Please Help Brainstorm Title Ideas

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I need help choosing a title for my next book.

Before I tell you what the book is about, I'd like to present my brainstorming ideas for a title. I will want it to match the plot, but since overall attractiveness is the most important factor, I'll present them first. IOW, it would be better if a title elicits "I gotta read that!" and matches the plot poorly, than have it be a perfect match, but not be attractive.

Here's my short list. There are many good titles that are already taken. I want mine to be unique.

Time Bounce
Time, Interrupted
The Time Leaper
The Time Leaper's Secret
Time Bounce
The Romanian Time Thief
The Materialized Girl
The Lady Unvanishes
Time Leap

Here's a summary of the book:

A paranormal sci-fi thriller in which a woman jewel thief materializes in 2020, having escaped police by hopping in a time machine in 1980. Eric Beckman, a private eye who can read minds, must figure out what happened, and unlock the secret she holds--a secret that's vital to solving the world's energy catastrophe.

Did "The Time Leaper" make anyone think "Leper"?

Many thanks!

Al

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Subconsciously you may like "Time Bounce" as it's on the list twice. :D

"Time, Interrupted" is my fave.

(I dislike all the titles with 'Leaper', fwiw.)

omni

I too dislike the word "leaper" in any of the titles.
I am going with Time Bounce only because I don't like titles that are a play on another book/movie/whatever.
Like "Time, Interrupted" makes me think of "Girl, Interrupted" and so on.

I make an assumption (incorrect no doubt but it's just me) that the author is not unique because he or she has used a play off another work.

My silly opinion only. I read 1-2 books per week.

Hope that made sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Do the words getaway or escape help anywhere?

Getaway through Time
Escape through Time
The Time Jumper's Getaway
Time Jump Getaway
The Time Jumper's Escape
Time Leap Getaway

Good Luck

Did "The Time Leaper" make anyone think "Leper"?

Yes!! Leaper, leper, the mind melds them.

I too dislike the word "leaper" in any of the titles.
Like "Time, Interrupted" makes me think of "Girl, Interrupted" and so on.

Agreed. So that's more process of elimination. But "Romanian Time Thief" has a sort of mystic charm to it, w/o sounding too much like "Murder on the Orient Express".

-ERD50

My thought for a title: I got your time right here

It is a rougher and ruder title that attracts attention. any other rough or ruder title might do also.

Last edited:
Time crime
Time > money ( added inside joke bonus )

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I personally like long titled books, and find their names more memorable, such as "the curious incident of the dog in the nighttime".

Couldn't think of any suggestions for you though.

A Snitch in Time.

An Appointment In Time

Ooooh! Is that a reference to An Appointment in Samarra?

One of a few books/stories in High School that stuck with me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appointment_in_Samarra

Spoiler alert - drag your mouse over the next section to read - as I recall, the entire story was not much longer than this:

A merchant in Baghdad sends his servant to the marketplace for provisions. Shortly, the servant comes home white and trembling and tells him that in the marketplace he was jostled by a woman, whom he recognized as Death, and she made a threatening gesture. Borrowing the merchant's horse, he flees at top speed to Samarra, a distance of about 75 miles (125 km), where he believes Death will not find him. The merchant then goes to the marketplace and finds Death, and asks why she made the threatening gesture. She replies, "That was not a threatening gesture, it was only a start of surprise. I was astonished to see him in Baghdad, for I had an appointment with him tonight in Samarra."

-ERD50

Ooooh! Is that a reference to An Appointment in Samarra?

One of a few books/stories in High School that stuck with me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appointment_in_Samarra

Spoiler alert - drag your mouse over the next section to read - as I recall, the entire story was not much longer than this:

A merchant in Baghdad sends his servant to the marketplace for provisions. Shortly, the servant comes home white and trembling and tells him that in the marketplace he was jostled by a woman, whom he recognized as Death, and she made a threatening gesture. Borrowing the merchant's horse, he flees at top speed to Samarra, a distance of about 75 miles (125 km), where he believes Death will not find him. The merchant then goes to the marketplace and finds Death, and asks why she made the threatening gesture. She replies, "That was not a threatening gesture, it was only a start of surprise. I was astonished to see him in Baghdad, for I had an appointment with him tonight in Samarra."

-ERD50

No, you are much better read than I am, I have never heard of that one, but I am interested now, thanks

Back
Top Bottom