team going forward, I just took the day, went for a walk, had lunch at a cafe (living in Paris at the time made it even easier) and visited a museum. Took a nap, went to dinner. One of the more interesting--and memorable--days of my work life. I say interesting because of the slight disorientation of "just not giving a damn" anymore. It was a new and unusual feeling for me but I've expanded upon it over the past 10 years!
So in the last 10 years did you ever get the "I'm bored, I wish I had my job back, I have no meaning in my life" blues?
Davis65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 02:09 PM   #8

I remember a similar day when I was still w*rking. I had a very early doctor's appointment and would then go in to w*rk. It was an absolutely gorgeous morning, and I was at the train station at 9:30. It was so quiet, birds chirping, and dagnabbit very depressing to get on the train. .........so the next day I did what you did, and knew I was ready to take the ER plunge.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 02:24 PM   #9

Shame , Shame , Shame, why did you wait so long , should have been doing this for years, like many of your co-workers
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote