Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-29-2008, 03:21 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyumbc View Post
would it be too boring to post a research paper here?
For me, nah ...

Anyway, it will be another opportunity to "enhance your future" by debating, arguing, and generally just be "pains in the a--".

But wait. We're (at least some of us) are old, retired, and bored (or why would we be posting, here ).

Bring it on (seriously). We (at least me) would like to see the results of your work.

- Ron

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2008, 03:34 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Jocelyn.. you obviously haven't browsed the forum enough. Here, a hot topic is dryer sheets.

NOTHING is "too boring"!!!

(Oh, and welcome to your future -maybe)

Old 07-29-2008, 03:53 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I took the survey too. One med management tool not mentioned is a reminder targeting a household member who is making sure that meds taken by a frail person are manged. [Members of the sandwich generation have a lot of balls in the air, reminders to check on elderly parents meds can be very helpful.)

The survey design doesn't consider that some state laws require that an institutional pharmacy be used in many facilities. Meds this way are often not covered by patient insurance. Folks moving to retirement settings should be sure to explore that situation.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:23 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
Jocelyn.. you obviously haven't browsed the forum enough. Here, a hot topic is dryer sheets.

NOTHING is "too boring"!!!

(Oh, and welcome to your future -maybe)
Nothing is so boring that can't be fixed by bacon and boobs...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:29 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
It seems you have a built-in-bias to find people over 50 who spend time on-line. Aren't there surveys floating around to show that that population is the least likely to be computer literate? You say your interest is in the next generation of seniors so maybe it's not so much of a bias. But I do believe voluntary surveys result in further bias.
See, they're only going to offer the special longevity drugs online.

So in a few years they won't have to worry about the seniors who don't do online surveys...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:52 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
IWe would like to design the new technology focus on the users need by considering the cognition and usability issues.
Hunter Thompson couldn't have said it better.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:37 AM   #27
gone traveling

Thank you for all the support from this forum. :-)
Old 07-30-2008, 11:44 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I really appreciate the friendliness of people in this forum.

Actually the final goal of our project is to develop new type of technology that would potentially help senior people who have difficulty in medication management, such as taking the right medicine at the right time with correct dosage. We would like to design the new technology focus on the users need by considering the cognition and usability issues.
Folks, there really is money being made in this field, on-line already. A dot.com moved into expensive offices near me about a year ago, PositScience, they call themselves. They sell cognition tools to be used on-line. I believe they give out samples if you are interested--IIRC it has to do with improving the memory and is being heavily marketed to baby boomers--street rumors tell me they are getting a lot of customers from a big nearby senior apt. complex.

I attended a free open-house there about a year ago--hey, everyone was going and who am I to turn down free food? The food and wine was great but the cognition exercises didn't look like my cuppa tea. They hired a big staff of really cool dot-comers and highly experienced academics. I asked one of the high-level profs. how this compares to doing crossword puzzles. His response was so evasive, I don't remember it--obviously I need to improve my cognitive side.

All the best, Jolly (love that handle [think Marlene Dietritch in "Morocco"]). I'd be very interested to hear how your project(s) and career progresses. It's never too early to join the ER Forums.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:15 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Jolly - not important, but is English not your native tongue? Reading what you write makes my head hurt. Maybe you are writing in the lingua franca of research geek, but friendly conversational English it isn't. or so thinks me.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:26 PM   #30
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Jolly - not important, but is English not your native tongue? Reading what you write makes my head hurt. Maybe you are writing in the lingua franca of research geek, but friendly conversational English it isn't. or so thinks me.
I am sorry if my writing makes you not comfortable. But English is my second language. I am trying my best. Please let me know, in which way that my expresson is not friendly. Really appreciate!
Old 07-30-2008, 12:42 PM   #31

calmloki, are you talking about the survey or what she has written here?
I haven't seen the survey but I have no issues with any of her communications here.

Sure there are some glitches that give away that she's not a native speaker but I found her perfectly friendly and comprehensible so far.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:32 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am sorry if my writing makes you not comfortable. But English is my second language. I am trying my best. Please let me know, in which way that my expresson is not friendly. Really appreciate!
Just haven't had enough coffee this morning - much happier to learn that English isn't your native tongue. Your command of the language is admirable, it's just the phrasing that makes me work a bit harder to understand you - i'm a lazy reader and impatient with unnecessarily complex sentences or technocratic language. Please bear in mind i couldn't ask for a glass of iced tea in any language other than English and downgrade my prior comment accordingly.

Haven't taken the survey yet.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:35 PM   #33
gone traveling

Dear friends, if you could ask your friends who are 50 above and who might have interests in my survey, please ask them to help me out. I am still in the half way to my data collection. Thank you so much!! :-)
Old 07-31-2008, 05:47 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Dear friends, if you could ask your friends who are 50 above and who might have interests in my survey, please ask them to help me out. I am still in the half way to my data collection. Thank you so much!! :-)
You can just take your current count/results and multiply by 2? ....

Anyway, did you post your request at this site? (I know there is a lot of "old geazers" that reside there):

Bogleheads Investing Advice and Info

- Ron
Old 08-01-2008, 09:41 AM   #35
gone traveling

Thanks for the information Ron. Will do that. :-)
Old 08-04-2008, 04:23 PM   #36
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs0460a View Post
You can just take your current count/results and multiply by 2? ....

Anyway, did you post your request at this site? (I know there is a lot of "old geazers" that reside there):

Bogleheads Investing Advice and Info

- Ron
I can not post the survey links on that site. It seems that they require longer membership with the site. Anyway, I left my email address and hope people would email me asking for the survey link.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:59 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Guys, this survey seems legit. The preamble provides the appropriate institutional information and contact numbers. The informed consent yada yada is the usual gobbledegook required by research ethics boards.

Survey Monkey is all the rage in sociologic research circles and I am using it in my own research. A licence with SSL encryption costs $300 per annum. A free subscription is OK for very short surveys. For an online audience, taking the survey is as easy as falling off a log. For people without online access, the survey can be printed. For the researcher, it greatly simplifies the job of collecting and analyzing data.

Jocelyn, good luck with your project. You might want to review question 5 for some spelling errors. Also, I do think it's very important to chase the people who are not accessible online. They are more likely to (a) be in an assisted living facility; (b) take multiple medications; (c) have medication errors.....because, in general, they tend to be older and in poorer health than the people on this forum. For the same reasons, they may also be less likely to accept and use newfangled technology.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:21 PM   #38
gone traveling

I'm going to take the survey after someone gets my meds figured out...
Old 08-05-2008, 12:04 AM   #39

Jocelyn good luck with your project. As an ER doc who sees predominantly geriatric patients "Medication Misadventure" is an increasingly common cause of ED visits in our aging population. Anything that could help prevent lapses in taking needed medication or preventing overuse would be of great benefit.

DD
Old 08-05-2008, 10:17 AM   #40
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Guys, this survey seems legit. The preamble provides the appropriate institutional information and contact numbers. The informed consent yada yada is the usual gobbledegook required by research ethics boards.

Survey Monkey is all the rage in sociologic research circles and I am using it in my own research. A licence with SSL encryption costs $300 per annum. A free subscription is OK for very short surveys. For an online audience, taking the survey is as easy as falling off a log. For people without online access, the survey can be printed. For the researcher, it greatly simplifies the job of collecting and analyzing data.

Jocelyn, good luck with your project. You might want to review question 5 for some spelling errors. Also, I do think it's very important to chase the people who are not accessible online. They are more likely to (a) be in an assisted living facility; (b) take multiple medications; (c) have medication errors.....because, in general, they tend to be older and in poorer health than the people on this forum. For the same reasons, they may also be less likely to accept and use newfangled technology.
Thanks a lot. I've corrected the spelling errors. And we are actrually going to assisted living facility this month to collect other part of our data.