Points of View On Violence in the NFL

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Why are Harrison's bosses blameless? - NFL News - FOX Sports on MSN

This article focuses on James Harrison, and tries to understand this controversey from his point of view.

We spend so much time lambasting athletes for blowing their money on cars, jewelry, baby-mamas and stupid business deals that we overlook that many of these guys “blow” a significant portion of their cash bailing out family and friends.

In fact, many of these NFL players are extremely generous people and deserve to be respected on many levels.

I would like to see some control on these high hits especially coming on from a pass catcher's blind side. The human body just can't take a lot of these, and sometimes really doesn't survive even one or two very well. And I really can't can't watch it either. These players are human men, not icons in a video game.

But blaming "mean" players is just more of the typical hypocrisy that most of us are so used to that we hardly notice.

Even years ago in highschool, the coaches- always pillars of the community- would tell us- "Son, break that MOFOs f*ckin neck. You want to put him down so he won't get up."

Nice message to give a 16-18 year old boy! And of course that boy could figure that the opposing coaches were giving the same uplifting instructions to their players.

Ha

Why are Harrison's bosses blameless? - NFL News - FOX Sports on MSN

This article focuses on James Harrison, and tries to understand this controversey from his point of view.

We spend so much time lambasting athletes for blowing their money on cars, jewelry, baby-mamas and stupid business deals that we overlook that many of these guys “blow” a significant portion of their cash bailing out family and friends.

In fact, many of these NFL players are extremely generous people and deserve to be respected on many levels.

I would like to see some control on these high hits especially coming on from a pass catcher's blind side. The human body just can't take a lot of these, and sometimes really doesn't survive even one or two very well. And I really can't can't watch it either. These players are human men, not icons in a video game.

But blaming "mean" players is just more of the typical hypocrisy that most of us are so used to that we hardly notice.

Even years ago in highschool, the coaches- always pillars of the community- would tell us- "Son, break that MOFOs f*ckin neck. You want to put him down so he won't get up."

Nice message to give a 16-18 year old boy! And of course that boy could figure that the opposing coaches were giving the same uplifting instructions to their players.

Ha

Aside from the tremendous pressure to "win" at all costs, for some reason Americans seem to want something akin to "championship wrestling" rather than sport. My view on the helmet hits and so forth in the NFL is that it really takes away from the game. I don't watch much sports these days, but a cursory glance at any game on Sunday will show lots of big hits that make the highlight reel, but, IMHO, it will also show lots of missed tackles, because the defender wanted to make the big hit, and if their timing is off, they miss what should have been an easy tackle. Football and hockey are both physical sports, and people do get hurt, but dirty play just doesn't do it for me. Apparently I'm in the minority on that one...

It all starts in youth sports. Any coaches who teach this head-first, helmet-as-a-weapon form of tackling to high schoolers (and younger) should be banned from participation in youth sports.

Most NFL fans like the big "WOW" hits that almost knock a guy out of his socks. But we like them clean and without cheap shots aimed for, or leading with, the head (or aimed at the knees, for that matter).

I think part of the problem is too much equipment; like too much technology - we put too much faith in its ability to protect the person.

It would be interesting to see a NFL team play an Australian team in Australian Rule Football.

Australian Rules Football

I think this whole thing is silly. I'm a big football fan, I don't know any fan who likes seeing spearing and other obviously illegal hits. However, when the league does what they did this week and starts changing the rules after the fact, it bothers me.

Face it, people love to see receivers get popped by safeties and corners. That's a big part of the appeal of the game.

I think this whole thing is silly. I'm a big football fan, I don't know any fan who likes seeing spearing and other obviously illegal hits. However, when the league does what they did this week and starts changing the rules after the fact, it bothers me.
After what fact? And as regards the appeal of the game, you speak for yourself only.

Ha

One poster mentioned hockey, the refs let these guys fight it out and just stand around and watch. I believe the refs are told to sit back because the fights promote viewers and viewers bring money. Money is what it's all about.

One poster mentioned hockey, the refs let these guys fight it out and just stand around and watch. I believe the refs are told to sit back because the fights promote viewers and viewers bring money. Money is what it's all about.
True, but fist fighting (not actiual boxing) or even sticking is less dangerous than the spinal cord and brain injuries that can occur when one very powerful person launches himself against another's head and neck, often after a good run to build up momentum.

Even many of the play by play guys want reform.

I saw Steve Young discussing this, he wants change, and he should know a little about blind side hits- both on himself and on his receivers. His comment- the NFL will change this. They don't want someone killed on Sunday afternoon TV.

Ha

I don't think fines are the answer, it has to be suspensions. I'd be happy with a fine of $50k first offense, then 1 game for repeats. If the player is injured by spearing, the spearee should sit the same number of games as the injured player.

Spearing would cease pronto.

Does the Commisioner have the kahones? Not!

If it's my favorite team doing the hitting, than I'm all for it. If it's an opposing team, then that's a cheap shot :LOL: Just kidding!

Some hits are blatently dirty, but some calls you have to let them play (it isn't touch football). Nothing more disappointing that having the refs decide the game by penalties. There's enough of that in Basketball.

If it's my favorite team doing the hitting, than I'm all for it. If it's an opposing team, then that's a cheap shot :LOL: Just kidding!

Some hits are blatently dirty, but some calls you have to let them play (it isn't touch football). Nothing more disappointing that having the refs decide the game by penalties. There's enough of that in Basketball.
Yeah, but the downside is sitting for 10 minutes while they haul the body off the field. Too many commercials.

After what fact? And as regards the appeal of the game, you speak for yourself only.

Ha

I think after all your posts you should add a note saying that you speak for yourself only :confused:

The fact is that this type of hitting has been going on for a long time. The NFL decided AFTER the games last sunday to retroactively change the rules and fine their players.

I guess in your mind we should just give them flags and not allow any tackling.

FYI - the player on the receiving end of the biggest hit last week said it was ok and he would want a player like that on his own team.

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/sports/football/browns/cribbs-helps-keep-harrison-from-retiring

I think after all your posts you should add a note saying that you speak for yourself only :confused:

The fact is that this type of hitting has been going on for a long time. The NFL decided AFTER the games last sunday to retroactively change the rules and fine their players.

I'll do you a favor and not comment on your mind reading regarding flag football. :)

And as regards "after the fact", aren't meaningful reforms always made in response to events, and thus necessarily after the fact?

Ha

That's not true. Helmet-to-helmet hits have been against the rules for a while now. Fines have been given out for years. The change is the level of enforcement is increasing to include larger fines and potential suspensions.

It's not flag football but the goal should be to tackle the player as soon as possible not as hard as possible. People are intentionally trying to injure other players and that's inexcuseable.

That's not true. Helmet-to-helmet hits have been against the rules for a while now. Fines have been given out for years. The change is the level of enforcement is increasing to include larger fines and potential suspensions.

It's not flag football but the goal should be to tackle the player as soon as possible not as hard as possible. People are intentionally trying to injure other players and that's inexcuseable.

I believe that Sports Center and all the highlight films are what is being played to here. This has nothing to do with winning the game, only to create a fearsome reputation, notoriety, and (they hope) more money.

Ha

I believe that Sports Center and all the highlight films are what is being played to here. This has nothing to do with winning the game, only to create a fearsome reputation, notoriety, and (they hope) more money.

Ha

I stopped playing football in HS. Even then, half your job as a linebacker was not only to hit the receiver, but to hit him hard enough to give him a second thought about reaching for the next ball. Intimidation has ALWAYS been part of the game.

I will also add that some of the nastiest hitters, guys really trying to hurt other players like LT, Butkis, etc played long before Sports Center and other cable sports shows.

My uncle was the team physician for the UofOR. He was always concerned about hits that injure the head and neck, two concussions and the player warmed the bench for the rest of the year, a third and you were off the team. I do not like to see young people risk their future for the sake of a game. Accidents happen but to tolerate purposeful injury is inexcusable.

My $0.02.

Face it, people love to see receivers get popped by safeties and corners. That's a big part of the appeal of the game.

It is my understanding that the NFL administrators review the rules at the end of each season and make changes as necessary.
I support increased head protection for the players and I do not applaud when my own team or any one else violates them.

I consider it a problem that the NFL suddenly and arbitrarily decides to change the rules in mid season for specific players. This lack of consistancy indicates that the NFL is poorly managed.

Free to Canoe

I prefer that they change the rules for safety ASAP, I do not support changing rules for specific players. If a player is willfully engaging in actions that puts others in danger then address that but maybe that should be the overriding philosophy of the rule changes. During the course of a game a player's actions result in penalties against the team, there still needs to be the option of penalties against a specific player for violations of the overriding philosophy.

I love football but will not support it if players are put in danger.

Not sure if it was because of the recent attention but in the games I watched this weekend there seemed to be less spearing.

The Vikings-Packers game was a good show.

Looks like the NFL is getting concerned that one Sunday afternoon they will have to cart off a dead guy in pads and that picture will turn the league into a two-hands-touch-below-the-waist league. 18 game schedule? Yea right.

What's next, no NASCAR crashes?

My attention is usually on the spandex leggings :cool:

The worst hit I ever saw was many many years ago when a quarterback's leg was broken, ending up in a most grisly and unnatural position. That clip was played over and Over and OVER and OVER again.
It made me nauseous to see it. :sick:

Back
Top Bottom