Join Early Retirement Today

Plumb Flushed
Old 05-08-2017, 06:51 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Plumb Flushed

Recently we noticed a spot on our basement finished ceiling that turned out to be a leaky drainpipe. We had a plumber perform the repairs at a cost of $964.00 and drywall repair and retexturing @ $225.00, expensive but no where near our HO insurance deductible.

The plumber said he had never seen a PVC pipe failure like this in his 11 years (such is our luck).

He left the defective parts and I contacted the PVC mfg who said to send in the failed part. The report came back, failure was due to improper installation 17 years ago. I contacted the origional plumber. He has yet to acknowledge the failure (wow who would have predicted that).

Thinking about small claims court but maybe I'm making too much of one of "life's little dramas". Maybe I shoulda used duct tape.

Either way, thankful for the 'ol emergency fund. DW may have to go without new tires this year.
msefren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2017, 07:04 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How did u get a drywall guy for 225? thats the sale of the century. Every tradesman i call want me to send their kids to college on my repair.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:46 PM   #3

A claim on a 17 year old job, are you serious?
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:32 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

You have got to be kidding about a possible lawsuit on a 17 year old installation. Have you thought for a second of how many times hot and cold water have ran through that pipe causing it to expand and contract? How could you possibly think that someone was negligent? It's been 17 years! I realize that the PVC manufacturer said it was "installed improperly". What else could they say? If they said that the pipe was at fault they would be worried some jerk would try to sue them. Its people like you that ruin it for self employed people. I don't blame the original plumber for ignoring you, I would have done the same thing.

Here is an idea, maybe sue the tire manufacturer of the tires on your wife's car. All you did was drive on them for umpteen thousand miles and they wore out. They should pay!!!
427Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:36 PM   #5
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
A claim on a 17 year old job, are you serious?
And for $1000, hardly worth my time getting out of bed to go to court, it's the cost of home ownership
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Plumb Flushed
Old 05-08-2017, 08:53 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Plumb Flushed

You might be past your time limit. I believe here in Illinois the time limit is 10 years.
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginerd View Post
You might be past your time limit. I believe here in Illinois the time limit is 10 years.
Every repair job i got , the warranty ended the minute he walked out my door.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:42 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
And for $1000, hardly worth my time getting out of bed to go to court, it's the cost of home ownership
It doesn't need to be that expensive to live in a house. Cut open the drywall, replace $20 of pipe (or maybe just tighten a connection), replace drywall, then mud and tape. It's a simple DIY project.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:53 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I think you might have a problem with the 'proof'... IOW, if I were a judge I would not take the word of the pipe company that it was installed improperly since they did not see how it was installed... also, as we say down here, they have a dog in the hunt....

I would want an independent expert to testify that it was the installation that cause the problem.... good luck with that...

AND, as many others have pointed out... it has been 17 years... who knows if someone else had not gone in to 'fix' something else and caused the problem.... not to mention the statue of limitations that probably is there...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:24 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Could be an earthquake too. Haven't you seen some minor earthquakes in recent years in Omaha?

My 30 year old PVC drain was fine until we had the east coast earthquake. I can't say for sure, but I think it was the reason it developed a hairline crack.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:07 AM   #11

Bought this house when 1 year old. 5 years in redid leaking upstairs shower, 10 years in had to add steel flitch plate over garage door because flashing done wrong and glulam beam compromised. 15 years in major structural issue I fixed myself but would have been $5k at least.

I never even thought about tracking down builder. I've been in construction and knew it would be a hopeless endeavor. I did collect on shower damage from insurance but you need to be cautious or your rates will go up more than you got.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:41 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I'm replacing my 16 year old roof later this month and half the neighborhood has already done do. That's after numerous roof leaks from bad installation when it was built. Wish I could go after builder, but it would just be a fruitless endeavor. Going after a plumber after 17 years is a waste of time. It's probably an easy self repair anyway.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:44 AM   #13
gone traveling

I had a pvc pipe break inside the slab foundation on a house built in 2009, plumber had to cut open the cement to fix it, had drywall damage and bathroom vanity damage, set me back $10k but insurance paid out $14k, ended up with $3k in my pocket after the deductible, it was a lucky day that pipe bursting
Old 05-09-2017, 12:06 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I had a pvc pipe break inside the slab foundation on a house built in 2009, plumber had to cut open the cement to fix it, had drywall damage and bathroom vanity damage, set me back $10k but insurance paid out $14k, ended up with $3k in my pocket after the deductible, it was a lucky day that pipe bursting

And you continue to post things like this on social media...
Old 05-09-2017, 01:53 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Now I know why my insurance rates are so high. Another good way to get some extra cash is to take it out of the offering plate when it comes around on Sunday morning.
427Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadshort52 View Post
Now I know why my insurance rates are so high. Another good way to get some extra cash is to take it out of the offering plate when it comes around on Sunday morning.
The donation box in front of buskers (street musicians) is another good source of ready cash.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:24 PM   #17
gone traveling

I talk the truth, what's to hide? I had an issue, I made a claim, I shopped for the best price to fix it and I kept the difference, why am I evil?? I don't understand
Old 05-09-2017, 02:53 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I talk the truth, what's to hide? I had an issue, I made a claim, I shopped for the best price to fix it and I kept the difference, why am I evil?? I don't understand

You shopped for the best price but gave the insurance company the highest bid I suspect.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:56 PM   #19
gone traveling

you wasted the manufacturers time over a 17 year old pipe? Most manufactured product have a 1 year warranty.

Wasted every ones time for a nickle..

Cheap not frugal
Luck_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:58 PM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
You shopped for the best price but gave the insurance company the highest bid I suspect.
You can suspect or conclude as you wish but fact is insurance company's don't even take bids from their policy holders, they bid it themselves or use their own 3rd party for the bid. That is fact and not a "suspicion"