Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2015, 09:27 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,888
The value of something on ebay is determined by the bid progress. Well, at least psychologically. I was bidding yesterday on a used DVD but there were no bids. I put in my max snipe bid of a little over $4. But come auction end, no one bidded. The min bid was $3. Now I didn't want the DVD at $3 as I could wait and see if the seller will re-list at a lower price. Had I not used a snipe bid (which I cancelled the scheduled bid), my early $3 bid may have driving the price up.

Now I've got my sites on a mechanical keyboard like the one that got away last time .
__________________

__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2015, 09:32 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
The value of something on ebay is determined by the bid progress. Well, at least psychologically. I was bidding yesterday on a used DVD but there were no bids. I put in my max snipe bid of a little over $4. But come auction end, no one bidded. The min bid was $3. Now I didn't want the DVD at $3 as I could wait and see if the seller will re-list at a lower price. Had I not used a snipe bid (which I cancelled the scheduled bid), my early $3 bid may have driving the price up.

Now I've got my sites on a mechanical keyboard like the one that got away last time .

Why would you think that your $3 bid would have driven up the price when NOBODY bid at $3 Do you really think that someone who does not want it at $3 will say 'hey, that easysurfer dude bid on this and even though I do not want it at that price I will bid $4"?

I do not.

I think you could have won it at $3....
__________________

__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:16 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Why would you think that your $3 bid would have driven up the price when NOBODY bid at $3 Do you really think that someone who does not want it at $3 will say 'hey, that easysurfer dude bid on this and even though I do not want it at that price I will bid $4"?

I do not.

I think you could have won it at $3....
I agree with you that in this case I may have won at $3.

But in other instances when something has more than zero bids, I think seeing a bid price climb does influence the non-disciplined bidders.

As a comparison, why do investors buy high and sell low? Inexperience or emotion takes over.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:38 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 13,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I agree with you that in this case I may have won at $3.

But in other instances when something has more than zero bids, I think seeing a bid price climb does influence the non-disciplined bidders.

As a comparison, why do investors buy high and sell low? Inexperience or emotion takes over.

I agree that emotion can take over in bidding... I have seen it at live auctions, so I would assume that it happens on Ebay... but that is usually in the heat of the moment and not days or even hours before the sale... and also from a good auctioneer that knows how to get the emotions going... I just do not see this as a factor online...

Also, there is no way to know what bid is emotion and what bid is someone just values it more than you...

It is also easy to say that my max bid is $100 and I see it go to $105 just before the end and say... OK, I will go to $110... is that emotion or me wanting to get a sure thing now as opposed to a possibility to get it at $100 later?
__________________
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:39 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I agree that emotion can take over in bidding... I have seen it at live auctions, so I would assume that it happens on Ebay... but that is usually in the heat of the moment and not days or even hours before the sale... and also from a good auctioneer that knows how to get the emotions going... I just do not see this as a factor online...

Also, there is no way to know what bid is emotion and what bid is someone just values it more than you...

It is also easy to say that my max bid is $100 and I see it go to $105 just before the end and say... OK, I will go to $110... is that emotion or me wanting to get a sure thing now as opposed to a possibility to get it at $100 later?
I think there's a lot of factors involved in your example of getting something at $100 despite that being $10 over your original limit. Factors are how much you really want/need the item and how much work is involved too. For example, is the $10 saved by not buying worth the time waiting for another auction to come along at that price? Or what if you can get that for $10 cheaper at a store, but then that means a 5 mile drive? Is that worth the $10 saved?

That said, to keep using small increments on bids, I'd then become in nibbling territory .
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:21 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,888
I just got out sniped on my bid for a mechanical keyboard. My snipe bid was entered with 6 seconds (the default of the free snipe service I'm using) left of the auction. Then one bid a second later sniped and bidded $1 more than my bid to win. I guess he was willing to pay more than me, simple as that.

Win some/lose some. I got another snipe bid in the hopper to try again in about a day.
__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
easysurfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,888
I'm 0-2 snipe bidding. I still like the strategy, but the most recent auction, the winner did a proxy bid that was higher than what I am willing to pay. So, despite me having a bid in the final 6 seconds, the bidder won once ebay sorted all the bidding out.
__________________

__________________
Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Polar bear playing with husky RunningBum Other topics 4 10-10-2007 06:10 PM
Am I playing with fire? LRAO FIRE and Money 16 11-10-2006 11:56 AM
Playing With Your Children boont Life after FIRE 32 11-06-2006 09:08 AM
Playing with your PenSION azanon Life after FIRE 11 11-02-2006 12:42 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:31 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.